If there is a next step in human evolution (which there will

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Will ASD be the next step in human evolution?
Yes 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Not really, but ASD will better complement the next step in evolution 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Not at all 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 27

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2012, 6:59 am

This is a side-thread (excursion) to the main thread entitled
"How come so many people here treat AS like a race/club? "

in which the following topic was raised.

Quote:
"If there is a next step in human evolution (which there will be some time) - autism and Asperger's is not it."

Many are happy with being on the spectrum.
Many are not.
Some may think that, having AS, they're somehow more advanced/developed/etc than NTs?
Many will not.

My opinion: ASD is not on the path of evolution.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:03 am

Well, the thing is, any mutation is a form of evolution, so if ASD involves a mutation, wouldn't that make it a part of evolution by default?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:24 am

What are these steps of evolution I keep hearing about?

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2012, 7:26 am

Evolution - Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
...so, no, mutation by itself is not evolution unless it gets carried to your children, and their children.
I don't think aspies really have the natural selection bit sorted yet, either.
I believe future evolution is inevitable, but that it will come from more than just a 1% section of the human race that isn't particularly known for excessive breeding.
It will include aspies, but HOPEFULLY include others too

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:31 am

bnky wrote:
Evolution - Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
...so, no, mutation by itself is not evolution unless it gets carried to your children, and their children.
I don't think aspies really have the natural selection bit sorted yet, either.
I believe future evolution is inevitable, but that it will come from more than just a 1% section of the human race that isn't particularly known for excessive breeding.
It will include aspies, but HOPEFULLY include others too

If the mutation is there and doesn't interfere with reproduction, it is a part of evolution. If I assume ASD is hereditary, people with ASDs do reproduce and the mutation can be passed on to offspring making it part of evolution.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:15 am

Newp.

And I don't even think Asperger's a disorder, per se, I think it is a completely normal part of human evolution.

But if we're going forward we will become something better, there are some benefits to AS and ADHD but the disadvantages are very real.

I think the next group will be very well-rounded, gifted and genius NTs. I've known a few and I can't say I'm not jealous.

HDTV...

Whatever.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 9:18 am

I may be confused but isn't everyone that contributes to the gene pool part of the evolution? Also I don't believe evolution is always for the better, as far as I understand it you can evolve yourself right into extinction.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 9:39 am

jonny23 wrote:
I may be confused but isn't everyone that contributes to the gene pool part of the evolution? Also I don't believe evolution is always for the better, as far as I understand it you can evolve yourself right into extinction.

You can, sort of. That's what Aspies have done, basically. Or just failed to adapt.

If you believe that everyone was once autistic, I've read that around 10,000 years ago all people were believed to be very similar to what we call autism and schizophrenia today. It was said they had "bicameral" minds.

But yes, everyone is a part of it and NTs are now the majority because their traits were better suited for survival.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 9:44 am

Have submitted a 'Not at all' vote.

bnky wrote:

This explains some of what I was going to say, and it's why autism is not at all the next step in evolution. Whatever traits are favoured in natural selection they will at least be more "social" traits than autism and Asperger's as man eventually evolves into something, well, "super human", just as precursory life forms (primates) evolved into us.

Of course this new "super-human" species might co-exist with man as we know it, that's likely, just as the primates still exist. But we'd see less autistic traits carried on in any new species, and relatively more of them left behind in man.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 9:55 am

I will not answer this question as it is stupid, evolution does not have steps.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:05 am

Keeno wrote:
Have submitted a 'Not at all' vote.

bnky wrote:

This explains some of what I was going to say, and it's why autism is not at all the next step in evolution. Whatever traits are favoured in natural selection they will at least be more "social" traits than autism and Asperger's as man eventually evolves into something, well, "super human", just as precursory life forms (primates) evolved into us.

Of course this new "super-human" species might co-exist with man as we know it, that's likely, just as the primates still exist. But we'd see less autistic traits carried on in any new species, and relatively more of them left behind in man.

It seems that the evidence suggest this is not true or we'd already see a decline in autistic traits. Unrelated to autistic trait there is nothing that says we'll evolve into "Super humans" I've always found the saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." kinda funny cause there are two possible outcomes there.

Species5618
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2012, 10:06 am

First of all, evolution is a smooth and continuous process. It doesn't happen in steps. Nothing is ever a "next step in evolution".

Secondly, if ASS is the direction where humanity is evolving to, you would expect people on the spectrum to reproduce more than average, which is how the genes are propagated. This doesn't seem to be the case. On the contrary, many people with ASS have difficulties with intimate relationships.

Finally, I don't really think that the human race as a whole is evolving at all right now. Evolution happens because the environment around the species changes and only those specimens that have the right genes to be able to adapt to the changes will successfully reproduce. Humanity is keeping the environment controlled, we're living in houses in cities, usually far from the less forgiving outdoors which forces species to adapt. In addition, our technology and medical knowledge allows us to extend the lives of people who would've otherwise died and to allow people that would be unable to have offspring without assistance to be able to reproduce. In a way, we're counteracting evolution. The effects of it aren't noticeable however on the timescale of human medicine (3000 years at most).

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:07 am

Ganondox wrote:

You are correct but I think what they are questioning is the direction our evolution.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:11 am

Species5618 wrote:
First of all, evolution is a smooth and continuous process. It doesn't happen in steps. Nothing is ever a "next step in evolution".

Secondly, if ASS is the direction where humanity is evolving to, you would expect people on the spectrum to reproduce more than average, which is how the genes are propagated. This doesn't seem to be the case. On the contrary, many people with ASS have difficulties with intimate relationships.

Finally, I don't really think that the human race as a whole is evolving at all right now. Evolution happens because the environment around the species changes and only those specimens that have the right genes to be able to adapt to the changes will successfully reproduce. Humanity is keeping the environment controlled, we're living in houses in cities, usually far from the less forgiving outdoors which forces species to adapt. In addition, our technology and medical knowledge allows us to extend the lives of people who would've otherwise died and to allow people that would be unable to have offspring without assistance to be able to reproduce. In a way, we're counteracting evolution. The effects of it aren't noticeable however on the timescale of human medicine (3000 years at most).

I think you're getting natural selection and evolution confused. You can have evolution without any change in the environment. Also you do not have to reproduce more than average to be successful, although it helps.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:13 am

jonny23 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

You are correct but I think what they are questioning is the direction our evolution.

Evolution does not have direction either.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:17 am

Ganondox wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Evolution does not have direction either.

Everything that moves has a direction. It may be chaotic and unpredictable but it is moving.