Talking at people, assuming everyone will listen

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DreamyRocky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2012, 5:11 pm

I've always had this problem in school. When encountering other students I would just blabber away regardless if other people were interested or even paying attention. Then I learned people weren't really paying attention and then I'd wonder how I was going to do that [get their attention] if I don't even know their names so I could at least call out to them.

Last edited by DreamyRocky on 10 Jul 2012, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

Yeah I reckon I did that... mind I think some people just picked on that and said something like "What you talking about you weirdo?" to which I became blanked.
I decide not to answer that question as I think if they are going to be a jerk, so can I.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

I am always asking if they heard me and I expect them to respond, if not, I assume they are not listening. If someone keeps going "oh" I wouldn't even guess they are not listening.

When I speak to my husband, I ask him if he heard what I just said when he doesn't say a word and he goes "yeah I heard you."

Also if other people are talking, chances are they not not listening to a word you are saying. Same as if another person is talking to them and chances are they may not be listening to you if you start speaking to them. If you are talking to someone and then another person comes and starts talking to that person and that person starts to talk to them, chances are they are not listening to you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When I speak to my husband, I ask him if he heard what I just said when he doesn't say a word and he goes "yeah I heard you."

LOL.
Sorry but that's the typical answer.
You should follow up with "go on then, repeat what I said word for word."

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

DreamyRocky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

People would wonder who I was talking to. I'm not saying I kept on talking unaware of people's attention, but rather I would just start spontaneously talking without an introduction.

I also tend to butt into conversations, but that might be an ADHD thing.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2012, 3:47 am

DreamyRocky wrote:
I've always had this problem in school. When encountering other students I would just blabber away regardless if other people were interested or even paying attention. Then I learned people weren't really paying attention and then I'd wonder how I was going to do that if I don't even know their names so I could at least call out to them.

:lol:

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:09 am

The curse is I know I am annoying but the words just keep pouring out.

EQ: 6.

DreamyRocky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

I just noticed I said "that" thinking I mentioned I wanted to get people's attention, but didn't know how.. so I edited my post and added something in brackets [].