Page 44 of 45 [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:03 pm

Today was the first day back at work since before Christmas. At one point a coworker walked by and he changed his hairstyle slightly and I did not recognize him. Like, he looked vaguely familiar, but it took me a while to figure out who he was. I don't have major faceblindness issues, but every now and then it can be a problem.

Quote:
Mine happened this afternoon when I was making a small pizza for lunch in the oven, and my stepmother had cooked a quiche in the oven last week that gave the inside of the oven a funny smell. Somehow, when the oven was heated up, the heat combined with the smell would trigger the smoke alarm to go off even if the oven door was opened only for a minute. My stepmom kept opening the oven to see where the smell was coming from, and so the smoke alarm kept getting set off. The smoke alarm, mind you, was only a few feet away, and the beeping sounded and felt REALLY LOUD to me. I kept having to trudge over to the smoke alarm and wave a towel under to shut it off, since neither my stepmom or my father were (I've learned that when my sensory issues get touched off, the only person I can depend on is myself) and about the 5th time this happened, I asked, annoyed, "Can we PLEASE take the batteries out of that thing already??" Of course the answer was "no," the way it was when I still lived at home most of the time and the seemingly constant ringing of the phone bothered me and I asked if we could disconnect that, too.

I'd probably want to throw the thing out the window if it kept going off like that.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

RichardJ wrote:
LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
Mine happened this afternoon when I was making a small pizza for lunch in the oven, and my stepmother had cooked a quiche in the oven last week that gave the inside of the oven a funny smell. Somehow, when the oven was heated up, the heat combined with the smell would trigger the smoke alarm to go off even if the oven door was opened only for a minute. My stepmom kept opening the oven to see where the smell was coming from, and so the smoke alarm kept getting set off. The smoke alarm, mind you, was only a few feet away, and the beeping sounded and felt REALLY LOUD to me. I kept having to trudge over to the smoke alarm and wave a towel under to shut it off, since neither my stepmom or my father were (I've learned that when my sensory issues get touched off, the only person I can depend on is myself) and about the 5th time this happened, I asked, annoyed, "Can we PLEASE take the batteries out of that thing already??" Of course the answer was "no," the way it was when I still lived at home most of the time and the seemingly constant ringing of the phone bothered me and I asked if we could disconnect that, too.

This is why my family never put fire alarms in the kitchen. We put them in adjacent rooms.

Ware I live we use rate of heat rise detectors

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 2:01 am

I have two from today:

1. This morning, an acquaintance asked via a social networking site whether it's safe to defrost meat "on the countertop." The initial response I posted: "It should be fine; just stick a plate under it."

I thought about the question again for a moment and realized that maybe she meant "on the countertop" to mean "out of the refrigerator" and replied again for clarification. It turns out that my first instinct was wrong and that she meant it in the less literal "out of the fridge" sense.

2. I went to a pet store tonight to buy some dog food; while there, a man asked if I knew of an emergency veterinary clinic (they had an injured dog). I gave him information on a couple of places then went to pay for the dog food. As I walked away from the checkout counter, I was feeling pretty good about the fact that I thanked the cashier appropriately when the man who I helped a couple minutes earlier thanked me as I walked out. My response: "Thank you!" 8O :oops: So yeah. That was embarrassing.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:12 pm

*Warning, brief discussion of feminine issues here*

Yesterday when my mom, my sisters, and I were eating at Steak 'n' Shake, my middle sister asked me if I had any extra pads. I was like, "Any extra pens? You want a pen?" (the restaurant was pretty loud) and my mom was like, "No, a pad!" And I was like, "Oh, a pad! Why didn't you say so? I've got plenty!" And I started to rifle around in my bag, and my mom said with a nervous chuckle, "No, no, go with E to the lady's room - don't give it to her here!!" And I was like, "Oh, okay." :lol:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm

My most recent moment had to do with a driving exam; not the real deal, but a test drive, to know what it will be like.
So outside the car, my usual instructor suddenly pointed at another car and asked "Can you read what's on that number plate?" and I answered back with "yes". Then after a pause, he laughed, and said 'Funny. Now tell me what's on it."
For the test itself, we had to pick up another instructor to observe, and when the new instructor asked the same question, I obliviously answered "yes". And got prompted to share it again.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

Forgetting to wear my underwear and wearing my shirt backwards to work. (This happened when I was 40.)

- Edgar Allan Poe -

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2014, 5:41 pm

This morning I woke up with an odd feeling of anxiety in my stomach. I thought my boyfriend might have been mad at me about something. Didn't want to find out about it through a text at work and have an anxiety attack and/or cry whilst there, so...called in sick.

http://bit.ly/1L29X77

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 12:51 am

I was taking a plane this afternoon, and when we landed, we hit the runway with a huge KER-WHAM! and I was already feeling kind of airsick from the descent, so I hung onto my hoodie for dear life, snuggled it against my face, rocked gently in my seat a little bit, and felt somewhat better. Luckily the two fellows I was sitting between didn't seem to notice.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

TobiasMurphy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2014, 1:04 am

I threw a 3-second mini-tantrum at someone today who wouldn't get out of my way. I made her cry for a minute. :-(

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 1:11 am

I had a meltdown from sensory overload yesterday and banged my head against a cinder block wall.

Wreck It Ralph

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2014, 1:45 am

I was looking for something in my house earlier tonight and couldn't find it - I had gone down to the basement twice and was getting frustrated enough to start a little tantrum about it, complete with whining & squealing "I can't take this sh*t I just can't!" :oops:

I hate hate hate having to "go hunting" as I put it, in my own house! :evil:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:17 am

Fell asleep at my computer at 11PM Woke up a 3:15 AM. Did I do what a normal person would do and go to my bed to sleep the rest of the night. No. I resumed what I was doing online and now it is 5:50 AM and I'm posting on Wrong Planet.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ghonx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2014, 5:24 am

I'm going through it at the moment. our house is having a new kitchen installed, and there's a constant ruckus of builders. The electric is switched off without warning, and today there's no hot water. It'll be like this for weeks, leaving me stuck upstairs

greengirl27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2014, 5:00 pm

Someone said they were doing an event and would be handing out vintage sweets. My response was 'why would people want mouldy old sweets?'. They meant vintage as in in old fashioned/traditional.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:17 pm

i dont have moments per say, but there are sometimes when i embarrass myself because of my autism, like when my teacher said "bikes are big in Italy" and i thought they were literally large but when she showed a picture of italian bikes, they looked normal size, and i said "They look the same size to me" and once i realized i felt kinda silly.

but i dont have moments of autism but i do try and hide it and it slips out sometimes , most of the time i dont really notice it and people point it out, like my fascination with sonic or when i cover my ears at the sound of the bus.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

I was buying some fruit from a farmer friend at the farmers market. I asked how the end of the season was going for her. She said it was ok, but she would be happy for rain. I misunderstood her meaning and said something about how, Yes, the rain will bring an end to work for awhile, thinking she meant she needed a break from work. But then she made a comment that made it clear she was talking about wanting rain because of the drought. I felt really stupid.