Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 162
Location: the TARDIS

20 May 2012, 3:28 pm

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by anxiety, and usually a tight hug or some "normal" stimming (spinning side to side, rocking, also singing) will soothe me. When it happened one hour ago, though, I couldn't calm myself so I started hitting myself on the head with my wrists, and I calmed down. I know I shouldn't do things like this, but what I am really afraid of is that if I do it again out of desperation it might become addictive. I have Trich and that's already too much to deal with. :(


_________________
At age 24, 4 months and 10 days I was officially told: "Congratulations! You are an Aspie".
Now I write about it --> http://happilyclueless.me


AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,186
Location: Houston, Texas

20 May 2012, 3:32 pm

I'd say work on developing positive stims, which will largely take the place of negative stims. And anything above 93% positive, I think is plenty good enough.



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,186
Location: Houston, Texas

20 May 2012, 7:37 pm

Maybe something as simple as a good self hug with firm squeezes and releases of your shoulder muscles?



CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 487
Location: Deep South USA

20 May 2012, 8:00 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Maybe something as simple as a good self hug with firm squeezes and releases of your shoulder muscles?


as in squeeze the shoulder blades together and release?



Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,725

20 May 2012, 8:06 pm

faerie_queene87 wrote:
Sometimes I get overwhelmed by anxiety, and usually a tight hug or some "normal" stimming (spinning side to side, rocking, also singing) will soothe me. When it happened one hour ago, though, I couldn't calm myself so I started hitting myself on the head with my wrists, and I calmed down. I know I shouldn't do things like this, but what I am really afraid of is that if I do it again out of desperation it might become addictive. I have Trich and that's already too much to deal with. :(

I really like your avatar. Did you draw it?



glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 468
Location: Missouri USA

20 May 2012, 8:44 pm

Maybe you could make a list or flow chart of stims that you like, starting with a simple level and then going to a higher level or things to try if the others fail? Hitting yourself would not be on the list, but you could try to think of some things that would soothe you instead of that. Like take a hot shower if you like that, or sing and take a shower, or put cold water on a washcloth onto your eyes, or lay under a pile of blankets or a certain song you could sing with that would get some of your anxiety out and bring you back to calm.

I need lists to remind myself of what "fixes" me best. otherwise in the moment of trauma when I need them I forget what to do. I would definitely encourage you toward any way of being nicer to yourself, rather than hitting.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
EQ 12 SQ 70 = Extreme Systemizer


legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 313

21 May 2012, 12:08 pm

i know the feeling....reach a point of desperation and hit myself in the head probably enough to cause a small concusion, and cause a small numbness in my head and a decrease in thought.

i try not to as well...but every now and then i reach a breaking point.

guess it's better then cutting....maybe.



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,186
Location: Houston, Texas

21 May 2012, 1:59 pm

When I sometimes watched my college tennis team as a spectator back in the 80s (and it took me three times to graduate from college!), there was a player from Europe who would sometimes slap her thigh when she got frustrated. And this seemed to be accepted by her teammates as just one of her things.

PS And this tennis player may have actually been Aspie, or she may have simply marched to her own drummer, and either way is perfectly alright.



faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 162
Location: the TARDIS

24 May 2012, 3:19 pm

legomyego wrote:
i know the feeling....reach a point of desperation and hit myself in the head probably enough to cause a small concusion, and cause a small numbness in my head and a decrease in thought.

i try not to as well...but every now and then i reach a breaking point.

guess it's better then cutting....maybe.


:? omg no please don't harm yourself, that's not good at all

glasstoria wrote:
Maybe you could make a list or flow chart of stims that you like, starting with a simple level and then going to a higher level or things to try if the others fail? Hitting yourself would not be on the list, but you could try to think of some things that would soothe you instead of that. Like take a hot shower if you like that, or sing and take a shower, or put cold water on a washcloth onto your eyes, or lay under a pile of blankets or a certain song you could sing with that would get some of your anxiety out and bring you back to calm.

I need lists to remind myself of what "fixes" me best. otherwise in the moment of trauma when I need them I forget what to do. I would definitely encourage you toward any way of being nicer to yourself, rather than hitting.


I think it's a very good idea, thank you :) Btw, I absolutely love flow charts xD
To be honest, singing usually calms me down, but it was late and I didn't want to disturb the neighbors :-/

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Maybe something as simple as a good self hug with firm squeezes and releases of your shoulder muscles?


Definitely gonna try that :D


Rascal77s wrote:
I really like your avatar. Did you draw it?


I wish I did! But no, I found it on the internet. I like both characters very much :)


_________________
At age 24, 4 months and 10 days I was officially told: "Congratulations! You are an Aspie".
Now I write about it --> http://happilyclueless.me