Do you prefer the Sims 2 or the Sims 3?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:51 am

I've always played the Sims 2, and I picked it up quick and know all the cheats and everything, and then when I saw the Sims 3 I thought it'd be way cooler because I could do much more, so I brought it and realised I couldn't do half as much on it as I could the Sims 2, and I started missing the Sims 2 so much that I had to uninstall the Sims 3 and reinstall the Sims 2.

On the Sims 3 I just found I couldn't make the characters I wanted. Their faces looked like they had double chins, and I couldn't get it to adjust their faces properly, whereas on the Sims 2 I could adjust their faces much better. And it was also harder to build a house, I couldn't get the camera at a good angle and it just seemed more complicated compared to the Sims 2. Also the neighbourhoods were easier in the Sims 2. Also I found I couldn't lock the doors on the Sims 3, and I always like to lock the doors because it drives me mad when they get in the wrong beds and you have to keep waking them up to put them in their right beds. And there's just lots of little things like that what I couldn't get on the Sims 3.

I just wish the Sims 3 was laid out like the Sims 2 but had more features and more options and so on, just so people don't have to get used to a whole different lay-out. Anyone else agree?

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:08 pm

I also played the Sims 2 (and Sims 1), with all the expansion and stuff packs. I enjoyed the Sims 2 a lot more than 1.

But I've found that once I got used to the new interface, and got a few expansion packs (I have all of the current ones, and stuff packs although some of them are pretty lame) Sims 3 was much better. I've found much more playability, and just setting your people up in a house, and just watching them rather than directing them is very, very enjoyable.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

14 May 2012, 3:10 pm

I think this should be moved to the Video Games forum. :wink:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:21 pm

I preferred the Sims 2 because it had more customizable content.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 3:58 pm

To start with I loved sims 2 more. Sims 3 go me very confused at first, but after a friend of mine helped me figure out the system <i think you kan have a lot more fun making patterns and colors in 3

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:11 pm

It took me months before I was able to play The Sims 3 properly. It's a nice game in itself, but it just doesn't have the appeal that The Sims 2 did. The characters, even though you can customize them with more options, are much less realistic. Something I've really noticed, though, was that The Sims 3 didn't have a lot of options. Of course, by then, I had all of The Sims 2's expansion packs.

The Sims 3 has also become a bit of a milking cow. Store items and stuff packs are generally worthless, and custom content is usually much better.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:23 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I preferred the Sims 2 because it had more customizable content.

Do you mean custom content? Sims 3 has more customizable content. Sims 2, because it's been out much longer has more custom content but certainly not customizable content. Actually, I think that now the Sims 3 has been out a while it has a lot more custom content really. Not in volume, but given the Sims 3's ability to be customized in the game it doesn't need as much to give variety.

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
The characters, even though you can customize them with more options, are much less realistic.

I definitely disagree with this. I don't think the Sims 2 was very realistic at all. I think the Sims 3 steps slightly closer to realistic, the traits system is far better than the 'star sign' system. Although I would like 'Likes & Dislikes' system to be brought back.

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
The Sims 3 has also become a bit of a milking cow. Store items and stuff packs are generally worthless, and custom content is usually much better.
I agree with this completely. Some of the stuff packs seem pointless, the one that sticks out in my mind as being the most pointless is Town Life.

To the people who prefer a more TS2 style game, but like the graphics and such of TS3, have you tried using AwesomeMod? Because a fair few of their optional features changes the games running style to make it more TS2-esq.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 4:25 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:

You are right in that one. I have stopped trying to catch up with all the expasions and all the things. It is simply become too big. But if I keepto what I have now (original and he two first expansions) I still prefer the gameplay in 3.

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:11 pm

TS2 all the way. I like jumping around the neighborhood playing different families, and all the other families stay just the way I left them and don't progress without my input. Also, I find the TS3 mods lacking compared to what's available for TS2, and the load times are ridiculous for a game that isn't really technically impressive.