Sound Blaster Live oem sound card
80GB 7200rpm Seagate HDD
40GB 7200rpm Seagate HDD
450W PSU

djrx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2007, 3:47 am

I have a selfbuild which i upgrade as and when I can afford it.

I just had to upgrade pretty much everything because I wanted to pla oblivion, and it seemed a waste of money paying more for AGP cards than PCIE which are better.

I bought the most basic of everything, except the motherboard, with the intention of upgrading further when i can afford it.

MSI K9A Platinum CrossFire SKT AM2 Motherboard
Athlon 64 3500+
1GB PC5300 DDR2
2x Radeon X1600 Pro's in crossfire.
1 standard CD R RW
1x DVD R RW RAM +/- DL etc
3x very low noise case fans 11db (I cant block out the noise normal computer fans make)
1x cpu fan 17db
1x zalman 600w psu 18db
Fan controller
250GB SATA II HD, I think western digital, cant remember just bought the cheapest.
7.1 creative labs speakers.
19" widescreen monitor by acer.

I will upgrade to dual core, better memory, better graphics cards as and when I can afford to. Not a priority at the moment tho as I'm not a big gamer. It copes with Oblivion just fine, so that's all I need.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm

Desktop:
Custom Built about 2 years ago with modifications as I can afford them. I think this is the best way to do computers. I got the original tower up and running for around $600 by pretty much gutting my over modified Dell. Over the years I've added to and improved it. I got a new processor over the summer and the next step is getting a pair of 160 or 200 GB SATA drives for a RAID 0 array and after that another gig of RAM.

OS: Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM (you can get great deals on OEM licenses. You can only install on one computer (vs. 6, I think, for a regular license) but it is much much cheaper.

Significant Programs:
- Firefox 2.0.0.1 with a pile of ad ons
- Thunderbird 2.0 beta 1 (Minimize to tray needs to get updated before I go for beta 2)
- dbPowerAmp (audio format converter, sooooo useful, free)
- ProTools M-Powered 7.1 (multi-track recording software)
- DVD Decrypter (rips DVDs :twisted: ) (free)
- Exact Audio Copy (really nice CD ripper, I rip to .flac with it for use with...) (free)
- WinAmp w/ Vista Skin (it looks really nice, free)
- GAIM (windows port of linux chat client, free)
- Microsoft Office 2002 (not used any more)
- OpenOffice 2.1 (kicks MS-Office's ass all over the place and it's free :wink: )
- Sony Sound Forge 8.0 (stereo audio editor)
- SyncToy (free toy from MS, synchronizes folders really nicely)
- VNC 4.1.2 Viewer and Server (remote control computers over a network, free)
- WinDirStat (graphically shows what's taking up your HD space, free)
- WinRAR (compressor and decompressor, great features, on like day 400 of the free trial :wink: )
- System Info 1.65 (more than you would ever want to know about your computer, download here.

Motherboard: ASUS AV8 Deluxe
- 5 PCI, 1 AGP
- 3 ATA busses
- 4 SATA ports
- Gigabit Ethernet

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (dual core 2.0Ghz, some day I will overclock)

Memory 2x512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200 RAM

Video: nVidia GeForce FX5200, 128MB RAM, 2xVGA ports (yeah, it is pretty damn old but it works, I don't really game that much.)
- Dell M770 17" CRT
- ViewSonic A91f+ 19" CRT
(I'd love to get 2 19" WS LCDs, no money though)

Storage:
- HD #1: System drive: Samsung 120GB SATA HD
- HD #2: Mostly Media and Recording: Samsung 320GB SATA HD

CDROM: Old Dell CD-R drive :cry:. My LaCie Firewire DVD-R drive died on me and I'm saving up to replace it.

Sound Card: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile (24bit/96Khz converters, 2 stereo analogue and an S/PDIF outputs, 1 stereo and an S/PDIF input). It sounds amazing, nuf said. The rest of my stereo is in this thread.

Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite
Mouse: Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0
(these pretty much rock in every way possible, keyboards and mice are actually something that MS really excels at)

--------------------------------------------

Laptop:
El Cheapo Toshiba Satalite (it gits 'er done, so to speak, though)

CPU: Intel Celeron M 1.60Ghz

Memory: 512MB

HD: 80GB IDE ATA100

Video: ATI Radeon XPress 200M, 64MB shared RAM
-15.2" wide screen (1280x768)

Networking:
- 802.11g wireless
- 100Mb/s Ethernet

Mouse: Microsoft B2P Wireless Notebook Mouse (pros: really cheap but good, cons: limited range)

--------------------------------------------

General Equipment:

Networking:
- NetGear GS605 5 port Gigabit ethernet switch
- 30 T1 and 1 Gigabit Internet2 connections (shared with 3000 other students unfortunately, I have downloaded at 3000KB/s over this connection though 8) )

Printer: Lexemark Inkjet printer and scanner (got it free with the laptop :D , it is a piece of s**t :? )

Yikes this is a long post.... :roll:

JBM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2007, 10:39 pm

Dell Dimension E310

jonrkc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2007, 1:08 pm

Currently I use an Ibex PC with Intel Pentium IV 3.2-GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, a Speedstream 5100B ADSL modem via Ethernet, one Seagate Barracuda 120GB hard drive and one ditto 160GB; a Panasonic DVD+/- burner; an Endura (formerly IBM) keyboard (great for fast typists, and I go roughly 90 wpm); a Logitech wired trackball (also have a Logitech wireless mouse I like just as much); an Nvidia video card (cheap one); a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card (also cheap); a Princeton 19-inch LCD monitor; Radio Shack noise-canceling headphones; a US Robotics dial-up 56K modem for emergencies; a nearly worthless HP color inkjet printer.

I run Linux in the Ubuntu flavor and have used Linux exclusively since January 2003 when I finally met my melting point with Microsoft, whose products I will never voluntarily use again.

Software includes OpenOffice.org for word processing, spreadsheet, and potentially database (the database facility is very crude compared to the other components); Firefox, Konqueror, and Opera browsers, none of which I really like much; Thunderbird for email, which I *detest* with all my heart but have been unable to find anything better to replace it with; JPilot for personal files and syncing with my Tungsten E Palm device; The Gimp for image processing; Audacity for sound recording and editing; vlc, ogle, Kaffeine, Xine, and MPlayer for media; usually one of them kind-of-works for anything I want to play; K3B for CD/DVD burning; Guarddog for managing my firewall configuration; gftp for managing my webspace; GPG for those rare files I have to encrypt (PIN numbers, credit-card numbers, etc.); and various other open-source stuff. (Not all I listed are open source, but at least they're not Microsoft.)

This setup is good for my needs, which do not include gaming. It would be lame for gaming. It works adequately for sound editing and image editing. Ninety percent of my computer use is with email and browser--the software I dislike the most!

I am convinced nobody tries anything out in real-world conditions before releasing software to the public.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2007, 1:14 am

@jonrkc

That's odd, I've had really good experiences with Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows (besides the occasional memory leak).

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 4:03 am

Just replaced my old, pawnshop comp with a brand new one a couple of weeks ago.....and got broadband. I'm so happy I don't know how to act. :)

Old, raggedy one.....

Compaq Presario 5000 (circa 1999)
RAM: 176MB
Space: 80GB
CD-ROM Drive: Hell if I know. I'm on my 3rd one.
Graphics and Sound Card: At least it worked.
Processor: Don't ask
Removable Storage: floppy disk drive (yep, it's old)
Modem: Slow

Brand, spanking new one.....

Compaq Presario
Ram: 519MB
Space: 200GB
Drives: CD/DVD rewritable drive w/Lightscribe
Processer: AMD Atlon 64
Removable Storage: Media card 9 in 1 reader
Modem: What do I care? I have broadband! :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 4:59 am

My next computer will either be an iMac 24" screen, or a PowerMac, with all the other stuff added on.

In either case, I will buy a 30" monitor (yes, they make them that big--and that would be bigger than my TV, which is 27").

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 12:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
My next computer will either be an iMac 24" screen, or a PowerMac, with all the other stuff added on.

In either case, I will buy a 30" monitor (yes, they make them that big--and that would be bigger than my TV, which is 27").

Tim

Macs are a waste of money.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 1:40 pm

Unknown wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

OSX 10.4 PWNS Vista

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2007, 3:22 pm

Unknown wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

I wish I had the money for a 30" Cinema Display. I've messed with them at an Apple store and they are amazing.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 3:50 pm

ahayes wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

OSX 10.4 PWNS Vista

I don't want to take vistas side but,vista can play future games IN DX 10 mode,while OS X can't,other than that,OS X is better.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2007, 6:49 pm

Unknown wrote:
ahayes wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

OSX 10.4 PWNS Vista

I don't want to take vistas side but,vista can play future games IN DX 10 mode,while OS X can't,other than that,OS X is better.

To hell with that s**t, I'd just get a PS3, or a Wii. I'm not spending a shedload of money on a system I don't have room for just to play a game that uses Microsoft's latest POS gaming API. Not to mention you have to upgrade every other year because programmers can't rely on good programming and instead just write for more expensive hardware.

Nijihamu-chan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2007, 8:04 pm

I have a mac, and it's really cool. Sure it doesn't have MS Paint. But I like having Garageband and IMovie! I don't know How I got along without them :)

Run
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2007, 12:55 pm

Hi,

I have three computers, all three running Linux of course.

My firewall is a Pentium Pro 200, real old thus. 128 MB of RAM, 30 GB harddisk.

My old PC was an athlon 900Mhz with 896 MB of RAM, but it broke down
because I upgraded some drivers and then my DVDrom didn't work anymore....
Unless I'd also upgrade the kernel - but when I did that, then the video
drivers didn't work anymore. The latest video drivers (from Nvidia) were
quite different, so I thought they simply were incompatible with my hardware.
At some moment, everything stopped working (after I installed the 'legacy'
drivers that still worked with the latest kernel, and with my videocard, so
that my dvd worked again- but then broke down when I upgraded the kernel
again - and I didn't have the old kernel anymore and couldn't get it again).

Then I got my dad's old PC, who had just bought a new one. That is a
Pentium 4, 1.7 GHZ , 1 GB of RAM. I bought a new harddisk though, so now
I have a 320 GB harddisk, and a 160 GB harddisk in it.

After that I reinstalled EVERYTHING on my old PC and it worked again!! !
So now I have three working PC's. The athlon 900 has a disk of 160 GB.

Finally, I have three monitors :twisted:

Two 17" CRT monitors that runs at 1024x768, and recently I bought a
20" LCD monitor (SyncMaster 205bw) that runs at 1680 x 1050. Normally I
have only two monitors turned on (forming one large desktop), but it's possible
to turn them on all three and then move my mouse between all three monitors.
I can only drag windows between the first two monitors however. I want to
buy two more SyncMasters, so that I have three 20" monitors, but they cost
like 300 each.

ElliottHird
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2007, 5:56 am

Shiny new iMac Core 2 Duo, 20" widescreen monitor. Gig of ram, 2.16GHz*(omg2cores). DVD/CD-RW, stuff. OS X 10.4.8. comes with a wireless apple remote and all that jazz. random ATI card, 128mb, but it works well. 200GB SATA HD goodness. And, of course, a tons of software some pirated.

AND

crappy computer deluxe two thousand and zero, beige case, ton of crappiness, runs whichever form of lewnix i stick on there