Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 3:19 am

Can we just completely rewrite WrongPlanet's software? I would contribute to that project.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

There's an iOS app I really want to do, but I want to team up with someone who has years of experience on iOS already.

CokaCola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

I don't know about a project but if we were to take part in one, I know a lot of languages.
I'll attempt to list the ones I have a fair amount of knowledge in:
PHP,HTML,CSS,JS,Lua,Java,C# and some C++.
PHP is probably the strongest of my knowledge.

You can find it here: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wrongplanet

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 4:07 am

Well I have decided to write an FTP server. I have most of the base finished. The base being able to send and receive a file. I have to add to it. If all goes well I might add a UI with GTK.

If anyone wants to join let me know and ill post the code I have so far. I am writing it In C. As for the UI, that will be with GTK.

If anyone wants, we could code a synchronous client/server chat and add a UI or take out the UI and add a poll or epoll function to make the server asynch instead.

Anywho, I am going to bed and starting back up tomorrow night... Or afternoon. Depemding if I will be accompanied by someone.

BTW, I develop on Linux and wont touch a Windows box with a 1000 foot pole.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

Amboxer, please reconsider using GTK for your GUI. You may have a very strong opinion about Windows (or OSX or whatever) but your users may feel differently. If it's portable, and you tie off every loose end, it could become popular.

People seem to have done a number of good-looking apps with Qt. The only problem with Qt being I believe it's a heavy layer, and your app sounds pretty light. That and licensing issues should you decide to go commercial. But Qt is available almost everywhere, even Android.

I've seen other server software just provide a browser based UI where you can point the browser to localhost:port and admin it from there. This is good because you can open the port and admin remotely with the same panel you use locally.

If I were doing your project, I would probably do a hybrid solution. A browser based admin panel, but an admin app that does very little other than display the browser admin panel in an embedded browser window. This will avoid confusing users who are used to using "apps" and don't understand the browser admin panel concept, while providing the flexibility.

Some OSes (e.g. Windows) may want server type software to be compatible with the OS's own concept of admin panels. You should account for this even if you aren't porting to that OS in the forseeable future.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Amboxer, please reconsider using GTK for your GUI. You may have a very strong opinion about Windows (or OSX or whatever) but your users may feel differently. If it's portable, and you tie off every loose end, it could become popular.

People seem to have done a number of good-looking apps with Qt. The only problem with Qt being I believe it's a heavy layer, and your app sounds pretty light. That and licensing issues should you decide to go commercial. But Qt is available almost everywhere, even Android.

I've seen other server software just provide a browser based UI where you can point the browser to localhost:port and admin it from there. This is good because you can open the port and admin remotely with the same panel you use locally.

If I were doing your project, I would probably do a hybrid solution. A browser based admin panel, but an admin app that does very little other than display the browser admin panel in an embedded browser window. This will avoid confusing users who are used to using "apps" and don't understand the browser admin panel concept, while providing the flexibility.

Some OSes (e.g. Windows) may want server type software to be compatible with the OS's own concept of admin panels. You should account for this even if you aren't porting to that OS in the forseeable future.

QT is for CPP kind of like GTKMM. The most popular Linux WM is GNOME at the moment which is built with GTK.

Believe me GTK is my best option! I could care less about windows users and portability! Mac OSX is OK. I don't have a problem with that OS except I don't know obj-C lol

I don't plan on making my project more than... a project. Its a hobby and passion. Nothing more.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

Ok, if you only care about the enjoyment of developing this project and not about your users, then I understand your decision.

TheChamelion
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

Bit late and it sounds like you've already picked an idea but I'd still like to say an idea...
(My knowledge of website code is very limited though, I'm more of a self taught game maker with java and C++ so I also don't know how to explain stuff very well in a technical and interpret-able form)

An app(Or preferably a website) that had the 'community, info and media, contact me, shop' links at the top and the 'new posts' table covering the rest of the page could be cool. So the links are all at the top of the page and then there would be a list of new topics. (The code that has the summary/title of new topics and the link to it is view-able so I would assume you'd be able to use something that reads that and puts it into the app.)

Then again that idea is based around what I like of this website, so it probably wouldn't appeal to all... And I like this idea mostly because currently accessing this website from mobile is a bit of a 'cluster ****' tiny screen, tons of info... And also the problem that I don't know if this is possible... And I doubt programming this into a website would work because it'd have to be a different website(If it wasn't accepted by the devs here...)

m.wrongplanet.com/condensed Would be cool... >.<

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 3:35 pm

TheChamelion wrote:
Bit late and it sounds like you've already picked an idea but I'd still like to say an idea...
(My knowledge of website code is very limited though, I'm more of a self taught game maker with java and C++ so I also don't know how to explain stuff very well in a technical and interpret-able form)

An app(Or preferably a website) that had the 'community, info and media, contact me, shop' links at the top and the 'new posts' table covering the rest of the page could be cool. So the links are all at the top of the page and then there would be a list of new topics. (The code that has the summary/title of new topics and the link to it is view-able so I would assume you'd be able to use something that reads that and puts it into the app.)

Then again that idea is based around what I like of this website, so it probably wouldn't appeal to all... And I like this idea mostly because currently accessing this website from mobile is a bit of a 'cluster ****' tiny screen, tons of info... And also the problem that I don't know if this is possible... And I doubt programming this into a website would work because it'd have to be a different website(If it wasn't accepted by the devs here...)

m.wrongplanet.com/condensed Would be cool... >.<

That would be cool but we need more than just me and you! I'm pretty sure we would need a server. I have one so that's not an issue. We would need someone who's great with Java. Someone who's great with JavaScript. I'm decent but I'm not a pro. Then we would have to figure out how this is all done.

I am all for making wrong planet, mobile. I will put my ftp server and client aside to do this, if everyone is serious! How good are you with Java?

The main concern I have is, does anyone know how to mobilize a website, because I don't. Would we have to take the sites source and tweak it. Then host it on my server? If so then the next concern I would have is traffic. If this site gets a lot of traffic, my bandwidth would probably be exceed rather quick, no?

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

Here is the client code

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
int sockfd, portno;
ssize_t /*bytes_read,*/ bytes_written;
struct hostent *server;
struct sockaddr_in serv_addr, cli_addr;
char buffer[4096];

if(argc < 4)
   {
   fprintf(stderr, "Ussage: %s + IP Address + port number + file path.\n", argv[0]);
   exit(0);
   }

sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
   if(sockfd < 0) {
   printf("SOCKET(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

bzero((char *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));
server = gethostbyname(argv[1]);
   if(server == NULL) {
   fprintf(stderr, "No such host.\n");
   printf("%s\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

portno = atoi(argv[2]); //Grabbing the port number from the command line
serv_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
memcpy(&serv_addr.sin_addr.s_addr, server->h_addr, server->h_length);
serv_addr.sin_port = htons(portno);

if(connect(sockfd, (const struct sockaddr *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr)) < 0) {
   fprintf(stderr, "%s. CONNECT()\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }
      else {
      printf("Made a connection to %s\n", inet_ntoa(serv_addr.sin_addr));
      }

for( ; ; )
{

FILE *file = fopen(argv[3], "rb+");
   if(file == NULL) {
   printf("! FOPEN(NULL) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

if(file < 0) {
   printf("! FOPEN(-1) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

else if(file) {

fseek(file, 0, SEEK_END);
        int32_t size = ftell(file);
        //printf("=> File size is %d.\n", size);
        rewind(file);

int file2buffer = fread(buffer, sizeof(size), 1, file);
        if(file2buffer < 0) {
        printf("! FREAD(-1) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
        }

if(file2buffer == 0) {
        printf("! FREAD(0) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
          }

}

printf("%s", buffer);

bytes_written = write(sockfd, buffer, strlen(buffer));
         if(bytes_written < 0) {
         printf("! WRITE(-1) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
         }

if(bytes_written == 0) {
         printf("! WRITE(0) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
         }

}

close(sockfd);

return 0;
}

Unless a few of yall want to redo Wrong Planet and make it mobile.

And the server
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
int sockfd, newsockfd, portno, binder, listener;
ssize_t bytes_read, bytes_written;
struct sockaddr_in serv_addr, cli_addr;
struct hostent *server;
socklen_t clilen;
char data[4096];

if(argc < 3) {
   printf("Usage: %s ip address + port number.\n", argv[0]);
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
   if(sockfd < 0) {
   printf("SOCKET(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

bzero((char *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));
server = gethostbyname(argv[1]);
   if(server == NULL) {
   fprintf(stderr, "No such host.\n");
   printf("%s\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

bzero((char *)&serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));
portno = atoi(argv[2]);
serv_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
serv_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);
serv_addr.sin_port = htons(portno);

binder = bind(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &serv_addr, sizeof(serv_addr));

if(binder < 0) {
   printf("BIND(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

else if(socket) {

do {
           {
           printf("Waiting for a connection.\n");
           }
         }while(!accept);

}

listener = listen(sockfd, 20);
   if(listener < 0) {
   printf("LISTEN(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

clilen = sizeof(cli_addr);

newsockfd = accept(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &clilen);
   if(newsockfd == 0) {
   printf("ACCEPT(0) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

if(newsockfd < 0) {
   printf("ACCEPT(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

if(accept) {
     {
     printf("Received connection from %s.\n", inet_ntoa(cli_addr.sin_addr));
     }
   }

for( ; ; ) {
FILE *file = fopen("file_in.txt", "wb+");
   if(file == NULL) {
   printf("FOPEN(NULL) error --> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

bytes_read = read(newsockfd, data, sizeof(data));
   if(bytes_read < 0) {
   printf("READ(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }

if(bytes_read == 0) {
   printf("READ(0) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
   }

else {
      fprintf(file, "%s", data);
      }

/*printf("message: ");
fgets(data, sizeof(data), stdin);
bytes_written = write(newsockfd, data, strlen(data));

if(bytes_written < 0) {
   printf("WRITE(-1) error ---> %s.\n", strerror(errno));
   exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
   }*/
}

close(newsockfd);
close(sockfd);

return 0;
}

Feel free to Join. I am watching a bunch of movies tonight. So i will not be working on it. Unless someone wants to pair up tonight.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

You would have to either work with Alex (unlikely) or scrape WP, which is already plenty slow and would get slower if you had to scrape and relay.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
You would have to either work with Alex (unlikely) or scrape WP, which is already plenty slow and would get slower if you had to scrape and relay.

I assume you are talking about mobilizing wrong planet.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear.

The server is a nice start, but you've got a long way to go. Betta get crackin :)

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

The server is a nice start, but you've got a long way to go. Betta get crackin :)

Yeah I have a domain that I could host on is what I was saying. But yeah the server I'm writing is at the bare minimum at the moment. I am having trouble with fread at the moment. I think I am going to use a loop to send the data. After I have that issue solved, I will work on asking if you want to send another file or exit. Just build it up. I might add the GUI, depending on if I find a more interesting project.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Here was my last project. What do you think?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4693726.html#4693726

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Ok, if you only care about the enjoyment of developing this project and not about your users, then I understand your decision.

Well, yeah, if he's writing an FTP server, it would be for the joy of learning; FTP isn't exactly new on the scene.