Do people laugh at you when you get angry?

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

Not so much now, but it used to happen a lot when I was younger........my parents were friends with a couple who had two girls around my age, and I can remember a few incidents when we got together with them, and the other kids thought it was funny to pick on me to the point where I'd get irritated. (can't remember exactly what I said or did to initiate the teasing, just that they all laughed at me when I got mad)

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2012, 4:46 am

Used to happen to me in school and at home when I was a kid.

My parent's didn't really laugh at me, but boy did my older brother and sister.

I once threw a chair after my sister when I was 4, I can still remember how hopping mad I was and how easy it was to just pick up and throw the living room chair (it was HUGE to my 4yo self) after her. When the chair landed and the shock subsided she laughed like mad telling me how stupid I was.
I don't remember what happened next, but I probably retreated to my room to scream or something...

In school the other kids made a sport out of trying to set me off, as I would get absolutely livid when provoked.

This resulted in me both trying to hit them and getting so mad I was shaking too much to actually land the punch, to their GREAT amusement.
I would then get reported to the principal for trying to hit my fellow classmates........

btw, I'm female.

PenguinCoder
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2012, 1:24 am

yes, as a kid. but i would get even more angry and destroy every thing in the room. i had crazy anger as a kid.
as an adult people don't laugh.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 2:56 am

Growing up in a military family, with a totalitarian father, I learned early not to show anger or outrage, or to shed tears, as such emotions were deemed disrespectful and signs of insubordination and disobedience. For if such emotions were displayed, we were beaten. Mine began at the age of 4 years. And as a favorite target of my father, I learned to bottle up my anger and other emotions. At one point I thought if I could be like stone, I would probably be better off. Also thought if I could think like a male, that would help too. But alas, I discovered my female brain would fail me time after time in that endeavor. So I had to give that up too.

As a teenager and young adult, and except for one moment, I managed to keep myself in control. Oh, I'd get mad at injustices and with bullies all the same, but I would take it all in silently. Couldn't fight back. How could? I didn't know how to. During those years, I guess it's no surprise that newspaper stories of young sons killing their fathers fascinated me.

Somewhere in my mid-30s, I began to question why I could not express anger in a constructive manner, or at least in a way that would benefit me. By then, I was helping to take care of Mom and Dad, who were now elderly. After witnessing Dad hurt Mom, I began to revisit my childhood fears of physical abuse, anger, emotional pain, and so on. Unfortunately I didn't know what to make of my thinking.

In my early 40s, my internist recommended that I see a psychologist who also was his patient. On the first visit she diagnosed me with chronic PTSD, brought on from repeated childhood physical and emotional abuse. I was duly impressed with her Dx and read all I could find online at the time. Learning about PTSD was the first step towards dealing with my anger.

Interestingly I've found it still boils down to control. But now it's a mature restraint, one predicated on prudence and reason instead of unthinking, reflexive emotion.

Now I can express my anger and assert my individuality using the English language. Some folks though have complained via PMs or in person that my online persona is abrasive and combative. I'm none of those things personally. So if I am an Aspie, it appears I not only missed out on being socially adroit but also communicatively adroit. Which does not surprise at all.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2012, 8:38 am

slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
Yes

especially when I was a teenager. It evolved into extreme OCD (self mutilation, biting my hand)

This is extremely disrespectful, now I make a point of showing (calmly) that things could turn ugly if I'm making fun of at those moments (if my anger is justified of course).
Now, something important is to deal with our natural frustration intolerance.

:!:

How is self-mutilation a form of OCD?

It is not?

Legendwind
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

This happens to me all of the time unfortunately. I have a class called Outdoor Pursuits and some of the people in my class know that when they tap things like their pencil or their fingers against their desk it gets me going so they started doing it and I continually asked them to stop and got more panicked and angry when they wouldn't because it was so loud and finally I just screamed "Stop!" and covered my ears and they all laughed hysterically and said "Look at how mad she is!". People make me angry.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

No, people just get upset and hate me, then I feel like a twat after who have just upset everyone for no reason. f*****g hate myself.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:36 pm

My early displays of temper got nearly legendary in grade school. Back in those days, even the bullies avoided messing with me much. The trouble started when my family started moving all over, people did not realize how extreme I could be. And the bulying REALLY began. I usually can control my temper these days, but little things get under my skin sometimes..

Sincerely,
Matthew

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 4:45 pm

tchek wrote:
slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
Yes

especially when I was a teenager. It evolved into extreme OCD (self mutilation, biting my hand)

This is extremely disrespectful, now I make a point of showing (calmly) that things could turn ugly if I'm making fun of at those moments (if my anger is justified of course).

It is not?

No it is not.
Please read about Non-Suicidal Self Injury as it will help you understand what it is and why people do it. Learning about this helped me a lot. :)
:) :) :)

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2012, 9:25 am

slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
Yes

It is not?

No it is not.
Please read about Non-Suicidal Self Injury as it will help you understand what it is and why people do it. Learning about this helped me a lot. :)

I just read a bit about it. Interesting, but it still says "Nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI) has many behavioral and cognitive features that would make it appear to be closely tied to obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Obsessive-compulsive-related disorders (OCRDs) have been described in the literature as conditions that share a common phenomenology, neuro- biology, and treatment response."

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:24 pm

tchek wrote:
slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
slave wrote:
tchek wrote:
Yes

It is not?

No it is not.

