Do you buy Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima products?

Page 1 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Do you buy those brands?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
No - they're racist 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - I buy something cheaper 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No - I don't like them 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 8:52 am

I don't. I buy the supermarket home brand because I'm cheap. But yeah, those advertising images are creepy.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 04 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

The images on those labels have their roots in this awful stuff: http://owni.eu/2011/03/12/racism-in-adv ... -examples/

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:33 am

They are both very low quality products. I wouldn't buy them.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't. I buy the supermarket home brand because I'm cheap. But yeah, those advertising images are creepy.
My s.o. and his first husband actually had to pay for gas to get Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs, back when they were still getting most of their money working in a kitchen, to the fraternity party where they became the first black entertainers to perform at his college. I am convinced that the black people in my s.o.'s life, when he was growing up, played a role in him helping break the color barrier at his college. This includes his parents' maid and the field workers at the farm he worked on. I think it's significant that his uncle paid him the same salary as the field workers and made him eat at the same table as the field workers. It taught him to regard all working men as his equals, and I see that as a powerful message.

Therefore, I see "Aunt Jemima" as an unrecognized hero of civil rights. Black women who worked long hours at challenging jobs, with a smile on their face, for white people who saw them as racially inferior and their work as menial...to me, that's heroic. I think people like that ultimately did more for civil rights than any number of protesters or speakers. In my eyes, those are the kinds of people who really change society...people you see and interact with every day, from when you're a very young child.

The image of Aunt Jemima might be outdated and past its use. People today could never understand it. However, I don't see it as a symbol of racist bigotry. To white people at the time, the "mammy" archetype brought to mind, for white people, an object of affection. I agree that it was condescending even at best, but I believe firmly that such archetypes played a role in helping defeat racism.

So I conclude, the Aunt Jemima image ought to be removed or watered-down in our era. The image had value at one time, but it has outlived its use. To modern white people, it only creates an image of black people as individuals who only work at menial jobs, and it is now very inappropriate. On the other hand, I think that we ought to also try to recognize how the image of the hard-working black woman once helped impress upon white people that black people are not their enemy.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

The KFC add is not racist. It was shown in Australia, had to do with the teams that were playing (I think cricket). Now if it were shown in America it would have been racist.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:49 am

Delphiki wrote:
The KFC add is not racist. It was shown in Australia, had to do with the teams that were playing (I think cricket). Now if it were shown in America it would have been racist.

I know. The French adverts from the turn of the last century are the most racist on that page. As well as that Fairy one.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jun 2012, 10:04 am

I don't go out of my way to but I'm sure I've used the products before.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

No, but I use Darkie Toothpaste, "For a shine that's Jigaboo bright!"

and Niggerhair Tobacco for my pleasant afternoon smoke

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

Disproportionate or hilarious ways of displaying race in advertising are something worth a laugh, but not a serious worry. What's most laughable, perhaps, is school material and propaganda for children and teenagers nowadays. Because they can't leave out one race, they include all main races, even if there are only five people and it means they can only include one white person. A situation might go like this:

"George is discussing politics and young people's role in politics with his friends Rachid, Jemima and Wen."

This is an actual situation, although it's years ago so I can't remember the exact names, in a social studies textbook. These textbooks are also completely addicted to completely reversing racial and gender roles, which makes them even funnier. "Mgombwe is going to be a doctor. George is going to be a mechanic." Or, "George is going to work at a daycare. Suzanne is going to be an engineer." What makes them so funny, perhaps, is that they never use actual roles in society, instead forcibly reversing them in almost all cases. You can set your watch to it - the black woman will be a scientist, the white woman an engineer and the man will be a teacher or a nurse.

I can't imagine why anyone would buy the Niggerhair Smoking Tobacco, though. Anyone who's ever eaten something that contained a hair knows hairs are one of the worst things to have in your mouth. Unfortunately, I've never seen these products here before. However, I have seen a book once, an old book, called Het Grote Negerboek, or 'The Big n****r Book'. Pictured below is another one: "Three Little n****rs - with pictures to paste and rhymes to sing."

Probably wasn't even that good a book - look at the poor use of coloured ink in the bags and the distant palm tree.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

Here are the ingredients in Aunt Jemima's original pancake syrup:

Quote:
CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

It would be stupid to purchase anything like that. Neurotypical shoppers are just taken in by the image of the obese black woman. I'm not fooled at all.

Here are the claims for Uncle Ben's Original Converted Rice:

Quote:
For premium quality rice that delivers consistent results and cooks perfectly every time, look no further than UNCLE BEN’S®. Our UNCLE BEN’S® ORIGINAL CONVERTED® Brand Rice yields 25% more cooked rice per cup than ordinary white rice. Available in 1, 2, and 3 pound boxes, and 5, 10 and 12 pound bags.

Nutritional Claims & Product Benefits:

UNCLE BEN’S® ORIGINAL CONVERTED® Brand Long Grain Rice supports a healthy heart* and a well balanced diet. It is enriched with vitamins and iron, naturally fat free, and certified by the American Heart Association. Plus, it has these other nutritional benefits:
• Sodium Free
• Excellent Source of Folic Acid
• Naturally Fat Free
• Cholesterol Free
• 0 g Trans Fats & No Saturated Fat
• Gluten Free & Hypoallergenic

American Heart Association: Meets American Heart Association food criteria for saturated fat and cholesterol for healthy people over age 2.

*Diets low in saturated fats and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.

The neurotypical hoy palloy will be fooled by the false claims. First of all, this is far from "premium quality" rice. Anyone from a major rice-eating country would tell you that right away.

Of course it is "naturally fat free" (it is almost pure starch); it is "cholesterol free" (not being an animal product), and it has "0 g Trans Fats & No Saturated Fat" (given that it is "naturally fat free" to begin with). Anyone who isn't a semi-literate neurotypical would be rolling his eyes.

While a diet "low in saturated fat and cholesterol" might reduce the risk of heart disease, the Evil Corporation isn't going to mention the fact that a diet that is high in simple carbohydrates and starch will certainly increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:06 am

I used to buy Aunt Jemima waffles and syrup, but I've cut that out of my diet.

DAMN GOOD though.

Thanks Aunt Jemima for rotting my teeth out.

I've got a box of this in my refrigerator

The kind that's cut into 1/4 cups for baking.

But I keep the cartoon of this out in plain sight to subdue any bad feelings by minorites that step into my house.

:roll:

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Last edited by snapcap on 04 Jun 2012, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

snapcap wrote:

DAMN GOOD though.

You should have brushed your teeth with Darkie Toothpaste after!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

It is far better to make the waffles with you own ingredients--you can select higher quality flours--and, get some real maple syrup. Never mind that corn syrup garbage.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

Vigilans wrote:
snapcap wrote:

DAMN GOOD though.

It is now called "Darlie" toothpaste.

http://www.darlie.com.my/my/product/pro ... asp?type=1

By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:12 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
snapcap wrote:

DAMN GOOD though.

It is now called "Darlie" toothpaste.

http://www.darlie.com.my/my/product/pro ... asp?type=1

By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Are you offended?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:14 am

Vigilans wrote:
snapcap wrote:

DAMN GOOD though.

No one told me I was supposed to, I only brushed after you wake up and before you go to bed.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Last edited by snapcap on 04 Jun 2012, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.