Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:14 pm

Boring and predictable. The birth of the creature at the end lowered it into the realm of ridiculous.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

Still better then Avatar IMO :)

Amethyst
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

For me it was an awful movie - I sat there waiting for it to get going until the end credits.
Very disappointing, the most convincing character was the holographic dog.
Guy Pierce's make-up was about as convincing as the plot itself.
I loved the first two movies, especially Captain Dallas.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:38 am

Went to see it and it is beautiful, and technically superb. So long as it is showing you ships, vistas, and vast alien architecture, it's lovely.
But the plot feels like it was written by three or four writers, all with a different movie in mind.
For instance, the android keeps investigating the alien fortress for any aliens. He finds the alien goo, and infects one of the crew with it. Nobody, but nobody stops and says, "hey now, how did he get infected with that alien stuff." We even see that the android brought back an entire canister of the stuff into the ship. Nobody saw him? And nobody corrects him, he's a very naughty android.The Charlize Theron character corners him and threatens him, and he all but laughs at her. Then in the protracted end sequence, he becomes headless but keeps chatting away, like the android in Alien, and the one in Alien 3. We are asked to believe that he even pilots the alien ship off into space in this condition.

I'm thinking of starting a thread "Problems with Prometheus".

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

The canister was in a duffle bag. The were all distracted by the storm and David was a great help when the doctor ran out to retrieve the alien head. He just wasn't a very suspicious character.

Also the guy that got infected was the first dumbass to take off his helmet. So maybe foul play isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

I went in to this movie expecting it to be a really bad. It was written by Damen Lindelof the man from Lost. As well as a few other writers. So I thought it was better than I thought it was going to be. I liked all of the alien movies for differant reasons. The first two are my favourite. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I went in to this movie expecting it to be a really bad. It was written by Damen Lindelof the man from Lost. As well as a few other writers. So I thought it was better than I thought it was going to be. I liked all of the alien movies for differant reasons. The first two are my favourite. :D

My favorite remains the original - pristine sci/fi-horror.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cecilfienkelstien wrote:

I don't think theirs a bad frame in the entire wovie. The second one is more of an action movie than horror but it is still awesome. I was not a fan of Avatar. All my friend hated me for that but I don't care. :lol:
Scott is a good visualist. I find he does better work when he is paired with a good screenwriter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:31 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cecilfienkelstien wrote:

I don't think theirs a bad frame in the entire wovie. The second one is more of an action movie than horror but it is still awesome. I was not a fan of Avatar. All my friend hated me for that but I don't care. :lol:
Scott is a good visualist. I find he does better work when he is paired with a good screenwriter.

Absolutely. 8)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

Well, I'll concede this movie does not have much of a plot. It's almost entirely driven by the characters and setting.

But..... I felt this movie had very strong influences from H.P. Lovecraft and his stories are also like that. At most Lovecraft might offer one creepy twist in the story, but he seemed to think that the scariest thing was the uknown. In fact even in stories where the plot does have some freaky twist, it leads to the conclusion that a main character has been consigned to some terrible "unknown" fate.

It could be because I've read many fiction stories like this and enjoyed them that I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus. From what I recall At the Mountain of Madness didn't have much of a plot but was still interesting to me.

With that if I want to nitpick I'm tempted to agree that ramming the ship was a bit much. I would have expected a ship built by Wayland to be armed with weapons. Also I thought Vicker's character was wasted and suddenly discarded.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 2:45 pm

I liked the HP Lovecraft feel to prometheus. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
I liked the HP Lovecraft feel to prometheus. 8)

The original Alien definitely had a Lovecraftian vibe to it. So much so that many writers and film critics had added it to the Cthulhu Mythos, even though no mention of the Old Ones, the Necronomican, or any other Lovecraft literary inventions were ever mentioned.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 6:09 pm

In a weird way I though John Carpenter's THE THING had elements of Lovecraft. In fact the Thing reminded me of the Shoggoth shape shifter in At The Mountains of Madness.

Then of course later Carpenter did In The Mouth Of Madness.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
In a weird way I though John Carpenter's THE THING had elements of Lovecraft. In fact the Thing reminded me of the Shoggoth shape shifter in At The Mountains of Madness.

Then of course later Carpenter did In The Mouth Of Madness.

Absolutely! As a matter of fact, H.P. Lovecraft had sold At The Mountains Of Madness to a magazine edited by John W. Campbell, who then went on to write Who Goes There, which was of course the basis of The Thing. It doesn't take a great leap of logic to realize that Campbell was most likely inspired by Lovecraft.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:14 pm

Oddly enough Guillermo Del Toro was interested in making At The Mountains of Madness until he saw Prometheus. Now he feels his vision of AtMoM would seem redundant.

Personally, I wish he would consider shifting gears to Call of Cthulhu instead.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Oddly enough Guillermo Del Toro was interested in making At The Mountains of Madness until he saw Prometheus. Now he feels his vision of AtMoM would seem redundant.

Personally, I wish he would consider shifting gears to Call of Cthulhu instead.

Agreed, absolutely.