Have you ever made a sarcastic joke? Do you understand them?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2012, 6:30 pm

Do you make sarcastic jokes sometimes? I find that I can make a sarcastic joke (not a good one) but seldom understand when someone else makes one. Do you ask them if they are being sarcastic? Someone said they had AIDS the other day and I actually believed them until thy said they where being sarcastic, probably a low point for me.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

I'll crack the occasional sarcastic joke. As for getting sarcasm or facetiousness, sometimes I'll get it, sometimes I'll miss it.

One instance of missed sarcasm stands out in particular: My mom said something to me that got me upset--I had to go off and fume for a bit. When I came back, she told me she meant it as a joke. I was totally confused and a little upset, and all I could think was how it felt like nobody understands the way my brain works.

Last edited by FishStickNick on 05 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

I am very sarcastic but that's because I grew up around sarcasm. I remember when I was younger I hated when my mum and her family used sarcasm. I took it quite literally but soon got used to it. Now, I'm a pretty sarcastic person.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

<----- Makes sarcastic jokes but loses friends because of it.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm quite good at making sarcastic jokes...

I NEVER understand other's, though. As a rule.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

I'm very sacrcastic. Unfortunately, my boyfriend's not good at picking up on sarcasm, so he tends to kind of ruin the joke. I know he doesn't mean to hahaha.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

Im good at scarcam and sarcastic jokes. I dont use them alot though.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

abstract wrote:
Do you make sarcastic jokes sometimes? I find that I can make a sarcastic joke (not a good one) but seldom understand when someone else makes one. Do you ask them if they are being sarcastic? Someone said they had AIDS the other day and I actually believed them until thy said they where being sarcastic, probably a low point for me.

I don't think AIDS is very funny. I can see why you didn't get the 'joke'.

LogiXYZ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

Sarcastic jokes to me can be incredibly funny and I understand fully, as long as it's on TV. (Blackadder is still one of my favorite shows).

But too me it's because you know that it's purely fun on television. If somebody is sarcastic towards me ... I only very rarely get the joke.

To me sarcasme is fun ... as long as it's not pointed towards me.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
<----- Makes sarcastic jokes but loses friends because of it.

Ahaha me too

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

You're asking if I'm ever sarcastic? Really?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My sense of humor is very Chandler Bing. Could I get any more sarcastic? :lol:

But as for understanding others' sarcasm, if their tone of voice isn't blatantly sarcastic or if they don't roll their eyes or something, I often can't tell sarcasm/joking from the truth. I'm very gullible. Lots of silly stunts on YT and TV make me wonder if it's real or just a farce/joke. What I'm REALLY bad with is written sarcasm. That is why I and my friends rely on emoticons. If I don't see a wink or laughing smiley after a sarcastic or teasing statement, I automatically interpret it literally, in a mean-spirited way. Unfortunately, and ironically, not many people on here use emoticons or clarify their sarcasm, so I've misunderstood several people on here.

Nash: Is there a difference?

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

Actually come to think of it, I only understand good sarcasm where it is odvious. Top Gear is the only show on TV that I watch (this side of the news of course). Even if you don't like cars, it is hilarious.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

I love sarcasm, but I hate when I'm sarcastic and someone is sarcastic back to me and I don't realize it.

reecare

05 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

I'm extremely sarcastic, but I too grew up with sarcasm. Though I understand something as sarcastic or in jest, I don't always know how to outwardly react.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

I can be sarcastic on occasion, but it's usually after I've made a point that shows where I stand. (For example, "[Such-and-such] politician said he'd stand up for [insert group here]. Like he did during [event that clearly showed him doing the opposite], huh? Oh yeah, I totally believe him! [possible eye-roll here]")

At least I try to show when I'm being sarcastic. I had a lot of trouble with it as a kid... especially if it had to do with me. :? I still have trouble nowadays with certain people. I sometimes have to ask my boyfriend, "Was that sarcastic?" because I can't tell. Even worse is his sister, though- her humor is solely a mixture of deadpan and sarcasm. I once was watching her toddler son for her and I stopped him from attempting to climb a really big tree. Upon returning to her and telling her what happened, she went, "What? If my son wants to climb a tree, he can climb a tree!" I didn't know what to say. Then only after about twenty seconds of confusion, she went, "Just kidding. Seriously, thanks for stopping him." That was cruel. How the hell was I supposed to know she was kidding? She said it with a completely straight and serious face/tone of voice. :x

CMichele
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

I make sarcastic jokes all the time, and I do find them to be funny, especially on TV where I can rewind to process it. About 50% of the time I can get sarcasm made by other people as long as I know them well enough to know they're being sarcastic. I have had some embarrassing and awkward moments though where I've missed someone's sarcasm and gotten upset or had to ask them if they were serious. :oops: