What is your biggest fear for your child with Autism?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

daclark5
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2012, 7:51 am

I work with students with autism and I would like to hear what a parent's biggest fear is?

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:56 am

WOW...I have several:

1. that my son will get taken advantage of or worse, becasue he is so pure of mind, he doesnt understand who could trick him or why. If someone smiles at him he thinks they are a nice person.

2. That my son wil never learn to follow rules or directions, and not ba a productive member of society.

3. That my son will turn to drugs as an adult to deal with life.

4. That my son will never see others POV or understand about others thoughts, feelings, wants and needs.

5. That my son will grow up resenting me, as I am his primary caretaker, and I am the one who "makes" him do things he doesnt want to do (like eating, schoolwork, getting dressed, putting time limits on his video games, etc...)

I could go on and on but I guess those are my top 5.

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:18 am

That he will eventually get diagnosed with "The big R."

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:26 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:

whats that?

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

hoegaandit
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2012, 8:37 am

My biggest fear is that my son will not be able to make the transition to the normal adult life and that his life will be unsatisfactory in consequence. There is undoubtedly a significant risk that he cannot get a job, or at least an adequate job, that he will not be able to find a partner, and that he will have few friends (he does not really have any friends now).

alongfortheride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2012, 8:39 am

I think it will really vary depending on the age of the kids. Obviously the issues are different for a parent of a preschooler vs a student in high school where their potential is while not fixed, more known. My son is in high school.

I have several as well.

1. That he won't be happy in life.

2. That he will never truly understand what a real friendship is. His friendships are all fairly superficial. I want him to be able to build real relationship and and a support system outside of family. He needs to give as well as receive and initiate social events/interaction.

3. Employment. He is very bright but unable to do the chit chat around the water cooler bit most of the time and certainly couldn't chat up a customer etc. That latter part would keep him from many fields of employment. I'm afraid the social communication issues would keep him from being employed/meeting his full potential.

Last edited by alongfortheride on 22 May 2012, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:41 am

MMJMOM wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

whats that?

We are not allowed to use that word.

alongfortheride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2012, 8:52 am

I'm guessing, but I think, "Cognitively Impaired" may be what Wreck-gar is after. Am I correct?

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 9:04 am

alongfortheride wrote:
I'm guessing, but I think, "Cognitively Impaired" may be what Wreck-gar is after. Am I correct?

Yeah...hopefully unfounded since he's already reading at age four but he still cannot sit still in preschool and barely speaks (though he does have a decent vocabulary.)

Before I start worrying about if he'll be able to get a job he needs to be able to get through school...his speech therapist says they are still working on "getting him to sit at the table."

aspiemomdfw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2012, 10:56 am

That the school system and his NT peers with grind down, squash and utterly destroy his love of learning and belief that he will one day grow up and help the world be a better place. He is slowly realizing just how cruel his peers and so many adults are to him just because he is different. It is a horrible process to watch even though I know that he will be just fine as an adult and, as his therapist keeps telling me, that this process and social practice will prepare him for life and develop his social skills.

If you really want to ask the question then here's the answer - My greatest fear for him is Depression and the place it takes so many children who feel like there is no where that they truly belong.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 11:53 am

MMJMOM wrote:
Wreck-Gar wrote:

whats that?

ret*d.

I don't know who told him we can't use it here. Just as long as it's used in the right way and not as an insult I see nothing wrong with it.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 12:20 pm

aspiemomdfw wrote:
That the school system and his NT peers with grind down, squash and utterly destroy his love of learning and belief that he will one day grow up and help the world be a better place. He is slowly realizing just how cruel his peers and so many adults are to him just because he is different. It is a horrible process to watch even though I know that he will be just fine as an adult and, as his therapist keeps telling me, that this process and social practice will prepare him for life and develop his social skills.

If you really want to ask the question then here's the answer - My greatest fear for him is Depression and the place it takes so many children who feel like there is no where that they truly belong.

Yup, this. ^^

I also worry that one of my sons will isolate himself. He doesn't need people, until he NEEDS them...y'know? I can see him getting into a viscous cycle of isolation and loneliness.

And that they won't find their niches. I feel like if they can find that one career/job that fits their particular skill sets we will be golden. I worry about what happens if we can't help them find that.

NigNag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2012, 12:24 pm

1. Drugs & Alcohol
2. Jail for something he did not understand, taken advantage of , anger...
3. Employment

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 12:41 pm

That he'll be diagnosed early, medicated heavily, and have his limitations read to him so often and so authoratatively that it will never occur to him to try actually living life.

Or, lacking that, that he'll remain so innocently irritating that he won't have a chance to develop some realistic concept of self before he learns that he's a loser, unwanted and unwantable.

I'm lucky to have fears like that. Doesn't make them any less real.

I get so MAD sometimes!! !! !

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 2:02 pm

Wreck-Gar wrote:

I don't think you need to worry about that one now. Mine won't sit at the table either and his reading is taking off too. He's a lot of things but that isn't one of them.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Some of my biggest fears are that he'll run off and get hit by a car or drown in someone's swimming pool. That he will always need me and I will not be able to provide for him. That he will become violent and too big for me to handle. That he will be bullied or molested and unable to tell me. I could go on but don't care to.