Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

I thought i would share my new routine and see what y'all think. It starts this up coming Monday.
[Monday]
2 mile run. As fast as i can finish 2 miles. Current record is 14:01 for 2.21 miles and 13:30 on 2 miles(pretty slow huh?).
Upper abs(sit ups) 150 - 200 of them. Sets of 50.

[Tuesday]
sprints(4 sets of 120 meter sprints there, slow jog back.)
military presses, various other exercises for shoulders.
obliques

[Wednesday]
2 mile run. As fast as i can do 2 miles.
bench presses(light, 50 pounds all together. 100 reps, 3 to 5 sets) and butterfly presses(25 pounds each arm).
lower abs(jack knives)

[Thursday]
sprints(4 - 6 sets of 60 meter sprints there, slow jog back.)
upper body plyometrics with light dumb bells. 5 and 10 pounds. Super setted.

[Friday]
2 to 3 mile relaxed run. I am pretty sure it will turn into a race though lol rest upper body

[Saturday]
rest

[Sunday]
rest

Not enough? Should I be doing more? I am getting ready for some 5k's and am aiming towards cutting up some more.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 7:20 pm

If you can keep that up then your way more healthy that the average american, I'm gonna get back in to using the dumbbells i like them and remember the warm up and diet that i find is great to reduce injury, What do you use for that extra boost of energy when not in the mood, I know there are supplements and tunes help i was curious to what you do and jogging in less polluted areas where the oxygen is cleaner :thumleft:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

Well, you might be able to improve your times by of course, my favorites, squats and deadlifts. Squats and deads engage "the core" quite a bit, but also your legs. I mean, don't overtrain like crazy with them, but yeah, they're pretty great. I know they improved my sprints a lot, and even improved my mile time even though my aerobic capacity sucks.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 7:33 pm

Scottinoz wrote:
If you can keep that up then your way more healthy that the average american, I'm gonna get back in to using the dumbbells i like them and remember the warm up and diet that i find is great to reduce injury, What do you use for that extra boost of energy when not in the mood, I know there are supplements and tunes help i was curious to what you do and jogging in less polluted areas where the oxygen is cleaner :thumleft:

I can keep up. I was doing 4 times the work while i was boxing. I did it for quite a few years. I have pictures posted in this section and you can see the results of it.

Its not something that can be achieved in a few months.

As for the extra boost in energy when I am not in the mood? I am almost never in the mood to work out lol At least physically... but I just force myself to keep my routine going.

I use music to pump myself up(like mudvayne or something super heavy and super fast paced) and think of all the wrong that has been done to me and all the people that don't want me in their life and avoid me. I use that pain while I am running and pour it into my runs.

I think or all the times i was picked on, and all the times i was rejected by chicks and pour that into my lifting(non cardio) work outs.

I do not believe in unnatural stuff. Like man made chemicals. So i have never taken supplements and never will!

I do not feel like working out tonight, but i will! I have to hit military presses and shoulders with dumbbells and obliques.

I think i have a different reason for working out though. I always feel like crap and working out counters that. the harder i push the better i feel about myself!!

So what i do for an extra boost might not work for you. The music does help though man! I can run further and faster listening to mudvayne than linkin park!! !

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Well, you might be able to improve your times by of course, my favorites, squats and deadlifts. Squats and deads engage "the core" quite a bit, but also your legs. I mean, don't overtrain like crazy with them, but yeah, they're pretty great. I know they improved my sprints a lot, and even improved my mile time even though my aerobic capacity sucks.

I think what will improve your sprints are... well, sprints. Weights work different muscle groups than doing fast paced anaerobic exercises like sprinting or plyometrics do. One will work out slow twitch muscles while the other will work out fast twitched muscles. Anaerobic exercises like sprinting also have a complex chemical process that takes place in regards to lactic acid and oxygen debt. Which in turn will improve your wind. Not something weights can do. I was never a fan of working my legs with weights though. I hate not being able to run around and glide like i usually do. It makes my legs feel like jello and i dont like the look of huge legs! It looks weird! I always think of the russians when i think of huge legs lol IDK why either.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

I got the opposite look. Giant legs and butt, and then tiny upper body. Oh well. My powerlift numbers are so screwy, I can deadlift 355 (more in the tank) PL style squat at least 275, and Olympic backsquat 235, I think like 180 Olympic front squat. Hugezors legs. I got like 17" calves, and then 13" arms. lololol. But, I naturally have huge legs, partially from genetics, and partially from walking too much on the balls of my feet due to balance issues. I am part Polish, and my dad did Olympic style weightlifting, but my last name is a Polishization of a Russian last name, so it's probably Ruskie genetics. Russians are sweet looking, though.

