Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

Atomsk wrote:
I earned my bachelor's from my university with many many sleepless nights, and almost every single night having 4 or fewer hours of sleep. Even on weekends I'd get a similar amount of sleep.

However, when I'm doing things like a lot of socializing, or doing things like dealing with a lot of things that bother me or are difficult for me, I get tired very fast - and on days where I must deal with those things, having more sleep than 2-4 hours helps.

But most nights, I get about 4 hours of sleep.

And many nights I still go sleepless because of my main special interest - which was a big cause of the sleeplessness in university as well.

Socializing drains the life out of me. I know exactly what you're talking about. Even if I'm performing great, being social throws me off when I have little sleep.

That too. Special interests can be wonderful, but really screw you over when it comes to getting adequate sleep. That would also happen to me. I'd get caught up with my interest and end up not getting my assignments done until 2 or 3 in the morning.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

I used to sleep really normal. I'd go to bed at 10, wake up for school. No problems. Then my senior year in high school I took a bunch of AP classes and I had to stay up late a lot and 8 years later I still can't fall asleep even though I don't have any work keeping me up.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

poppyfields wrote:
I used to sleep really normal. I'd go to bed at 10, wake up for school. No problems. Then my senior year in high school I took a bunch of AP classes and I had to stay up late a lot and 8 years later I still can't fall asleep even though I don't have any work keeping me up.

You turned into an insomniac, eh? Do you wake up early with no issues?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

Kinme wrote:
Venger wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYS5rOf4Nc[/youtube]

Good call. ;D

lol, I seriously thought this thread might be about that song when I saw the title. My favorite band by the way.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

Kinme wrote:
iggy64 wrote:
I need less sleep than a lot of people I know my age, I sleep for 6 hours. However, reduce that by even 1 hour and I start feeling terrible by 2pm and sleep about 8-9 hours the next night :roll:

If I get 6 hours though, everything is fine.

So, it has to be an exact amount of time, otherwise, it throws your day off?

Yeah, pretty much. I can sleep longer sometimes, but I usually wake up at the time I usually wake up anyway. Sleeping longer doesn't have such a big effect on me as sleeping too little, although I would describe it as noticeable, certainaly for a few hours in the morning.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

Kinme wrote:
I'm not sure how long it's been since this kind of thread was posted, so I'm posting one:

Is there anyone else who gets almost no sleep and can function well enough to do fine at work, school, college, etcetera? I still excel in my classes and I get MAYBE four hours of sleep each night. I'm also very restless when I sleep and so I end up feeling like crap when I wake up. I have extreme sensitivity to everything and become overly stimulated, but I can still perform exceptionally when it comes to exams and stuff. I notice I can also focus better, since I can only concentrate on one thing at a time in the morning and early afternoon.

Do you guys feel like any of your abilities are heightened when you get no sleep, or do you have more trouble doing things you're usually good at?

OMG dis is like you read my mind!! !!

I usually sleep 5-6 hours a night (maybe a bit more in the night afterwards) Not only that, but at 3 or 4 am I actually go out for a jog and the streets are EMPTY. Nothing. Best weather, best feeling. I come back sweaty, shower and then I take my 5-6 hours. As I am writing this this I'm kinda tired but can't sleep due to thoughts reccuring in my mind I can't clean my head :\

Dunno if that's due to the pills I take though. Or due to the unberable hot weather. I literally showered like 4 times today and I sweat alot (don't have oversweat problems) - I was walking and going places and being outside today, even after all that I am not in bed yet bah

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

Venger wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Venger wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYS5rOf4Nc[/youtube]

Good call. ;D

lol, I seriously thought this thread might be about that song when I saw the title. My favorite band by the way.

:D... No, but it added humor to this miserable topic. Should make a thread dedicated to songs that help people sleep. :p

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

iggy64 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
iggy64 wrote:
I need less sleep than a lot of people I know my age, I sleep for 6 hours. However, reduce that by even 1 hour and I start feeling terrible by 2pm and sleep about 8-9 hours the next night :roll:

If I get 6 hours though, everything is fine.

So, it has to be an exact amount of time, otherwise, it throws your day off?

Yeah, pretty much. I can sleep longer sometimes, but I usually wake up at the time I usually wake up anyway. Sleeping longer doesn't have such a big effect on me as sleeping too little, although I would describe it as noticeable, certainaly for a few hours in the morning.

I always feel like crap if I sleep like 10 or 15 hours. Probably worse than if I only got 2 or 3 hours of sleep. Do you use caffeine to wake up when your day has been thrown off, or something?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

This thread makes me want to stay up longer and sleep less :D

Thank you all! :D

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

Uprising wrote:
This thread makes me want to stay up longer and sleep less :D

Thank you all! :D

Why's that? :0

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Chummy wrote:
Kinme wrote:
I'm not sure how long it's been since this kind of thread was posted, so I'm posting one:

Is there anyone else who gets almost no sleep and can function well enough to do fine at work, school, college, etcetera? I still excel in my classes and I get MAYBE four hours of sleep each night. I'm also very restless when I sleep and so I end up feeling like crap when I wake up. I have extreme sensitivity to everything and become overly stimulated, but I can still perform exceptionally when it comes to exams and stuff. I notice I can also focus better, since I can only concentrate on one thing at a time in the morning and early afternoon.

Do you guys feel like any of your abilities are heightened when you get no sleep, or do you have more trouble doing things you're usually good at?

OMG dis is like you read my mind!! !!

I usually sleep 5-6 hours a night (maybe a bit more in the night afterwards) Not only that, but at 3 or 4 am I actually go out for a jog and the streets are EMPTY. Nothing. Best weather, best feeling. I come back sweaty, shower and then I take my 5-6 hours. As I am writing this this I'm kinda tired but can't sleep due to thoughts reccuring in my mind I can't clean my head :\

Dunno if that's due to the pills I take though. Or due to the unberable hot weather. I literally showered like 4 times today and I sweat alot (don't have oversweat problems) - I was walking and going places and being outside today, even after all that I am not in bed yet bah

That sounds so peaceful... I'm paranoid, so I don't walk around at night, but around here is kinda similar. I couldn't sleep last night, either. I feel awful today. My sleep was incredibly broken.

I'd like to take four or five showers a day, but I usually jump into my little brothers' pool to make up for it. :p... Maybe you should count some sheep, or buy a lava lamp! ;D

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2012, 5:15 pm

Kinme wrote:
Socializing drains the life out of me. I know exactly what you're talking about. Even if I'm performing great, being social throws me off when I have little sleep.

That too. Special interests can be wonderful, but really screw you over when it comes to getting adequate sleep. That would also happen to me. I'd get caught up with my interest and end up not getting my assignments done until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Like you and a lot of the other people here, socialization WRECKS me. I'm so mentally exhausted afterward that I find it difficult to function, and unless I get up wards of 9 hours of sleep, I can't do anything the next day well.

I have three good friends that have Asperger's Syndrome.
We're all interested in gaming, and one or two other things. Friend 1 likes gaming and music, for instance. Friend 2 likes gaming and automobiles. :P

Generally it always ends up going towards religion at the end of a long conversation though. We love our philosophy, and we love asking "Why" to things we don't know. If nobody else knows a sufficient answer, we observe, exchange notes, and think until we come to something that makes sense. It generally works well.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

Azereiah wrote:
Kinme wrote:

Like you and a lot of the other people here, socialization WRECKS me. I'm so mentally exhausted afterward that I find it difficult to function, and unless I get up wards of 9 hours of sleep, I can't do anything the next day well.

We're all interested in gaming, and one or two other things. Friend 1 likes gaming and music, for instance. Friend 2 likes gaming and automobiles. :P

Generally it always ends up going towards religion at the end of a long conversation though. We love our philosophy, and we love asking "Why" to things we don't know. If nobody else knows a sufficient answer, we observe, exchange notes, and think until we come to something that makes sense. It generally works well.

A tree limb moved in front of my window and scared the heck out of me! LOL!

The best part of the socializing is when I can leave, personally. :p

Do they drain you as much as NT's? I'm curious.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

If I get more than about 5 hours of sleep, its more likely that I will just stay in bed most of the day. I do pretty well though on no sleep though, and I can stay up for 2 daya without much of a problem.

Kinme wrote:
Azereiah wrote:

I have an aspie friend, and one who is probably on the spectrum somewhere, and neither are particularly draining compared to most other people.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:03 pm

brickmack wrote:
If I get more than about 5 hours of sleep, its more likely that I will just stay in bed most of the day. I do pretty well though on no sleep though, and I can stay up for 2 daya without much of a problem.
Kinme wrote:
Azereiah wrote:

I have an aspie friend, and one who is probably on the spectrum somewhere, and neither are particularly draining compared to most other people.

Same here. I've noticed that when I'm talking to aspies or people on the spectrum, I tend to not be as warn out after a conversation. Maybe because their is less conversation and more focus on what we're doing (games, etc.).

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

Kinme wrote:

Not nearly as much as NTs, though it's usually one on one conversations with them.
Generally speaking to NTs will exhaust me, especially if I didn't learn anything.

Sometimes there will be exceptions in which I gain information or wisdom, which leave me feeling happier, though still a little tired. Part of the reason I debate with evangelists :P