Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

simplisticseth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm

So I'm moving in about a month and I really want a job in retail (especially gamestop). Any advice on what to do?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 11:35 pm

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 11:51 pm

Quote:
Apply.

Yep.

stumbling_forward
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2012, 12:08 am

Don't mean to pile on, but: you can't get the job without applying.

As a wise man once said to me: "First things first." I have to break sh_t down that simply sometimes (alright... often).

Best of luck & regards.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 4:22 am

Yes applying will help. I've worked in retail (in the UK) on and off for nearly a decade so I will try and give you some tips.

1) Product knowledge and passion is important, so if you like and have an interest in what you are selling that is ideal.
2) Product knowledge is not the only important aspect, you have to have the customer service skills to match.
3) In retail being punctual and reliable is very important. If you are late you can't simply catch up on your work later as you could in an office environment - there needs to be the correct amount of staff for the shop to run well.
4)If you have any experience that is relevant then that will help. It doesn't have to be specific to retail but if you have experience at past jobs, school, college etc which show that you are reliable, trustworthy and able to interact with a wide variety of people then that will help.

Good luck, I hope you get the job you want :)

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 7:27 am

Hand in your CV (I think it's called something else in America - it has your details, including education, etc) and a covering letter.

stumbling_forward

06 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

Resumé is the preferred term in the U.S., for whatever reason(s). We seem to reserve the phrase 'curriculum vitae' for the world of academia (I don't think we ever use the abbreviation CV). I prefer the phrase to resumé, personally, but I'm more fond of Latin than I am of French for my flourishes in speech & writing.

'Bumping' my prior best wishes to you, simplisticseth, in your job search and your venture towards independence. I find it to be difficult, myself, but worth the trouble (most days, anyway).

Regards and best wishes to all.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

CV is usually called Resume in America.

You have to apply. Stores like Gamestop and such all use online based applications.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

When I worked for a big box retailer, all applications were dropped off at the Customer Service desk. I can tell you when the rare person who was friendly, showed an eager attitude (but not TOO eager, they usually quit after a couple of weeks), dressed cleanly and didn't look like they came right from jail showed up the girls on the desk would actually put a smiley face or other mark to indicate that this person deserves extra attention. If they looked like a complete waste of time for example they walked in, threw the application on the desk and quickly left they would also make a note of it. Didn't guarantee anything but strongly influenced who was hired.

BTW, not trying to burst your bubble but just because you love games doesn't mean you would enjoy a place like Gamestop. It's not nearly as good as you might think. Best thing to do is keep an open mind and don't focus too much on one place.