translate a paragraph about AS into German or Russian

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 12:43 pm

There is a man in a martial art class I take who noticed some of my AS tendencies (stimming, lack of eye contact) and commented on them. I tried too explain my AS to him, but as English is his third language I had trouble (probibly because I have a hard time not using technical terms and apparently he was not familiar with the terms Asperger's or autism).

I am wondering if someone would be willing to translate a paragraph I wrote to explain my AS in to German or Russian so that I could give it to him.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:18 am

I'd be willing to translate your text to German for you (German is my native language). Just post your text here or send it to me via a private message. I'm afraid I cannot help you with a Russian version of the text at all.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:46 am

German is fine, thank you. He lived in Germany for over 20 years.

I have a form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome. This is a neurobiological disorder that I was born with. Current evidence indicates that this is a genetic disorder with environmental influences. As this is a neurobiological disorder, this means my brain is different. I have trouble processing the world around me. This is in part why I do not make eye contact, because it is harder for me to pay attention to what I am doing and what is said to me when I look at other people’s faces. I am also extra sensitive to certain noises, smells, and textures, such that the sensory information can quickly overwhelm the processing centers of my brain and I become overwhelmed. This is why I will wear earplugs when the car stereo shop next door to the dojo plays loud music. I also do several repetitive movements such as shaking my hands, rocking back and forth, cracking my knuckles, shaking my legs, and rubbing my hands. I do these to some extent all of the time, but it is more prominent if I am anxious. After a long day, I am generally rather anxious by the time Aikido starts, and thus I am more likely to do these movements during class. I am uncomfortable with physical contact, although I have managed to tolerate the grabs and pins for Aikido, but I do not like hugs, pats on the back, handshakes, or any other physical contact. I have trouble processing verbal information, so I may not understand when people talk, or I have trouble remembering what they said. When I am stressed my speech becomes fast, and I stutter and I may be difficult to understand. I may also go into over detailed explanations. I have several intense interests such as traffic patterns correlated with road construction, the Star Wars book series before 2005, biological physiology systems, germ pathology, the book series about the Lord of the Rings, the Japanese show Bleach, and cats. But I am rarely interested in other subjects that my social peers are interested in, and I am content with that. I am unique, even if I do not fit the mold of society, and that makes me special. I care more about facts than emotions, and I am very intelligent. I am one person out of many with an autism spectrum disorder.

Thank you very much.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:42 am

Ich habe eine Art von Autismus, die Asperger-Autismus genannt wird. Das ist eine neurobiologische Störung, mit der ich geboren wurde. Nach dem momentanen Stand der Forschung handelt es sich dabei um eine genetisch bedingte Störung, bei der auch Umwelteinflüsse eine Rolle spielen. Der Begriff "neurobiologische Störung" bedeutet, dass mein Gehirn anders funktioniert. Ich habe Schwierigkeiten damit, die Welt um mich herum richtig wahrzunehmen und meine Sinneseindrücke zu verarbeiten. Das ist ein Grund dafür, warum ich keinen direkten Blickkontakt aufnehme, denn es ist schwierig für mich, meine Aufmerksamkeit auf das zu richten, was ich tue und was zu mir gesagt wird, wenn ich anderen Leuten dabei ins Gesicht schaue. Ich reagiere außerdem besonders sensibel auf bestimmte Geräusche, Gerüche oder Oberflächenbeschaffenheiten; diese Sinneseindrücke können die Verarbeitungszentren in meinem Gehirn sehr schnell überreizen und mich überfordern. Deshalb trage ich Ohrstöpsel, wenn im Radio-Geschäft neben dem Dojo laute Musik läuft. Manchmal wiederhole ich auch einige Bewegungen wie das Schütteln meiner Hände, das Vor-und-Zurück-Schaukeln, das Knackenlassen meiner Fingerknöchel, das Schütteln meiner Beine und das Reiben meiner Hände. Das mache ich bis zu einem gewissen Grad immer, aber wenn ich aufgeregt oder ängstlich bin, wird es ausgeprägter. Nach einem anstrengenden Tag bin ich meist ziemlich aufgeregt, wenn das Aikido beginnt, und deshalb führe ich diese Bewegungen während des Trainings verstärkt aus. Obwohl ich mich mit körperlichem Kontakt nicht wohfühlel, schaffe ich schaffe die Griffe und das Gehalten-Werden des Aikidos zu ertragen, aber Umarmungen, Schulterklopfen, Händeschütteln oder andere Formen von körperlichem Kontakt mag ich nicht. Ich habe Probleme, gesprochene Informationen zu verarbeiten, deshalb kann es sein, dass ich Einiges nicht richtig verstehe, wenn jemand spricht, oder dass ich Probleme habe, mich an das Gesagte zu erinnern. Wenn ich unter Stress stehe, spreche ich sehr schnell und fange an zu stottern und es kann schwierig sein, mich zu verstehen. Ich kann mich auch in weitschweifigen Erklärungen verlieren. Ich habe mehrere ausgeprägte Interessen wie zum Beispiel die Verkehrsflüsse, die durch Straßenbaumaßnahmen erzeugt werden, die Bücher der Star-Wars-Reihe vor 2005, biologisch-physiologische Systeme, pathogene Keime, die Bücher der Herr-der-Ringe-Serie, die japanische Sendung Bleach und Katzen. Aber andere Themen, für die sich Menschen meines Alters und sozialen Umfeldes interessieren, interessieren mich kaum und das ist für mich in Ordnung. Ich bin einzigartig, auch wenn ich nicht dem Durchschnitt unserer Gesellschaft entspreche, und das macht mich besonders. Für mich sind Fakten wichtiger als Gefühle und ich bin sehr intelligent. Ich bin eine von vielen Personen mit einer Autismus-Spektrum-Störung.

I have tried to stay as close as possible to your original text, but I had to put some details slightly differently, because a direct translation would have sounded awkward to a native German speaker. I did not change the meaning of your text though, just the way some things were worded (substituting a passive tense with an active one, for example). The translated text should both express what you tried to put into your original text and feel quite natural to read for a native German speaker, so the man you intend it for will not stumble over linguistic awkwardness that might hamper understanding. I hope this translation will be helpful for you.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:43 am

dude, you are awesome. And as I speak both English and Spanish I understand that somethings do not translate directly. Thank you.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm

Thank you again for your help, it took a while to get it to him as he had a two week hiatus due to work, but it has helped the interaction between us, and my familiarity with classical German choral pieces has not become a topic of conversation as I can sing or speak through several Bach, Beethoven, and Schumann songs (although my pronunciation is poor).