Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm

Not sure about you, but I've always had trouble dealing with irrationality; lately it's been those with prejudices against drugs that I get most frustrated by - in the past it was religious people. The latter I now deal with like most people deal with children... inconsequential, although I know they can be deadly (luckily I wasn't affected terribly by the most fanatic) - now, with regards to drugs, both are kind of connected, as religious people tend to be anti-drugs (just like they tend to be sexist and racist).

I mean, I can't even see how people can even be convinced about having any opinion at all in the world if they don't have all the information possible... and having perfect knowledge is impossible, but if there's one thing I'm convinced about is the irrationality of prohibition. It's like proving a negative (very much like a belief in gods...)

(Not to mention the utter hypocrisy of anti-drugs campaigners who are likely drinking beer and smoking tobacco at the same time.)

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

How about the irrationality of people that vote for a guy who stands for the same things as the last guy, expecting different results? How do you feel about that?

As for you're problem, I can't say much because I'm not sure what the argument is from the people that support prohibition.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

The only thing you can do is hold to your opinion, keep your opinion to yourself when your around people who you know don't have ears, and whenever you're around people who are capable of better thought be sure to show them your support.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

It sounds like you are talking about hypocrisy. People supporting prohibition but drinking and smoking while they do?

As for the religious, they are all hypocrites anyway. Peopl call themselves christian but really don't live by what the gospels were trying to say. And St Paul is the biggest of all, because straight away he is judgemental in his biblical texts and Jesus preached people to not judge others.