Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:56 am

Except, autistics don't do "group"

viv
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2012, 12:30 pm

Even though he's probably gone, I still really like this idea - I'm going to come back here and keep posting suggestions in case any business owners see this or other Aspies want to add to it

here's another one

I have when shirts are in clear packaging that won't let you touch the material to see if it's comfortable. It would be cool if stores had a sample you can touch to get an idea of how comfortable the material is. I'm sure some NTs would appreciate this as well

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

I know that in the West Midlands, we can apply for cards for use in emergencies that explains on the back what our difficulties might be. These are free to apply for, thankfully I haven't had to use mine yet :)

I really hate sounding negative, because it's not the sort of person I am :? but I seriously doubt the NT world will adapt for us.
Maybe there is a niche in the market for Aspie-aimed establishments (not that we would want to encourage segregation).

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2012, 4:13 am

peterd wrote:
Except, autistics don't do "group"

If that was true, forums like these wouldn't exist.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

It's already been said, but low lighting is absolutely what is needed, places seem to be getting brighter and brighter theses days, aside from being a cause of fatigue/mania/headaches (even NT's get this!) /shutdown/meltdown it is unnecessary and costly. All that is needed is lighting to spotlight the product and tills/customer services, and enough light scatter or spotlight positions to illuminate the ground.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 6:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Perhaps you can teach the public that autism isn't a horrible disease or illness that needs to be cured or eradicated. You can also teach the public that autistics have the same feelings as everybody else, therefore they should have the same rights. We need to teach NTs to accept the entire spectrum of human diversity and that everybody should be made to feel welcome by everybody, no matter what their differences are.

First off, I hereby "this" the above quotation. Seriously, how hard is it to accept that there are people who may not look different, but have different "mental wiring?"

anneurysm wrote:
I second the recommendation for autistic-friendly events, such as sensory-friendly movie screenings.

I'll third this, and suggest that movie theaters in particular lower the volume, especially with action-type movies. When my fiance and I went to go see The Avengers in theaters, it was so loud HE wanted to leave (mind you, this is the man who watches the TV with the volume on 40+). Many of my NT friends have said that every theater they have been to has been way too loud. Having a separate section of restaurants, like a semi-closed off group of booths, or a side room (such as an old smoking room in states that have banned smoking in public buildings), where the music is lower, lights are dimmer, and it is set up to have less noise in general would be great, not only for Autistics, but for anyone who wants a more peaceful, relaxing atmosphere.

Bright lights are another big thing, particularly if they are florescent lights. I don't know about others, but I can pick up the flicker of florescent lights (the higher they are, the easier to pick up); on the other hand, if they are down lower, I can pick up the hum. Dim the lights, use incandescent, or even LED bulbs (which, by the way, are more energy efficient and cost effective in the long run), and only use bright ones where they are needed, such as spotlighting checkouts, customer service areas, and big displays.

anneurysm wrote:
As well, in terms of promoting acceptance, don't assume that when someone with autism does something out of the ordinary, that they are doing it intentionally or that it's someone's fault. Too often, I hear of the scenario of the parent trying to control their kid's meltdown in a public place, and even when they explain the kid is autistic, they will overhear someone saying it's bad parenting, or that the kids should know better.

Nine times out of ten, the kid simply either 1) does not know of all the expected behaviours required 2) is experiencing overload and has not found a method to control it. It is not due to defiance, stubbornness, or that they are intentionally trying to be a brat. They just haven't found the strategies that work for them yet...and it is tough to do so at a young age. Promoting acceptance and empathy for the people experiencing these behaviours, instead of making assumptions about them, should be a must if we, as society, are going to move forward in accepting people on the spectrum.

Self-regulation is important for people who are older. It is important to know what your triggers are when you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed, and what your plan is to calm down. For example, although I don't have sensory issues, I have racing thoughts and anxiety related to social situations: when I feel the need to "escape" I simply pretend to go to the bathroom for a few minutes and come out when I'm done.

I work as a cashier in a very busy, very loud supermarket, and I have had several children, and a few adults, on the spectrum come through my line. The one that sticks out in my mind the most is a kid, about 10-12, who was hiding in the cart under a blanket; he is terrified of thunder, and it was storming outside. He was already on the edge of a meltdown, and the sheer number of people doing their shopping that day was about to push him over. I had turned off my light just a second before (I was already 15 minutes overtime), but I waved him and his mother in. I managed to get him to tug the blanket off his head and told him that I am Autistic too (that earned me a grin); he started crying and rocking halfway through their order (there was a big boom of thunder that shook the building), his blanket over his head. After they left a woman next door said to her cashier, "I can't believe she didn't make him shut up! A boy that old shouldn't be riding in a cart and crying because of a little thunder."
I had to say something... "Ma'am, that sweet kid is Autistic, as am I. You have no idea just how hard it is for a person with Autism, particularly a kid, to keep calm when they are constantly bombarded by sounds, sights, smells, textures, and crowds, particularly when there is no way of predicting when the one sound that scares the crud out of them is coming. I am amazed and very proud of him for holding out that long."
She flushed bright red and didn't say a word. The same woman came through my line about a week later and thanked me for opening her eyes; she had run into another Autistic boy a few days later who was going into a meltdown at the mall. She told me that she stood still for a second, closed her eyes, and just listened; "I didn't realize just how loud the mall can be! There is a lot going on, and if that is only part of what he was getting, I can understand him being so upset!" (this is a direct quote, by the way) It was nice to get someone to understand, especially if she will pass on that knowledge.