Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 8:52 am

DC wrote:
ASMJT wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Put dishes of beer around and the slugs will crawl into them and drown. Really.

I can attest to this! It works like a charm. Something I always wanted to try as a pesticide, was diatomaceous earth. It's cheap, and only effects insects.

I am sooo jealous of you and Kjas, I would love to have a decent spread to grow stuff on.

I've tried beer traps in the past, the slugs ignore them and munch on my lettuce instead. :evil:

Have you tried garlic/bell pepper/chili/coffee mix? That works brilliantly for mine.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:58 am

Kjas wrote:
DC wrote:
ASMJT wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I can attest to this! It works like a charm. Something I always wanted to try as a pesticide, was diatomaceous earth. It's cheap, and only effects insects.

I am sooo jealous of you and Kjas, I would love to have a decent spread to grow stuff on.

I've tried beer traps in the past, the slugs ignore them and munch on my lettuce instead. :evil:

Have you tried garlic/bell pepper/chili/coffee mix? That works brilliantly for mine.

That works great as anti fungal but the damned slugs don't care.

The only way I've found to protect stuff in the ground is to use vitax slug off around the individual young plants and large amounts of slug pellets everywhere else. I do have a serious slug problem in my area though, despite only having a small garden a dawn patrol looking for slugs will yield two or three barbecue spikes full of slugs depending on the weather.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

All we managed to do this year was a few herbs. We've got lemongrass, mint, thyme, and amazingly enough, my oregano survived indoors through last winter. And we have a rather large aloe vera plant. And we have climbing roses and minature roses and gladiolas. All this even though I detest gardening and yardwork.

Somebody said to me, "I want my lawn to look like a golf course." I said, "I just want my yard to look like someone lives there."

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

DC wrote:
ASMJT wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I don't live in Ohio anymore, so no need to be jealous, lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

Vegetables

DC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Vegetables

What veggies are you growing?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

DC wrote:
That works great as anti fungal but the damned slugs don't care.

The only way I've found to protect stuff in the ground is to use vitax slug off around the individual young plants and large amounts of slug pellets everywhere else. I do have a serious slug problem in my area though, despite only having a small garden a dawn patrol looking for slugs will yield two or three barbecue spikes full of slugs depending on the weather.

Ohhh one of *those* problems. If it's of that magnitude, I think local wildlife would be your best bet. Once they get to be too many, it's like fighting a war out there. I was thinking you meant you only had a small problem.

Other options:

- eggshells
- start encouraging or feeding native wildlife like birds that will eat them
- kiddy patrol (give some of the younger kids in the neighbourhood a certain amount for the amount of slugs they bring in)

Apart from that :shrug:
I wonder if someone has made a spray purely out of jalepeños, habaneros etc at 10 times the recommended dosage in order to see if they explode after eating them :lol: