snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:44 am

For people that live in the US.

What's your accent?

I got the midlander

Quote:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I think I have it because I grew up with not very quick people and they couldn't hear right, so I had to enunciate my words very stringently so that they'd understand me.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:50 am

Montreal English, taberwai

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:57 am

snapcap wrote:
For people that live in the US.

What's your accent?

I got the midlander

Quote:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I think I have it because I grew up with not very quick people and they couldn't hear right, so I had to enunciate my words very stringently so that they'd understand me.

Different areas of PA have pretty distinct accents. Philly says wooter for water, Pittsburgh says dahn tahn for down town, if Missouri is anything like Southern Iowa there are all manner of odd colloquialisms. (like "piecing" for snacking and "ruf" for roof and "tray-sure" for treasure)
There's really no non-accent.

Oh, I forgot to add my accent: I'm Midwestern nasal with a bunch of odd Philly nonsense added in plus plenty of TV to even out the balance. I say horrible as "harrible" and with as "wit" if that helps at all. It's a MESS.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:30 am

If I lived in the USA I would want a Minnesotan accent, mostly because the movie Fargo is awesome.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:40 am

The South, but you knew that already.

What bothers me is that people who aren't from down here lump all Southern accents together, when they are all very different. A person from Tennessee doesn't sound at all like a person from Georgia, and a person from Atlanta doesn't sound at all like somebody from the Geechee coastal areas of Ga.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:41 am

I got the west which makes sense considering I'm from colorado, I've picked up a bit of a Minnesota accent before though when I've spent a while there.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:43 am

*edited* I just have a General/Western American accent.

This doesn't belong in PPR, does it?

Last edited by USMCnBNSFdude on 11 May 2012, 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:48 am

The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

From LA, so that makes sense. Heard it said once that people from LA are the only people in the world without an accent.

Probably not true. More likely that, because of the way American movies and television have saturated the rest of western culture, and because so many of them are made here, and feature actors who, at the very least, spend a lot of time here, it's just that the world has grown accustomed to the LA accent.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 3:26 am

I'm French Canadian, but apparently, I have a British accent in English and a French accent in French.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:10 am

<< Moved from PPR to Random, by mod. >>

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:13 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdi_-jvB0I[/youtube]

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:24 am

West Central Scotland - think Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, Billy Connolly, Robbie Coltrane (not in Harry Potter, I think that's a Cornish accent he's using). Scots accents vary a great deal between areas. Edinburgh is less than 50 miles away from here and the accent changes to east coast (which is distinctively different) about half way between here and there.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:51 am

Im from that group of English speakers who believe that there is a REASON that certain words contain the letter "r" in their spelling.

That reaason is: that you're supposed to PRONOUNCE the "r".

Though I live on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA near the nation's capital I seemed to have inherited the western/midwestern dialect of my parents. That means that when I announce that I am going to a "party" you know Im going to a social event,and not to a locked room to take a dump. Most Americans (and most upperclass Brits) pronounce "party" as "potty" so you have to use detective work to figure out from the context of the conversation which thing theyre talking about.

But on the other hand we dont go overboard and roll our "r's" either like some brits ( brits seemed to either drop them or roll them depending on region and class).

And we dont stick "r's' on the ends of words where they dont belong either!

In contrast to New Yorkers who use the noun "sore" to mean a certain carpenter's tool with a toothed metal blade that cuts wood!

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:52 am

I think mine is Yorkshire like... it's a rather strange voice anyway. Hahaha.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:53 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
West Central Scotland - think Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, Billy Connolly, Robbie Coltrane (not in Harry Potter, I think that's a Cornish accent he's using). Scots accents vary a great deal between areas. Edinburgh is less than 50 miles away from here and the accent changes to east coast (which is distinctively different) about half way between here and there.

I love the Scot's accents.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:26 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

I love the Scot's accents.
I love the NI ones too. Your video had me in stitches.