I just read a bit about it. Interesting, but it still says "Nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI) has many behavioral and cognitive features that would make it appear to be closely tied to obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Obsessive-compulsive-related disorders (OCRDs) have been described in the literature as conditions that share a common phenomenology, neuro- biology, and treatment response."

The key is: What is your mental state and the precipitating conditions prior to self injury?

Is it a rash, spontaneous act?

Does it feel like a choice or do you HAVE to do it?

Do you have strong specific urges to do a specific act?

and so on

If you wish I can attempt to walk you through the self analysis. If not, of course I'll understand. :) :)

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

slave wrote:
The key is: What is your mental state and the precipitating conditions prior to self injury?

and so on

If you wish I can attempt to walk you through the self analysis. If not, of course I'll understand. :) :)

Anger and frustration. It is purely spontaneous. Actually, I don't even realize it when I do it, I just can't help it, it's automatic. Yes, I HAVE to do it. I have a feeling of numbness when I do it, and relief.

When I'm unfairly treated and can't cope with the situation, I bite my hand (or rather, index finger) which is seriously damaged. Usually though, I do it when alone when I brood over, think about a past abuse or a situation I couldn't cope with.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 8:55 am

tchek wrote:
slave wrote:

and so on

Anger and frustration. It is purely spontaneous. Actually, I don't even realize it when I do it, I just can't help it, it's automatic. Yes, I HAVE to do it. I have a feeling of numbness when I do it, and relief.

When I'm unfairly treated and can't cope with the situation, I bite my hand (or rather, index finger) which is seriously damaged. Usually though, I do it when alone when I brood over, think about a past abuse or a situation I couldn't cope with.

Based on what you're saying I'm inclined to view this as NSSI as it is spontaneous, accompanied by dissociation, etc... I'm not getting the impression that this behaviour is secondary to regular, sustained obsession. OCD usually involves regular cognitive obsessions resulting in a compulsion to do something in order to get relief.

I live with both. I know that you are suffering. It saddens me to learn of your pain.

Do you have PTSD?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

i react in a very panicked way when i hear the sound of a fart.
i must exit the situation immediately before my nostrils are desecrated by the ravages of a molecular coating borne of alien colonic generation.

people go the toilet in private, and they dump their debris outside of general sight.

farts, on the other hand are trespassers on my olfactory property, and i am very unhappy if i sniff another persons anal exhaust events.

the air is free and it should not be polluted by a single molecule that i find unacceptable.

i get angry and unsure of what do do other than go home rapidly if some dill just presses out a flatulent expression.

people have noted that i have a weakness with respect to flatulence, and i have experiened social episodes where people have "saved up" their abdominal gas with the express desire to liberate them loudly in my presence, and then "watch the show".
i would almost run off a cliff to escape inhaling another persons anal gas. it is a terrifying concept in my mind to imagine having to breath a persons fart gas (methyl mercaptan is a very odious stench)

people just laugh like untethered buffoons at my reactions to their calculated actions designed to incite my displeasure while they are in front of my face (during occasions that i am being ridiculed) but i could not care less because i can just tell them to go away and i can proceed with being alone.

i like being alone because i do not give myself the s**ts.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2012, 6:52 pm

slave wrote:

Based on what you're saying I'm inclined to view this as NSSI as it is spontaneous, accompanied by dissociation, etc... I'm not getting the impression that this behaviour is secondary to regular, sustained obsession. OCD usually involves regular cognitive obsessions resulting in a compulsion to do something in order to get relief.

I live with both. I know that you are suffering. It saddens me to learn of your pain.

Do you have PTSD?

I'm undiagnosized, so I can't really say where it is coming from, or if I have Post-traumatic syndrome... Maybe I have.

When I bite my finger, I have briefly very dark extreme thoughts. My inability to cope with the situation and respond to an abuse or an offense makes me "repress" it, only to express them in an extreme way in my head, if you know what I mean. It's very embarassing when I'm caught doing that, I come off as a psycho :? . The few people who saw me "self injurying" myself say that I seriously look like I'm going to murder someone. As spontaneous and automatic as it is, I tend to self-injury when alone.

Recently, I don't only bite my hand, I do a very low, throaty "grunt" when I feel anger. I do this subconsciously and when alone, and eventually people next room storm in and ask me "hey what was that noise?". I basically sound like i'm lifting something very heavy.

Maybe I have post traumatic syndrome, but I don't know how I would know.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

My dad laughs at me sometimes when I get angry...once when he was giving me a driving lesson, I was screwing up worse and worse, and he kept saying "pretty soon we can stop the Car and I'll change seats with you," but it didn't happen until a lot later...the Cars behind me and in front of me were really freaking me out (we were driving in a relatively quiet neighborhood, but it still triggered my anxiety) and I was getting SO freakin' mad that I was ready to flip off the next person who went up my tailpipe or pull over, grab one of the streetsigns out of the ground and beat the driver behind me to death with it (not the Car, tho, I LIKE Cars). Like legit. And when we finally did stop, and he saw for himself how angry I was at both myself and the drivers, he just seemed to think it was funny.

I bet no one would have said anything if it was my stepmom who wanted to beat someone to death with a streetsign...It's AAAALLLLLWWWWAAAAYYYSSSS okay for HER to get angry and be mean to everyone around her, but it's never okay when I do it. :evil:

Maybe I'm just a bad person. In fact, I'm sure I am. :cry:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes