Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

What do you think about them?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

I smoke, and am almost stopped now because Welbutrin makes them taste horrible, but Welbutrin keeps me from being horribly, horribly depressed, so I don't mind. I usually do quit when I take Welbutrin.

It's a love/hate thing with cigarettes for me. I love to smoke when I'm enjoying it, and I do crave them when I don't have any or can't smoke at the moment, but they are so expensive now and I know they are terrible for my lungs and overall health. When I've quit smoking I usually have much more money to spend on other things, and I also have more energy and don't get short of breath walking longer distances.

When I was a kid and teenager, I hated the smell of cigarettes and hated being around the smoke. I grew up with three chain smokers and I had allergies and also chronic respiratory problems (ya think?) so I would try and either fan it away or go to another room. I also hated for someone to smoke near me while I was eating. That's true for me to this day. I will sit in the nonsmoking section of a restaurant every single time because I can't stand people smoking while I eat.

The one thing about quitting with Welbutrin is I don't get the moodiness and anger that I get if I try to quit without it. It's not that big a deal to me then and I only miss the habit itself, not the actual smoking. Funny thing though, when I've quit with Welbutrin I actually enjoy the smell of someone else's cigarette. It doesn't bother me or make me crave it. I don't know why.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:52 am

I don't like it when people smoke near me either, i just hate the smell and it gives me headaches, i knew someone who's room was always filled with smoke because she was/is a chain smoker, anyway nobody gets to smoke in my room, i have a friend who smokes but when she comes over she's always polite enough to smoke on the balcony.

ButterflyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2012, 2:11 am

my mom has smoked all my life but she recently quit. it's been something like 240 days or around that. I never have liked her smoking and would never smoke them myself. I am glad she quit but she still craves them every day but for her it's more of a habitual thing.

You are very likely an Aspie

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:53 am

Both my parents and my younger brother are smokers. It doesn't bother me at all and I think it's ridiculous how offended people get over smoking. (and this is coming from someone whose own grandmother developed lung cancer from smoking)

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:16 am

I think it's a gross and addicting habit to get into. I don't smoke and I don't think I ever will, I've had many chances to start. Saying that, I do feel sorry for smokers who try to quit because I can kind of see how hard it is.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:30 am

I don't mind if someone smokes, as long as it's not in a room with me.

Outside, the wind can blow the smoke away most of the time, but I will leave a room if someone has smoked in it.

Second-hand smoke kills.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

It's silly and pointlessly harmful.. But very addictive. Overpriced too, considering how much it's really worth.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

12 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

The same opinion I have on alcohol - I don't know why people would try them. They're filled with tar, for god's sake. And it actually takes some getting used to at first.

...All right, so there is nicotine and it is addictive. I'm not advocating drug abuse here, but if cigarettes taste so unpleasant at first, and all people are looking for in them is nicotine, why not make something that just dispenses nicotine? All the addiction without the lung damage! :lol:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jun 2012, 11:29 am

I hate the stench! I get sickened by that smell, even if I'm driving down the highway and somebody up ahead is smoking. It comes into the vents in the car, and I can't get it out!

I can't tell other people what to do with their bodies, but I have the right to despise their smoke as it comes to me.

And for those who do smoke (or do other things that aren't good for you), just know that I don't look the way I do at age 45, and regularly do athletics like a 19-year-old just by accident... Your choice is to sit back and have a beer and a smoke after you finish off that pizza, but don't dare be upset that you might have a belly and hardened arteries, and a wet cough, or that you can't run up a hill :wink:

Charles

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Both my parents and my younger brother are smokers. It doesn't bother me at all and I think it's ridiculous how offended people get over smoking. (and this is coming from someone whose own grandmother developed lung cancer from smoking)

My mother smokes and the only time it ever bothered me was when she used to smoke in the living room and the air conditioner blew it all into my bedroom. Other than that I'm just used to it.

I can't stand cigars and feel physically ill if I'm around someone smoking them indoors and don't like the scent outside either but then it's not as strong and easier to get away. I also hate charcoal. I'm not too big a fan of incense either. Most burning smells bother me and sometimes give me panic attacks.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

I hate cigarrettes. I hate the way they smell. But they were a special interest of mine when I was about 8. It's odd because I didn't like them. Rather, I think they were a special interest because of how I hated them.

My maternal grandfather was a very heavy smoker. My mom says that he hardly ever had a cigarrette out of his hand. He quit when he got very ill. He was very ill, always had this chronic cough. I remember him coughing very hard. I was surprised when I learned that he was ill because he was such a heavy smoker for so long. He'd already quit and I never saw him smoke. I used to wonder why he always had such a bad cough.

He was one of the few people I felt a very big affection for. I hated cigarrettes since I learned he was a heavy smoker, because I saw just how ill he was. Maybe if he hadn't been so ill he might still be here, and I could tell him all about my pets. He's one of the very few people who loved animals as much as I do.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

I hate them, but I smoke. I can't seem to think well without them. :?

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

I gave up over 3 years ago. Don't like them but I want one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

Smoke 'em if you want to.

Something has to kill you.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

Albirea wrote:
The same opinion I have on alcohol - I don't know why people would try them. They're filled with tar, for god's sake. And it actually takes some getting used to at first.

...All right, so there is nicotine and it is addictive. I'm not advocating drug abuse here, but if cigarettes taste so unpleasant at first, and all people are looking for in them is nicotine, why not make something that just dispenses nicotine? All the addiction without the lung damage! :lol:

The sucking of a cigarrette is a pleasant sensation too, plus the heat. There are electronic cigarrettes though, and I'm looking forward to try them.

And generally speaking I'm an occassional/social smoker. On my own I'll almost never smoke unless I'm particularily nervous or utterly bored, or when I notice it's been more than a month without smoking and I'll lose my tolerance to it if I let too much time pass. On the other hand, if I'm with my smoking friends I'll smoke with them, although at times it gets overwhelming so every other time I take little... bits? from their cigarrettes instead of lighting my own. Those days I can smoke 2-7 cigarrettes, ranging from an afternoon meeting to a night out.

I enjoy smoking. It gives me a very pleasant sensation, while not being a need.