As far as weights, sprinters do squats, dude. Endurance runners do sprints, too. Eventually to get better at sports you gotta step out of your "sport specific" training and go somewhere else. As far as muscles worked, squats work your legs awesome. There's a lot of powerlifters and Olympic lifters that have crazy vertical jumps that rarely practice vertical jumps, they just squat and deadlift a ton and have the musculature to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25h8qcSbl5I He's 275lbs and can do a 40" box jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5E8Z4aGMY This dude here, his max deadlift was 500, Olympic squats like 300ish, box jumps 58" inches at like 150lbs or so. Weightlifting, if you're doing correct movements, and trying to go maximal on the amount of weight you do, surely builds explosive strength, if you don't go maximal, and just do like 20 reps or something all the time, then no, you're not gonna gain explosive strength from it.

I mean, hey, if you don't wanna do it, whatever, don't want huge legs, it's fine, but it will improve your sprint times and explosiveness for sure, at least muscularly. You still have to build up muscle memory and technique for sprinting and plyo jumps by actually doing sprinting and plyo jumps, but yeah.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I got the opposite look. Giant legs and butt, and then tiny upper body.

Hey man i never said i have a tiny lower body lol I do have little to no butt i admit but my legs are not tiny what so ever! I do an enormous amount of running and it has built my legs up! Look at some of the olympic sprinters now a days. they have huge cut up thighs and calves!

1000Knives wrote:
Oh well. My powerlift numbers are so screwy, I can deadlift 355 (more in the tank) PL style squat at least 275, and Olympic backsquat 235, I think like 180 Olympic front squat. Hugezors legs.

Damn your a beast bro! Must have taken a long time to get that far huh?

1000Knives wrote:
I got like 17" calves, and then 13" arms. lololol.

LMAO man wow lol My biceps are 17 inches and my calves are probably 13 lol You were about being the opposite lol

1000Knives wrote:
But, I naturally have huge legs, partially from genetics, and partially from walking too much on the balls of my feet due to balance issues.
I usually walk on my tip toes due to running on them and so often. I have become used to it! I think thats why i walk so fast... I never really leave run mode lol I will get out of the car and speed walk to and from the time i get in the store to the time i leave.

1000Knives wrote:
I am part Polish,

i will keep my jokes to myself lol

1000Knives wrote:
and my dad did Olympic style weightlifting, but my last name is a Polishization of a Russian last name, so it's probably Ruskie genetics. Russians are sweet looking, though.

Russians are beasts son!! !

1000Knives wrote:
As far as weights, sprinters do squats, dude. Endurance runners do sprints,

Of course we do! it helps so much you have no idea!! ! I manly did it for boxing to get that boost in the last 30 seconds of the round to help me win!! But i started running races and it helped me places 1rst a few times out of 400 or so people.

1000Knives wrote:
Eventually to get better at sports you gotta step out of your "sport specific" training and go somewhere else.

Always dude! I was told to train like my opponent is training harder than me! the thing is you dont know how hard he is training. Makes for some good pushing!! !

1000Knives wrote:
As far as muscles worked, squats work your legs awesome. There's a lot of powerlifters and Olympic lifters that have crazy vertical jumps that rarely practice vertical jumps, they just squat and deadlift a ton and have the musculature to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25h8qcSbl5I He's 275lbs and can do a 40" box jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5E8Z4aGMY This dude here, his max deadlift was 500, Olympic squats like 300ish, box jumps 58" inches at like 150lbs or so.

Holy crap dude! Thats insane lol I could imagine dunking is not a problem for him!

1000Knives wrote:
Weightlifting, if you're doing correct movements, and trying to go maximal on the amount of weight you do, surely builds explosive strength.

I dont know, i am unsure so i cannot say otherwise.

1000Knives wrote:
if you don't go maximal, and just do like 20 reps or something all the time, then no, you're not gonna gain explosive strength from it.

Plyometrics will guarantee explosive strength!! !!

1000Knives wrote:
I mean, hey, if you don't wanna do it, whatever, don't want huge legs, it's fine, but it will improve your sprint times and explosiveness for sure, at least muscularly. You still have to build up muscle memory and technique for sprinting and plyo jumps by actually doing sprinting and plyo jumps, but yeah.

Good to know!! I guess the more muscle the more oxygen your body has to borrow huh?

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Well, it looks good enough if you just want some physical activity in your life. Your 2-mile time is actually pretty damn good. But if you are actually trying to achieve something (e.g. aerobic output, faster 2-mile time, better performance in a sport, more general strength, etc.) then you have to train a lot more specifically. Actually train for something instead of just working out.

EDIT: I just noticed that you were prepping for a 5k. Is that a race? If it is, you probably want to be doing more specific running drills. And by "cutting up" I assume you mean you want to be leaner, meaning a lower body fat percentage. With that it's more about how and what you eat rather than your workout routine.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 9:47 pm

Palakol wrote:
Well, it looks good enough if you just want some physical activity in your life. Your 2-mile time is actually pretty damn good. But if you are actually trying to achieve something (e.g. aerobic output, faster 2-mile time, better performance in a sport, more general strength, etc.) then you have to train a lot more specifically. Actually train for something instead of just working out.

EDIT: I just noticed that you were prepping for a 5k. Is that a race? If it is, you probably want to be doing more specific running drills. And by "cutting up" I assume you mean you want to be leaner, meaning a lower body fat percentage. With that it's more about how and what you eat rather than your workout routine.

Lol i was like didnt he read my post haha Glad you caught that!! But yeah a 5k is a 3.1 mile race. As for more specific running drills.... I know what i am doing. I have done tons of em! i have placed from 1rst to 23rd. I am hoping to do good in this one too. It has been a year or so since my last race.

Yeah, i know. I boxed for 5 years and fought at 165lbs. Being that I couldnt make 152. Since in tournaments, you have to be spot on for the finals and i was always getting dizzy at 165. I made it as far as 158 and it was too much.

My diet was something serious!! !

Last edited by amboxer21 on 03 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:47 pm

I notice that you are training your upper body (weights) for a few days in a row, then resting for a few days. Have you thought of spreading the weights out a bit? When you are working your chest, for example, other upper body parts will be working as well, albeit to a lesser extent, so you won't be really allowing them to rest. When you are going through DOMS in your shoulders, you will be working them again with the plyometrics. Could you do some of the weights on the weekend? Just a thought.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:52 pm

Yeah, but with the huge lower body lift numbers, I got crappy upper body lift numbers. I think my bench is probably like 115 or 135 or something. I know on an incline (only bench I use with any frequency) my max is 40lbs per side. This is at 195 bodyweight, I'd like to cut to 180-175. For upper body exercise, my favorite is strict standing overhead presses, as you gotta brace your spine for it, so it gives more "core" workout. My max for that is 115. I got longish arms, and they're twigs. My legs have grown from weightlifting, but it's just genetics for the most part. Like, for calf press, the machine at my gym maxed out at 160, I managed to do 10 reps my first time walking in with no real working out experience ever, besides playing sports as a kid and riding bikes when I was 16-17 years old. I didn't try this until later, but I managed to do the max 160 easily for 10 reps on each leg with the calf press. First time leg pressing I was able to do like 400 with a good ROM, 500 with a crappier ROM. First time squatting (after like a month of leg presses), with a manta rayhttp://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newslett ... ta-ray.jpg , was doing 225, probably not too good of a ROM, though (on the same manta ray and crappier ROM, I managed to do 365, but that doesn't really count.) I've pretty much only been lifting weights since maybe a month or two from now last year.

I do gotta do some more upper body work, but I don't really like the look of lots of upper body bulk, and I just suck at it to begin with and don't find it that enjoyable. But it is recommended for skaters, though, doing some. That and my aerobic capacity should be better. My last time checking for mile times, I ran .9 miles in 8 minutes, but I walked half of it. So if I could like, run it all, I'd have a fast mile. So I guess gotta work on those weaknesses, you know? I pretty much do no cardio except my ice skating, which isn't bad really, but ice skating I gotta work on it more as technique and less as "working out" so it's not just endless laps around the rink really fast like when I first started. Maybe once the local college opens their rink again I'll go there more often, that place is sweet, indoor track, and full weight room with like 4 Olympic platforms. I'd like to see what I could get my 100m time to, just for kicks.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 9:55 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
I notice that you are training your upper body (weights) for a few days in a row, then resting for a few days. Have you thought of spreading the weights out a bit? When you are working your chest, for example, other upper body parts will be working as well, albeit to a lesser extent, so you won't be really allowing them to rest. When you are going through DOMS in your shoulders, you will be working them again with the plyometrics. Could you do some of the weights on the weekend? Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback! I have isolated shoulders and upper back with on Tuesday. Wednesday i have pecs. To be honest the butterflies do hit my shoulders a bit but not much. Mostly outter pectorials. The upperbody plyometrics are very light weights and use fast twitch muscles mostly.

I thought the entire weekend would be good enough rest?

So, how would you suggest i do it? Please elaborate. I am always open to new and better things!!

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Yeah, but with the huge lower body lift numbers, I got crappy upper body lift numbers. I think my bench is probably like 115 or 135 or something.

Wow dude thats pretty low! If you worked on your upper body like you did your lower body, you'd give arnold swartzenegger a run for his money lol Im exaggerating but you get the point!

1000Knives wrote:
I know on an incline (only bench I use with any frequency) my max is 40lbs per side. This is at 195 bodyweight, I'd like to cut to 180-175. For upper body exercise, my favorite is strict standing overhead presses, as you gotta brace your spine for it, so it gives more "core" workout. My max for that is 115. I got longish arms, and they're twigs. My legs have grown from weightlifting, but it's just genetics for the most part. Like, for calf press, the machine at my gym maxed out at 160, I managed to do 10 reps my first time walking in with no real working out experience ever, besides playing sports as a kid and riding bikes when I was 16-17 years old. I didn't try this until later, but I managed to do the max 160 easily for 10 reps on each leg with the calf press. First time leg pressing I was able to do like 400 with a good ROM, 500 with a crappier ROM. First time squatting (after like a month of leg presses), with a manta rayhttp://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newslett ... ta-ray.jpg , was doing 225, probably not too good of a ROM, though (on the same manta ray and crappier ROM, I managed to do 365, but that doesn't really count.) I've pretty much only been lifting weights since maybe a month or two from now last year.

1000Knives wrote:
I do gotta do some more upper body work, but I don't really like the look of lots of upper body bulk, and I just suck at it to begin with and don't find it that enjoyable.

I dont think anyone finds it enjoyable! This is the one thing that i can say that someone can love but hate at the same time! I hate working out but i absolutely love it! I cant explain it. Its weird! But i am the opposite. I hate how a big lower body looks! It looks so unnatural man! IDK to each their own!

Right now i feel like i didnt work out hard enough tonight and feel so outta shape. It makes me dwell on tomorrows workout and want it so much more! It makes me work out so much harder with each week that passes. I got up to working out 6 hours a day when i was boxing. of course a lot of it was spent sparring. At least an hour and a half spent sparring and training in the gym. Plus the running and abs and arms and jump rope, etc. I think i was on the verge of an intervention lol

1000Knives wrote:
But it is recommended for skaters, though, doing some.

What kind of skating do you do? Figure or pro skate boarding?

1000Knives wrote:
That and my aerobic capacity should be better. My last time checking for mile times, I ran .9 miles in 8 minutes, but I walked half of it.

*8 minutes on a mile is probably average. When its race time i run a mile from anywhere around 5 minutes and 35 seconds to 5 minutes and 57 seconds. I am far off now.

I bet if you did walk your time would have been pretty good!! ! you should give it a try sometime and let me know how you make out!!

1000Knives wrote:
So if I could like, run it all, I'd have a fast mile.

Like i said before, yes you definitely would!!

1000Knives wrote:
So I guess gotta work on those weaknesses, you know? I pretty much do no cardio except my ice skating, which isn't bad really, but ice skating I gotta work on it more as technique and less as "working out" so it's not just endless laps around the rink really fast like when I first started.

That answers my question about what kind of skating you do lol

1000Knives wrote:
Maybe once the local college opens their rink again I'll go there more often, that place is sweet, indoor track, and full weight room with like 4 Olympic platforms. I'd like to see what I could get my 100m time to, just for kicks.

Are you going to do anything with your skating? Like go pro?? Or is it just a hobby?

Also, I am trying to run in the seaside 5k or if my time is good enough... the half marathon. Its annual.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm

Well, if you already know what you are doing with your running drills then go right ahead and do it. You don't need to ask us then, do you?

Anyway, I think you're doing too much isolation work without any real objective. You only do isolation work if you're actually bodybuilding.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

Palakol wrote:
Well, if you already know what you are doing with your running drills then go right ahead and do it. You don't need to ask us then, do you?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I apologize for being a jerk! I was just asking what you thought of the routine overall.

Palakol wrote:
Anyway, I think you're doing too much isolation work without any real objective. You only do isolation work if you're actually bodybuilding.

I dont understand. I thought my objective was to cut and just get into better shape.

Last edited by amboxer21 on 03 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

1000knives here is a race result sheet from 2009.

[img][800:355]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff455/amboxer21/OMR5k2009.png[/img]

I think it is a crappy time. 5 minutes and 57 seconds a mile.. I could have done better!! 6th place isn't so bad though. Compared to the hundreds of people racing right?

Oh my real name is Anthony Guevara BTW. So you know who to look for in the results.