Telling my BEST (NT) friend I have aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

I'm going to tell my best NT friend I have aspergers but I'm really unsure on how I exactly describe it if they haven't a clue!! ! She knows what autism is and that it isn't "mental regardless" she has a learning disability, She's dyslexic. I'm just not to sure how to explain it all. Just so she understands a bit better because she's my bestest friend and I already told her I was getting tested... Nobody will truly understand... I know that! =)

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

Well, try and think how you explain it to yourself. I have always said to myself that my ability to understand body language and expressions was swapped for added intelligence, then let your friend ask questions, there are things you probably won't even think about till asked and it might be a while before your friend thinks these things up but it will probably be better than letting him/her do his/her own research because that gives a clinical, impersonal view on the condition. And good luck, I hope this goes ok, any other questions or thoughts feel free to ask!

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks Pixie! =) I'm looking forward yet apprehensive to telling her. I'm probably going to be asking a lot of questions because... Well. Its hard for me to explain things! =P
I'm also anxious to know whether or not shell go google it! =/

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2012, 6:32 pm

CaliforniaSh33p wrote:
Thanks Pixie! =) I'm looking forward yet apprehensive to telling her. I'm probably going to be asking a lot of questions because... Well. Its hard for me to explain things! =P

I don't think any of us are very good at explaining stuff, which I shy I write almost everything down. And also if your friend knows you well enough she'll take what google says to mean her own thing. I was diagnosed at five and my best friend can explain me to myself sometimes because she understands, she's also dyslexic, we both know what being different feels like.

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2012, 4:26 am

PixieXW wrote:
CaliforniaSh33p wrote:

I don't think any of us are very good at explaining stuff, which I shy I write almost everything down. And also if your friend knows you well enough she'll take what google says to mean her own thing. I was diagnosed at five and my best friend can explain me to myself sometimes because she understands, she's also dyslexic, we both know what being different feels like.

Yes, my best friend always says:
"Dyslexic and Autistic. Basically anybody a bit different. Always seem better off in the long run. Jamie oliver can't even spell his name and he's a famous chef!"
I think that's pretty true!! ! Dyslexic people suffer in English and make it up by being good at another subject! Autistic people think differently and struggle with social skills and using their intelligence and maybe their special interest shine above the rest so, Different = Good! =)