Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2012, 6:39 pm

I think everyone is different, but for me, my family life and aspergers had a direct impact on my depression. My family didn't get me, they were trying to normalize me, they didn't listen and couldn't understand situations that were a bit deep to explain, and blamed many things on me but expected me to be confident. They forced me to do unnecessary things I didn't want to do such as playing the trumpet even after giving it a whole year to see if I would "change" my mind on interests like a number of other children. Now I look back, I realize that I was right about my interests, but I was not able to express the unfair social factors that would be involved since I wasn't into some of these activities seriously enough like some of my classmates. It was really the unfair social factors and mentally unsafe environments that I had to deal with. Probably unhealthy for me when it's constantly happening, but sometimes we have to go through these type of things to grow :/

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2012, 10:13 am

I've resigned my self to long term moderate depression.
Where I live you actually get scored on a points sheet as to how depressed you are.
Below a certain score, you're not serious enough to be treated at all, above that, you get treated.
I got a counsellor who's only use to me was sounding off to get things off my chest.
I had a 'good' week, (which was planned in advance), my score improved, I was deemed 'cured', no more treatment. 2 weeks later I was back to my previous base line in mood, but no more treatment...

thewritingowl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2012, 2:04 am

These are two subjects that I am personally acquainted with. Why is is that so many of us with AS have problems with depression? Sometimes it can be extremely hard to decide where the overactive autistic brain finishes and depression begins? We are just not wired to really cope with the NT world and so depression rears its ugly head. Please check out my writing on the subject for more, it can be found on my thewritingowl Hub Pages. New article Aspergers Syndrome and Depression.

thewritingowl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2012, 2:06 am

These are two subjects that I am personally acquainted with. Why is is that so many of us with AS have problems with depression? Sometimes it can be extremely hard to decide where the overactive autistic brain finishes and depression begins? We are just not wired to really cope with the NT world and so depression rears its ugly head. Please check out my writing on the subject for more, it can be found on my thewritingowl Hub Pages. New article Aspergers Syndrome and Depression.

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2012, 11:21 pm

I think depression is part of the package. I've had three episodes of major depression but really didn't get much help until the last one about 8 years ago. I saw a good counselor for about a year and a half. One thing she recommended (as well as journalling- which I do on my blog- and choosing my social interactions carefully) was to talk to my family Dr. as well and let him know that I'm an Aspie (or high functioning autistic if you prefer that term) and that I have a history of major depression, anxiety and panic attacks. My Dr. (who is now retired and I really miss him, because he was very thorough) put me on two medications - fluoxetine (Prozac) and clonidine (Catapres) to help with my depression and anxiety. Thankfully these medications are very helpful for me.

These medications don't make me "normal." My wiring is the same, but I can think more clearly without wigging out constantly and they do improve my quality of life. I understand that there is a strong history in my family of mental illness - my mother is bi-polar, her father was likely also bi-polar, (the last 5 years of his life he was committed to an insane asylum) and he died at age 53 from cirrhosis of the liver caused by alcohol abuse. My father had an uncle who was committed to the VA hospital and died at age 46, but he had a head injury that may have been the cause of his violent outbursts and psychotic behavior.

I don't know if depression and anxiety are just part of the Aspie package or if they are part of a sort of perfect storm-perhaps the right genetic input combined with the right environmental factors= autism and related conditions, I do know that most Aspies I know of have issues with anxiety and depression so there is probably something there.

I do think talking with your family Dr. as well as your counselor is excellent advice if you are dealing with mental health issues. Even if your family Dr. is not cool with addressing mental health issues, he likely can refer you to a psychiatrist or neurologist who may be able to help. Everyone has to look for their own solutions and keep asking and trying until you find ways to cope and improve your quality of life.

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

Over the span of a more than a decade, I have tried every antidepressant and all of them sent my anxiety through the roof. Waiting enough time for potential side effects to diminish didn't help either. I have been told by some doctors that this can happen with Autism/ADHD so it's not abnormal. I am also overly sensitive to meds so that doesn't help. I have to cope in other ways. Sometimes I'm able to manage, sometimes I'm not.

Right now, I'm concerned because I can't seem to get upset/emotional over anything. I have gone through so much, especially in the last few years, I've trained my mind to put feelings aside and instead focus on solving problems. Basically, I'm operating in survival mode 24/7. Not being able to release emotion is likely a HUGE factor in my depression.

G.