Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 1:36 pm

All I can say is I've seen things like this happen before and yeah - you don't always have to be doing poorly performance-wise, it can just stem from them flat out not liking your or not wanting you around (and the trouble is if that's the case and if there's something you should know about your performance which is causing the problem they aren't going to tell you if they want you gone). I've learned that when people are like that you really have to just harden in the face of it, do your job well but act in a way that makes them aware that you know exactly what your doing and while they might be trying to degrade you and if its a joint effort they'll more than likely succeed at getting shot right out the door regardless of what happens I think you have to let them know that they still can't make a dent on your emotionally or hurt you and not out of obliviousness but because they may have their way with your job but they can't have their way with your head.

Other than that, yeah, I'd look for a more supportive atmosphere to work in. That kind of customer service, ie. cashiering, is highly public. My guess is if you wanted another service industry job and something that maybe leans less on that and has you behind the scenes work in a retail store just stocking the shelves, folding the clothing for display - something like Macy's, Dillard's, JC Penny, Kohl's, etc. Yeah it's probably not the most rewarding thing but I'd think its an income source that's probably a lot less hassle-free in the senses you were mentioning above.

HikaruKagaya
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2006, 5:19 pm

Yup, been keeping track of EVERYTHING. Today she tried to talk me out of going to college. lol That was amusing. She says to me, "Why do YOU want to go to college??" Among other annoying insulting things. After she left, the cashier next to me and I cracked up and talked about how pathetic that just was (especially for a manager).

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 9:55 pm

HikaruKagaya wrote:
Yup, been keeping track of EVERYTHING. Today she tried to talk me out of going to college. lol That was amusing. She says to me, "Why do YOU want to go to college??" Among other annoying insulting things. After she left, the cashier next to me and I cracked up and talked about how pathetic that just was (especially for a manager).

That is the best news I've heard so far! Hang in there!! !

HikaruKagaya

15 Dec 2006, 2:51 pm

It got better for a little while...I should have known something bad was coming. I got scheduled for evil hours this week. All week I was wondering why. It was because I mentioned school. And today, the boss came down on me HARD. To make a long story short, she basically said if I want to go to school at any time, I will get fired. She says that it's because I didn't put anything about it on my application, however, in my interview BEFORE I got hired, I said definitely no to the fall semester but I DEFINITELY told her that winter/spring semester was almost a definite. She didn't seem to have much of a problem at the time, maybe cause they were just so desperate for help. So now I am pretty much panicking cause she FINALLY has a valid excuse to fire me. Just wonderful.

I talked to a stock person who I'm friendly with and she said that the boss is crazy and that school is way more important that a "stupid retail job" lol so she cheered me up a bit.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2006, 7:25 pm

Wow, the games are definitely underway! Well, that is logistics -- I'd appeal to a "higher authority" on this one, being Human Resources. Explain to them your situation. That's what they are there for. If they are in league with the managers to rain hell upon their employees, then you know there is no reason to bother worrying about the job. Some HR departments are great, some aren't -- it's a gamble.

That stock person was totally right -- school is WAY more important. Your boss is so pathetic and small. She probably sees what you will become and hates you for it. In the end, that is her problem, not yours -- YOU are the one with the FUTURE :-D

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 7:12 am

Yeah, she's probably jealous that you want to get yourself a good education. Instead of getting off her bum and doing the same, she just wants to bring you down. I had a boss who picked on people with educations. I think she might not have been able to go to college when she was young as she probably married and had kids at an early age.

Still, the kids were all grown up about 10 years ago, so she could have applied to do a course then. She tried to get me fired for incompetence but I held out and in the end, she left. I was helping a young man who she was bullying more recently. She had smelly breath and green teeth so that made her even more unappealing to deal with.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 12:17 am

I can relate. I just started a new job and the boss, when introducing me via e-mail to the entire department, decided to leave my Master's degree off (leaving only the Bachelor's) and focus on the fact that I play on-line games (which is definitely not a focus of my life by no means!). Couldn't have felt more diminished. Oh, they also enticed me with a "Senior" level title, but the title he gave me was without the senior and instead of "Architect", it was "Analyst". I'm in the system that way too. I asked HR and they said I had the "Senior" level title given on my offer letter, but they had to work on something regarding my compensation. Hopefully, that doesn't mean paycut into my 3rd week of working there.

AS_social_construct
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2006, 3:38 pm

MrMark wrote:
Are they aware of your AS?

Why is that relevant? :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 4:10 pm

AS_social_construct wrote:
Why is that relevant? :roll:

It is but in cases where things aren't working out with you and an employer its much worse to say anything about it than nothing at all. Where I work right now in the restaurant industry I've had absolutely no trouble and no regrets about telling a lot of people just because a). I'm a well respected employee and b). when I to mention it offhand (when everyone's already talking about their own ADD, OCD or whatever) I'm likening my severity to something like ADD and making it sound like nothing more than a minor factoid about myself - not a sweeping part of my identity, so they know I'm just saying it to add to a conversation rather than wanting any specific treatment.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:27 pm

That is rare. Most NT's think AS = ret*d. At the very least, they think you are just saying you are because it is the latest fad. Throw it up on Boston Legal, pepper a little into House, shoot out a few PSR's on CNN, MSNBC, etc., and NTs go, "Mmmhmm, hypochondriac."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:37 pm

k96822 wrote:
That is rare. Most NT's think AS = ret*d. At the very least, they think you are just saying you are because it is the latest fad. Throw it up on Boston Legal, pepper a little into House, shoot out a few PSR's on CNN, MSNBC, etc., and NTs go, "Mmmhmm, hypochondriac."

I think it again has more to do with how they've gaged your personality already and then how you explain it. Maybe I've just been lucky but it seems like most of the NT's I know if anything get what it is, don't have all the facts but usually in the past when I wasn't doing as well socially but maybe felt the need to tell a few people just because my nonverbals might have been throwing up some red flags the usual catchphrase answer was "Oh!! So your really smart!" - seemed like at least movies like Rainman and Mercury Rising got the whole duality of looking ret*d possibly but being anything but in other ways across to them pretty well. Then again a lot of the people I work with are college kids themselves, if it were some factory job and I was working with a bunch of hardcore blue-collar people, it would probably be a lot closer to what your saying.