Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2012, 8:37 pm

I never thought that I was dressing like a guy, only wearing what was comfortable for me. I went through a bad time in college when I dressed almost exclusively in men's flannel shirts layered over t-shirts and jeans with boots. Other female students went around saying I was a lesbian. When I bought a leather jacket and a masculine looking hat, they were convinced. I'm straight. I couldn't understand why they cared so much? Who the hell has time to get all dressed up for an 8 am lab class anyway! Now I veer back and forth. I wear my fiance's long sleeved knit shirts in the winter, and I have a pair of black riding boots. I wear sweats or cropped pants, and I sleep in men's cotton boxer shorts and sleeveless tank tops. They are far more comfortable than women's sleepwear but not as pretty. I also have pretty dresses that I wear for special occasions, and several long cotton skirts that I pair with tunics sometimes. I feel that I am a comfortable mix of male/female, and it's fine!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 11:49 pm

I had a REALLY weird querk when I was in my 20's. I could NOT get a guy so I would dress in men's clothing, lie on the floor, and cry out loud. Now I'm married but, as of today, I feel like leaving him. I honestly feel as though I just don't love him anymore and that if I had a change of heart, it would be only out of guilt and responsility. I feel dead in my marriage. I wish I wasn't 50. I sometimes wish he would die or I would.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Jun 2012, 4:58 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
I feel dead in my marriage. I wish I wasn't 50. I sometimes wish he would die or I would.

That makes me sad.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm

I dressed more boyish when I was 12-13, and then kinda switched to jeans and tee mostly, non baggy. I've alternated throughout my life through dressing more girly v. boyish, although usually kinda frumpy. I am dirt poor right now so fashion really isnt something I can invest much time and finances into. Unfortunately living in San Francisco where everyone is rich, skinny, and well dressed it makes me stand out way more than when I lived in the midwest and was surrounded by fat people who shopped in PJ pants. I think if I had more free time and LOTS more money i wouldn't mind dressing more lady-like. I generally think though society is much too invested in fashion trends. Too much judgement going on and its all a massive contrivance by the fashion industry so they can constantly make people buy new s**t they dont need.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

At work I wear a uniform (security guard) which is perfectly fine by me, I like to dress like a guy anyway.

The last few years I've liked to shop for clothes in the men's department, even more so as I gained quite a lot of weight and had trouble finding women's clothes in the style I liked that fit me.
The men's department is perfect for me.

CustardFlip
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2012, 12:22 am

I usually wear sort-of-fitted but not skinny jeans or pants with a tank top, T-shirt or tunic all throughout the year, but I do have a few skirts and dresses for parties or when it gets really hot. The time and effort that goes into preparing my legs keeps me from doing it much however. I'm very pale with dark brown hair so I can't get away with a quick shaving job, I have to rip them all out... which is less than pleasant.

If it's not too warm I just throw on a legging underneath my dress and call it done.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

No, I am girly. I have gone through periods of my life where I dressed more like a guy. When I was a kid, I was a tomboy. I spent a lot of time outside with my little brothers and father doing "guy things". I felt I needed to "dress the part".

But now I wear girly things all the time, I tend to overdress sometimes. I love to wear dresses. I would wear formal dresses all the time if I could.

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

My style is a combination of tomboy, metalhead and nerd with some goth thrown in for good measure. Most of my more feminine clothes come under the area of gothic. I don't tend to do much makeup-wise, even in formal occasions except for some dark eye-makeup and foundation as I find lipstick unbearable (I can't eat or drink because I know its touching the food or drink).

Otherwise I tend to go nerd/tomboy/metal (jeans, vans, tees that are of metal bands or relating to the university in some way, black jacket or university hoodie). I've been criticized about it, but I am slightly overweight and I refuse to expand my wardrobe until I bother to lose the extra two dress sizes and keep it off for a bit.

My thinking is, if what I'm wearing is comfortable, appropriate for the occasion and I am otherwise groomed and presentable, why should it matter?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 4:25 pm

9of47 wrote:
My style is a combination of tomboy, metalhead and nerd with some goth thrown in for good measure. Most of my more feminine clothes come under the area of gothic. I don't tend to do much makeup-wise, even in formal occasions except for some dark eye-makeup and foundation as I find lipstick unbearable (I can't eat or drink because I know its touching the food or drink).

Otherwise I tend to go nerd/tomboy/metal (jeans, vans, tees that are of metal bands or relating to the university in some way, black jacket or university hoodie). I've been criticized about it, but I am slightly overweight and I refuse to expand my wardrobe until I bother to lose the extra two dress sizes and keep it off for a bit.

My thinking is, if what I'm wearing is comfortable, appropriate for the occasion and I am otherwise groomed and presentable, why should it matter?

I'm the same exact way. I don't dress the way I do because I am insecure and not confident but because I feel most secure and confident with who I am when I dress that way.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Dear
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2012, 4:56 am

I think that usually girls start wearing boys' clothes during certain periods in their lives and after feeling some romantic or other things that change them - they change their style as well...I also had a period when I wore jeans and t-shirts and now I prefer more feminine clothes...dresses...spike heels...

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

Not as a rule but sometimes in the past I have. When I was a teenager I dressed very "grungy" and androgynous, and shaved my head once. Then I went through a goth phase, and after having kids I started dressing fairly conventionally, though I do like things that are kind of bohemian/hippyish. Everything must be comfortable, though: I stick to 2" heels or less and won't wear nail polish more than a minimum of makeup because it bothers me. I do like long skirts and pretty jewelry (though I'm allergic to some metals), but I wear what appeals to me and have trouble being sure what's considered appropriate or, if I know, feeling comfortable in it.

rober
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

I were mixture of styles, according to occasion..

Syalbar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

When I was twelve - fourteen I'd wear the hip-hop style of clothes, you know, the baggy trousers and massively oversized shirt.
I think I've calmed it down a bit now though; I still like oversized, but I generally wear jumpers/longtops/leggings.
The bad thing is when it comes to family get-togethers and it's pretty much programmed into my mind that 'a coat and trousers just won't do'. Dresses look horrible on me, and I hate heels, but it still feels like everyone expects me to on put it on and act happy about it. :x

So yes, I do generally dress like a guy. :P

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
I feel dead in my marriage. I wish I wasn't 50. I sometimes wish he would die or I would.

That makes me sad.

That makes me sad too, because I know exactly what you mean, RightGalaxy. I dressed rather mannishly in my 20s. Except I find skirts more comfortable for my body shape.

setsuna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

All my friends say I dress like a boy. I'm really tall so I can't really buy women's clothes because they aren't long enough usually, but I find that men's clothes/underwear are a lot more comfortable.

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

I used to wear guys pants, hoodies, and tshirts almost exclusively when I was 14-16. Now, I generally wear feminine clothes though I still can't wear heavy makeup or frilly dresses/shirts or high heels without wanting to take it off after a couple hours. I like maxi dresses/skirts though. And I currently have a short pixie cut, which some might consider more masculine.