Sandusky guilty on 45 counts live right now

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Experts agree this helps the victims to see they are not powerless, they matter, and they can help bring their perpetrator to justice.

Oh and by the way, if Sandusky would have been found not guilty or acquitted the same people complaining about his defense would be praising it to the skies. It's only because he was found guilty that, suddenly, his defense is awful! Just admit the evidence was there, the jury convicted him. It wouldn't matter what his defense team did. The evidence points to guilty. It's time for the man to do the time for the crime as they say and for people to accept the fact a jury found this man guilty on 45 counts. That's a lot.

The defense could have had a hundred years to prepare for the case, and would still have lost due to Sandusky's overwhelming guilt.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:14 am

if he somehow were to be released from prison for any reason, i wonder how safe he would be?

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

I hate to break it to you people, but Sandusky is probably going to get a new trial if he wants one, in my opinion. His lawyers just came out and said they wanted to quit before the trial started because they could not prepare enough (amazingly). He has, to put it conservatively, an excellent shot at claiming lawyer incompetence to get a new trial and have it start all over again...

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:31 am

iBlockhead wrote:
I hate to break it to you people, but Sandusky is probably going to get a new trial if he wants one, in my opinion. His lawyers just came out and said they wanted to quit before the trial started because they could not prepare enough (amazingly). He has, to put it conservatively, an excellent shot at claiming lawyer incompetence to get a new trial and have it start all over again...
yes i read that too,there may be hope because some states allow the appeals court to decide if issue of appeal would have altered the verdict and in this case the evidence is so overwhelming that it may not matter.the prosecution also make mistakes there are several appealable issues

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2012, 11:32 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
This seems to be a complicated case. Can anyone summarise it?

It has a Wikipedia page here. It looks correct from what I see. There are already 160 references for it, so if I missed something they would be there likely.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

iBlockhead wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
This seems to be a complicated case. Can anyone summarise it?

It has a Wikipedia page here. It looks correct from what I see. There are already 160 references for it, so if I missed something they would be there likely.
its actualy very simple
jerry sandusky thev former defensive coach for the penn st nitny lions was convicted of raping or molesting 45 of his former students.even if the judge gives the most leanient sentence the judge can give is 60 years in prison which for the 68 year old sandusky is a life sentence.

there are some appealable issues but those issues are legal technicalities and the evidence against sandusky is so overwhelming he would surely get convicted again.the only question is whether the victims must relive this ordeal

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

Let me give you a weird personal story about this case.

I moved to Penn State a couple of years ago before any of this had started. At that time I had some experiences in life that had got me very interested in the idea of pride as a sin. I was reading extensively about it. Some good books about it are 'Humility: True Greatness' (Maheney), 'Humility' (Murray), and there's an awesome excerpt in C.S. Lewis book 'Mere Christianity' on the subject of Pride. I suppose you could say it became quite a special interest.

Anyway so when I arrived at Penn State I was seeing the word 'Pride' everywhere, on the bus I took to work, on the walls around campus, and of course in anything related to the PSU football team. I was somewhat puzzled at how pride, which is generally considered the worst sin in Christianity, was somehow being re-branded as a virtue.

What really got to me though was the way that town worshipped, and I mean really worshipped Joe Pa. I would go to just about any restaurant and the menu would have his picture, food would be named after him, and the walls would have his caricature and photos. Walking down the main street downtown, just about every shop window would have his picture, and some would have that awful phrase "welcome to Paternoville". I found the level of esteem people held that man in very very extreme. Not being from the US I figured it was a cultural thing I was unfamiliar with, but I still felt it was very much overdone.

I remember walking home from work one day and seeing his photo in a shop window and thinking about all I had read about Pride, then I remembered the Bible verse "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18). As I looked at his picture I suddenly felt that all this pride and Joe Pa worship would result in a fall, and as I looked at the photo I remember clearly thinking about the Catholic abuse scandal and that what usually brings down old men is child abuse allegations. I looked at his eyes though and just felt no, I can tell he's not that type. I didn't think much of it but always carried the sentiment that the excesses of pride I was seeing were not good and were not going to end well.

When the whole Sandusky issue broke out there were camera vans all over town, including some right outside the store where I seen his photo and was thinking all this. I watched the whole thing unfold and how utterly humiliated and upset everybody was, including Joe Pa. When he died I remember thinking this whole situation was so predictable. I don't really think Joe Pa himself was responsible for all this worship. He lived in a modest house on campus, wore modest clothes, helped build libraries etc. and was known as a nice person who would chat to students as he walked across campus on the way to work. I think it's the culture of pride which pervaded that entire town which is to blame.

It's really sad what happened to those kids, and I hope the justice that was served is helping them heal. But at the same time I think there were other bigger lessons about humility which were learned that everybody overlooked.