Signs you should look for a new job?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:10 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking for a different job. What are some signs that things aren't going well and it's time to move on?

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

What? Is that actually a question? I don't know - how about when you want more money for things you can't afford? Or you feel opressed at the job you're at?

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

When it's deadly dull and every day always one and the same, like SSDD. Then it's time to move on and look for a new challenge.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

When every time you see the boss and he says, "How are you?" you want to reply, "Go f*ck yourself!"

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 5:27 pm

GumbyLives wrote:
Signs you should look for a new job?

When the officememo contains a picture of you having sex with a co-worker.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

If you are down with utter depression
and this depression is just related to your work place atmosphere

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

I would say if you hate your job you should look for a new one, but I've gotten the impression most people think the notion of a job you like is ridiculous and therefore you should just suck it up and keep the one you hate.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 12:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
If you hate your job you should not look for a new one.....I guess most people hate their jobs anyways so the best thing to do is continue working somewhere you hate.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but I will regard it as not, and disagree.

However, if your life will be worse without a job(speaking mainly of economy), then you best suck it up until you can find another job. In my country the state takes care of us for a year with 100% pay if we get sick, but I am aware it's not like that everywhere, so taking a sickleave is not an option for everyone, and a huge sickleave on the resumé is not appealing to any potential new boss.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
If you hate your job you should not look for a new one.....I guess most people hate their jobs anyways so the best thing to do is continue working somewhere you hate.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but I will regard it as not, and disagree.

However, if your life will be worse without a job(speaking mainly of economy), then you best suck it up until you can find another job. In my country the state takes care of us for a year with 100% pay if we get sick, but I am aware it's not like that everywhere, so taking a sickleave is not an option for everyone, and a huge sickleave on the resumé is not appealing to any potential new boss.

I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post....I don't know thought my point would be more clear......but that wording was kind of a joke.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post....I don't know thought my point would be more clear..

The logic behind my post were this; If you end up without a job, and consequently without money or a home, you might be worse off without that job, than "happily" without.

Sweetleaf wrote:

From what I gathered from your pre-edit, you advised to not look for another job if you hate your current job..which I feel is a weird statement, and you also said the best thing would be to just continue working at that place instead of trying to find a better place to work, which I again don't understand the logic behind.
Sweetleaf wrote:
I would say if you hate your job you should look for a new one, but I've gotten the impression most people think the notion of a job you like is ridiculous and therefore you should just suck it up and keep the one you hate.

However, in your edit, from what I understand, you turn around and advice to do go look for a new job. In which case, we agree. :scratch:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Blownmind wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post....I don't know thought my point would be more clear..

The logic behind my post were this; If you end up without a job, and consequently without money or a home, you might be worse off without that job, than "happily" without.

That all depends, I mean say I found a way to survive without money or a home that I liked more than having the crappy job. Or what if I found another way to make money. But yes that is possible, I think if I decided I was better off with the job I'd keep it but still consider finding another one as soon as possible.

Sweetleaf wrote:

From what I gathered from your pre-edit, you advised to not look for another job if you hate your current job..which I feel is a weird statement, and you also said the best thing would be to just continue working at that place instead of trying to find a better place to work, which I again don't understand the logic behind.

I was being satirical, I actually think the opposite of that.

Sweetleaf wrote:

However, in your edit, from what I understand, you turn around and advice to do go look for a new job. In which case, we agree. :scratch:

Yeah wasn't sure I wanted to be satirical, so I edited it to better reflect my actual opinion, didn't know anyone really had time to read or respond to the first one before I edited it.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 5:28 am

Blownmind wrote:

True.

In this economy, it's best to appreciate any good job you've got. If you "hate" a job, look for another. Beats sponging off welfare if you have the aptitude and ability to work. "Hating" work isn't an excuse to not work-- that's utter lazyness. People don't want to work because not every job or every task at a job interest you. So what if you don't like doing something... you're getting paid to do it, and working is part of a meaningful and productive life. It would be a sad, sheer waste to sit at home sponging off welfare all day playing video games and internet just because you dislike the available jobs. If you have to work fast food or minimum wage for a while, so be it. That's taking charge of your life. If you physically can't work fast food, find a job in a quieter office or cleaning houses.

Sometimes you have to suck it up and either find another job, or do the one you've got the best you can.

Reasons to look for another job?
- Old boss retires or gets fired... new boss might want to hire their own staff.
- Company lays off a lot of people.
- Company profits decline even more.
- Poor office culture, backstabbing, immaturity.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 5:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post....I don't know thought my point would be more clear......but that wording was kind of a joke.

Refusing to work merely because you hate a job is what is considered lazy and unproductive. Furthermore, if you don't get welfare, you're penniless and have no money for food, housing, and living. If you do have welfare but refuse to ever do any sort of job, you're milking the system. Welfare should be for people who *need* it, and are truly unable to work... not those who merely refuse to work because they dislike a job.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 5:32 am

GumbyLives wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking for a different job. What are some signs that things aren't going well and it's time to move on?

Also look at your performance reviews. If they are bad, it may be time.

And, observe hiring and staffing changes. New bosses sometimes want to hire their own staff. If your job is something that is dated (say, you're a typewriter operator or have outdated skills), it might be time to look at other jobs. Or, if you find a job that pays more and has better benefits.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'm stuck because the social demands in this job have totally exhausted me. But that's often been true in other jobs I've had. So if I quit, I will lose benefits again, and have to start all over somewhere else - and maybe just have the same or worse problems come up in the new job too.

I always lock on to what boss or company says is SUPPOSED to be true or happen regarding work goals and such, but it always turns out to be pretty smoke. So I end up being the employee who worked their butt off and did a great job - but am locked in a quagmire of politics, games, and so on. I can do the work - but I can't understand or cope with enough of my coworkers to not get totally burned out again. So I'm a work-loser over and over again. Because I can't stop wanting my workplace to work like I'm told its supposed to work.

I am unable to get welfare or any other sort of assistance in this. My current boss is sympathetic, but can't change the work atmosphere either.

I'm exhausted again. And I don't see how to not just keep doing what I've done my whole work life. And I don't know whether to bother looking elsewhere anymore.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

aaahchu
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2012, 7:44 am

I study the general demenour of my manager in detail - what he wears (tie, belt, shoes, suit), how he looks (shaven, hairstyle), how he talks (slower, faster), what he does during his day (who does he talk to). I then also hang around the photocopy room to see what confidential documents are lying around at the end of the day and I read them all. If they are good material, I quietly take a copy.

By studying your manager - you can quickly identify differences and accord them to outcomes. For example, you might notice that when he is in a good mood he usually wears a particular tie. When he is worried about his day or is apprehensive about something (e.g. he has a big presentation to do which he is unsure as to how well he will do) he might wear a different sort of tie.

You can then statistically analyse all of this to determine the likelihood of outcomes. I have been able to successfully predict my firing every time by a number of months by noticing small changes in the way my manager dresses or interacts with me. The big hints are:
- When they dont seem to care about your performance review anymore and tell you "you are doing just great!" when you know you havent actually done anything
- When you dont get invited to meetings anymore
- When you notice them holding meetings with human resources on different levels - I try to follow them around the building by printing to different floors, acting as if I am going to the kitchen so I can walk past the meeting room and use the glass walls to see who is inside and what their body language looks like (then compare it to my body language decoding book)
- Asking other staff what they think is happening
- You dont get new work assigned to you or you get told "oh Bob will do that from now on"