Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:47 am

I hope it is OK, if I post here. I usually post in the parent section, but I was hoping to reach a larger set of people.

My 7 year old is really into the Japanese kana/kanji writing system (not anime or the culture so much---but primarily the writing, because he is hyperlexic) He is self taught.

We bought him a bilingual Japanese folk tale book from Amazon, but Amazon does not have a really good selection of bilingual English/Japanese or Japanese titles.

My son expressed an interest in trying to read The Hobbit in Japanese. There is apparently a translation by Teiji Seta that is spoken of well. (I do not know Japanese, and so am not a good judge.) Amazon only had a used/auction entry. I would prefer not to have to deal with an auction and would like a new copy at a reasonable price.

Does anyone know what would be a good source for something like this? My son's interests are not typical ---He doesn't like super heroes or things like that, and he would really like a bigger Japanese book collection.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

I'll post to my cousin. She studies Japanese culture and dance as well as being a seller of kimono.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

Uhm, it's a bit of a graphic book, it's about the atomic bomb falling in WWII on Japan, it's "Grave of the Fireflies" if you wanna know what it's about, read the description or whatever, but the movie is available, too. But, the original novel is available in Japanese.

Anyway, Japanese books, the best place I know of to get them is...damn they closed. I was gonna recommend Sasuga Japanese books in MA, but they closed apparently. Huh wow. Anyway, quick Google Search directed me towards these people here: http://www.bookoffusa.com/?cmd=store#store0 You'd have to call them up for business, though. So your guesses are about as good as mine for Japanese book stores, I guess you gotta google-fu some in America, there's a good amount. That specific book you're looking for could cost a bit, though. Maybe there's someone Japanese here who could help you out, media mail isn't too expensive from Japan, just might take a bit of time. http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/japanese-books.html This is an option, I think they're in JP, though, so shipping.

Anyway, if he and you don't mind comics, they're pretty easy to get here, moreso than actual Japanese books. The only Japanese book I have is a Japanese Bible I found at a thrift store, where it's partially bilingual, but it's not uncommon to see Japanese bookstores show their stuff off at anime cons, and comic shops to have some random Japanese comics lying around. The good thing about Japanese comics is that the kanji usually got hiragana over them, so if he doesn't know the kanji he can still read them, so that's good.

Good luck, best bet is look for used stuff on ebay imo.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

Since you specified he's not interested in anime or manga..I think your best bet is checking out ebay for text books used for Japanese language courses. I have a handbook I brought years ago for learning katakana or whatever is easier..I never got that far due to a loss in interest. If you don't want to dump the larger sums of money for college textbooks (I think Japanese is only ever offered as a course at this level) try one of the beginners katakana or hiragana(f**k I can't spell it right now).

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

Kinokuniya online store ships world wide.
I love visiting kinokuniya in NYC although my Japanese is limited

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Since you specified he's not interested in anime or manga..I think your best bet is checking out ebay for text books used for Japanese language courses. I have a handbook I brought years ago for learning katakana or whatever is easier..I never got that far due to a loss in interest. If you don't want to dump the larger sums of money for college textbooks (I think Japanese is only ever offered as a course at this level) try one of the beginners katakana or hiragana(f**k I can't spell it right now).

It sounds like he already knows hiragana, katakana and a good chunk of kanji.

A better question, is your son available as a japanese tutor? :P