Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 1:21 am

I am running Arch Linux, on Gnome3.
I am proficient in C programming, GTK UI programming, sockets, and bash/awk. I am a new to NASM assembly language, python, and JavaScript. I want to learn Haskel, Ruby and possibly Java.

What Linux distro are you using?

What programming languages do you know?

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 1:28 am

Triple booting Win7, BackTrack5 and Ubuntu On an Asus 1215n netbook.

My Main machine only has win7. Mostly used for gaming.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 1:33 am

I don't do programming, however I use Debian a bit. The reason I use Debian is apt-get :heart: and you can easily make Debian a really lightweight unbloated install (e.g. use Ice window manager) which still runs OK on older laptops. I use these as packet collecters (I'm a network engineer) because they are readily available and portable, and I take them to places and leave them running things like snort and ntop.
I have tried distros like Ubuntu which work great if you have horsepower, but run really badly on older stuff, (as bad if not worse than Windows).

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 1:50 am

nostromo wrote:
I don't do programming, however I use Debian a bit. The reason I use Debian is apt-get :heart: and you can easily make Debian a really lightweight unbloated install (e.g. use Ice window manager) which still runs OK on older laptops. I use these as packet collecters (I'm a network engineer) because they are readily available and portable, and I take them to places and leave them running things like snort and ntop.
I have tried distros like Ubuntu which work great if you have horsepower, but run really badly on older stuff, (as bad if not worse than Windows).

apt-get is awesome! One thing I miss about debian is definitely apt-get! Arch uses pacman, its not bad at all. Its actually quite similar. I like Ubuntu because its super east to use but its not fun anymore. The install is just click and point and does allow complete controlled over the system and its customization like arch provides.

Your a network engineer huh? That's awesome! I love coding sockets and working with the network. Wireshark, nmap, netstat, ntop, traceroute, etc. I wrote a network port monitor(daemon) in awk that watches which ports were open and if ports other than the ones I specify are open(443|80), it launches a UI I wrote with the GTK toolkit. With a scrollable textview widget that displays a file containing the parsed netstat -antp information. Which includes ports PID process names. It also had a button to kill the daemon, a confirm button and a button to kill the running process which invoked the UI in the first place.

Arch is cool though. If you love Linux, you should check it out! You have to roll the OS yourself though. Lots of manual configuration! It doesn't come with a desktop UI. So you have to build that along with your network, an among other things. Its really fun and challenging!

@Martha, I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate Microsoft!! ! Backtrack is cool though! I've used it for small LAN based hacking projects at my local library lol

NakaCristo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2012, 2:06 am

amboxer21 wrote:
What Linux distro are you using?

Gentoo
I like emerge, eix and q a lot more than apt-get.
In my office I have ubuntu, but I mostly work in my laptop.

amboxer21 wrote:
What programming languages do you know?

In learnt order: C, QBASIC, javascript, assembler x86, C++, Java, assembler MIPS, bash, LISP, python, Coq.
It is possible that I missed someone.

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 6:36 am

I'm using Slackware. As far as programming languages are concerned: C++, Java, Bash, Python, IDL and R (the latter two being used for scientific data analysis).

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

Mint 12 KDE

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:02 am

Currently Debian Squeeze, and I have the current LTR Xubuntu on a USB stuck, though I might erase that and install Solus on the key, and if I like it may possibly trade my debian install for Solus.

Also, WB Duncvis.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:13 am

cheers matey 8)

was just saying recently on t'Drivel I hadn't seen you around for a while. :wtg:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

I am running an older version of Linux Ubuntu on an even older PC. Because I have a dial-up connection, an upgrade is not an option. Once I can get the place cleaned up enough for visitors, I will have service people over to install cable internet. I will also hook up the new computer loaded with Win 7 that is sitting on the floor waiting for the cable I-net. The new tower is too narrow for the old modem card in my old PC tower, so the newbie has been sitting there for months, waiting. :roll: I have several health problems which make it hard for me to keep up with cleaning and decluttering. I also have Executive Function Disorder which adds to those problems. :wall: I have to try to wade through the mess so I can switch by I think July 9 though, as that's when my old PC is likely to no longer function. I probably have that virus the government warned about, that they are giving as a reason for shutting down infected users in early July, along with many other viruses. Because of my dial-up connection I haven't been able to do updates on anything, I did update my old Ubuntu to a less old, but still old version last summer, but it took over two days with my dial-up connection. My old monitor died because of it--it overheated and fried itself. It was a hot time of summer, and this room is on the west end of my trailer. :( Also, my dial-up ISP gives users 4 hour sessions. At the end of 4 hours they disconnect you and you have to re dial to reconnect. Also, you get a limit of 200 hours a month. A couple of times I reached the limit before a month was up and was off line for several days. :( I did try updating my AVG, but was unable to get several versions to work on my PC after downloading them. :( And yes, they were Linux versions.

My programming skills consist of pulling my hair out, having a meltdown, and calling more knowledgeable relatives when something goes wrong. :wall: :lol: I am not a computer geek. A relative who is thought it would be a good idea to switch me to Linux Ubuntu several years ago, when he was giving me a newer used PC than the one I had at the time. This relative is not known for having common sense. I had been using Windows back then. I never warmed up to LU and never really understood it. In the years since then I have come to hate it and look forward to switching back to something easier to use, and easier for me to understand.--If I can ever finally get the place cleaned up enough to have the service people over to do the cable I-net hook up. :wall: :lol:

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

My iMac: OSX 1.0.7.2/Windows 7
My Macbook: OSX 1.06.8/Backtrack 5/Windows 7.
My Zotac ITX PC: Kubuntu 12.04.
My Netbook: Windows 7/OSX 10.6.6/Kubuntu 12.04
Programming:
Objective C, PHP, CSS and Javascript(A tiny tiny bit).

Last edited by Madbones on 04 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

My laptop runs Windows 7 (which I almost never use) and Linux Mint. I upgraded to Mint 13 a few days ago, with the Cinnamon desktop environment (very nice--basically a Gnome 2 type experience with Gnome 3 type prettiness). At work I have no control what is on the computer as it belongs to the university, but the workstation runs Windows XP and I spend a lot of time using Xwin32 to access a server running CentOS with Gnome 2.

Programming languages: Visual Basic (now mostly forgotten, since it's pretty much useless), Java (starting to be forgotten), and Python. I'm still quite new to Python, so I haven't learnt how to use it to its full potential yet. I also know some Bash, although I hate doing anything too complicated in it. Mostly I just use it to write a script that will invoke various Python programs and then feed the output into Gnuplot.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

Arch Linux with Xfce, but I would like to migrate to Gentoo soon. I am also running FreeBSD 9.0 with Xfce.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:21 pm

Ubuntu 12.04 for every day, and Windows 7 64bit for games.

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 12:46 am

AstroGeek wrote:
Mostly I just use it to write a script that will invoke various Python programs and then feed the output into Gnuplot.

If you wanted to, you could use Python for plotting as well, with matplotlib.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

zxy3cpn wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
Mostly I just use it to write a script that will invoke various Python programs and then feed the output into Gnuplot.

If you wanted to, you could use Python for plotting as well, with matplotlib.

Eh, I've already learned gnuplot. I can't be bothered to learn another one as well. Anyway, there are a few other reasons why I use shell scripts, although there might be ways to do those in Python too.