struggling to identify my feelings>_<

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eureka7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2012, 12:46 am

I can never say how I'm feeling! like right now I can't explain how I feel! I'm not sad, happy, angry, or scared....it's just...blah.

When people ask how i am..I have to pause and really think about it. I usually just go with "I'm fine" and have a fake smile. but I don't even know half the time what my emotion is:/

is this an aspie thing?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 1:54 am

That's usually how I feel. There are up blahs and down blahs. The down ones are depression related, the up ones are just a sort of neutral place. I don't know why I usually feel that way.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 2:25 am

I always feel like that. D: Usually I just try to make up an emotion that I think I feel. If I do feel anything it's usually the bouts of anxiety I deal with from my parents.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 2:50 am

How about "Confused"? Feel the same way you always feel? Might help if you had someone like me there, so we can watch what is happening? We normally stand on the outskirts of the group & we don't travel round talking to people. We just listen where we stand & observe.

Would neutral be like at one with self, relaxed, calm. Maybe?

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2012, 4:15 am

This is me as well. I can never tell what I'm feeling or why I'm feeling it. I have to really think about it to get any idea of what emotion I might be feeling and even then I'm just guessing. It can be quite frustrating sometimes, but thankfully I'm not very emotional, most of the time I'm just feeling nothing.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:22 am

Hmm... Interesting, I'm usually more "Meh" than "Blah". :D

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 5:04 am

Stop confusing them about the emotions.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

jspope
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2012, 5:11 am

it's not an aspie thing. everybody feels "blah" pretty much all the time, but when somebody asks you how you're feeling, it's simply a matter of convention that no matter how you're feeling you reply "good" or "fine". "how are you" is just a way for people to establish an initial connection and move on from there to more interesting conversation.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2012, 6:00 am

oh, i am so dumb at this - what is meant by 'blah' and 'meh'? :oops:

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:32 am

jspope wrote:
it's not an aspie thing. everybody feels "blah" pretty much all the time, but when somebody asks you how you're feeling, it's simply a matter of convention that no matter how you're feeling you reply "good" or "fine". "how are you" is just a way for people to establish an initial connection and move on from there to more interesting conversation.

Ignoring the social convention, and the rather natural reticence to reply to such a question when sprung out of the blue, it seems that Alexithymia is very common and very real for many aspies.

Even with time to consider the question I'm always stumped when it comes to describing or even understanding how I feel. Whole days go by without thinking of or being aware of any feeling at all.

I was recently reading a newspaper article (I forget the context and background) about half a dozen young women describing how they felt about their lives and where they were going. I was stunned by the richness of the language that they used to describe their feelings and the depth of self awareness that they showed. I really did not know that people had the capacity to understand themselves to such a level.

MikaNeko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2012, 8:52 am

I can relate to that. Often when people ask how am feeling I say I'm okay although usually I dont know how I am feeling.

Your Aspie score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

日本語をならっています。

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 10:15 am

nemorosa wrote:
Ignoring the social convention, and the rather natural reticence to reply to such a question when sprung out of the blue, it seems that Alexithymia is very common and very real for many aspies.

Alexithymia also imply a lack of imagination, which is not the case of most aspies.

sepia wrote:

To be neutral, not be aware of feelings really. Which for us is most of the time, except for when there is strong and obvious emotions.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 May 2012, 10:35 am

jspope wrote:

On the contrary, it is something common to autistic spectrum disorders. It's called "alexithymia." And while everybody feels "blah" at least some of the time, there is a discrete and identifiable difference between NTs who feel that way and autistic people who are unable to describe or identify our own emotions.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2012, 5:00 pm

I find it difficult to identify my emotions unless I stop and think about it. When someone asks "how are you?" most of the time they don't want anything more than "fine" and an invite for them to talk about themselves.
I met someone new today, a visitor to the house, and I knew I should show an interest and try to say polite things, because I do want to be more sociable - but I was stressed at being asked questions on how I was and what I was doing and where I'd been today by a stranger.

Most of the time I don't feel much of anything. But I can identify "stressed" "anxious" "sad" feelings. I like how it feels when I am zoned out and totally involved in an activity but it's hard to describe it beyond "peace".

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:47 pm

jspope wrote:

True, but with certain people such as family and close friends you should be able to elaborate on your feelings and it is expected that you are honest about your feelings most of the time. I've just finished a round of CBT - my counsellor loved to ask the question "So how are you feeling now?" at regular intervals, I really struggled with that question.

Jason

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:52 pm

sepia wrote:

An example of the use of the word "meh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwzOMFsQ8Y

meaning in this case, "not impressive" or just feeling non-committal.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman