If marijuana is legalized, will more people smoke it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 9:07 pm

Will more people smoke it if it's legal?

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

More people might give it a try, but I doubt the numbers will change all that much.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:22 pm

I actually think the number of people who smoke would go down.

It would no longer be "rebellious" to smoke something that is legal.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:29 pm

I think it would probably go up a bit (especially amongst the middle-aged who smoked it in the past but gave it up), but then what's the problem with that?

And, it might also reduce the alcohol consumption (probably amongst the same population of people), which would probably be a good thing.

Last edited by Apple_in_my_Eye on 05 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

I'd say it would go up. A lot of people are against doing something considered illegal, just because it is illegal, and some of them may go for it when that stops being the case.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I actually think the number of people who smoke would go down.

It would no longer be "rebellious" to smoke something that is legal.

That might be possible as well. :wink:

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2012, 10:36 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think it would probably go up a bit (especially amongst the middle-aged who smoked it in the past but gave it up), but then what's the problem with that?

And, it might also reduce the alcohol consumption (probably amongst the same population of people), which would probably be a good thing.

I suppose that depends on how many people drive utterly stoned, doesn't it?

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

I think those who smoke it as a form of rebellion due to it being illegal might quit, and it's possible that those who thought about smoking but haven't because of the legal issues might try it. One thing that would happen is that state and local governments might put a tax on marijuana. My city had a ballot measure locally that said that if the state measure legalizing marijuana passed, there would be a local tax on it. As the state thing failed to pass, it was no longer an issue. Medical uses are legal in my state, but cities can make it hard for places that provide medial marijuana to set up space if a location is too close to a school.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

ADoyle90815 wrote:
I think those who smoke it as a form of rebellion due to it being illegal might quit, and it's possible that those who thought about smoking but haven't because of the legal issues might try it. One thing that would happen is that state and local governments might put a tax on marijuana. My city had a ballot measure locally that said that if the state measure legalizing marijuana passed, there would be a local tax on it. As the state thing failed to pass, it was no longer an issue. Medical uses are legal in my state, but cities can make it hard for places that provide medial marijuana to set up space if a location is too close to a school.
Might? Of course they would.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 11:26 pm

I would definitely smoke marijuana more if it was legal. Which is to say that I might smoke it once a year instead of once a decade.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 11:39 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I suppose that depends on how many people drive utterly stoned, doesn't it?

I was thinking more of the overall health effects of alcohol being more negative.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 8:49 am

I would probably smoke marijuana about as often as I drink alcohol, which is 3-4 times a year. Neither drinking nor smoking (of any kind) is healthy. Like cake, it should be reserved as a treat and not consumed daily.
As long as pot is illegal, the chance I'll ever try it is slim to none. I have a hard enough time dealing with clerks in stores; I can't imagine ME doing a drug deal. :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:20 am

Jitro wrote:
Will more people smoke it if it's legal?

Very likely.

ruveyn

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 3:25 pm

People who don't because of its illegality would probably give it a try. They may decide they like it and then the numbers would go up. If the stigma of using an illegal substance was gone, it would slowly become more mainstream. Then marketing would come into play and people who respond to that would start smoking. Oh what a wonderful world :D

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 3:26 pm

Just because it was legally doesn't mean everyone will smoke it. Tobacco and Alcohol is legal but not everyone does it.

Jaythefordman
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

Statistics from places that have decriminalise marijuana show that there is a small jump in use after decriminalisation, but very shortly after that it comes down to the same or less than before.

Goes to show. legal or not, people will still smoke