Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How are you at math?
I'm Very good at math and/or I can answer any math problem 47%  47%  [ 34 ]
I'm average at math, I passed math classes in school like "normal people" 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
I'm terrible at math 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
I have a Math disability 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 73

trinket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

How are you at math?

I'm curious on how other Aspie's are at math, like how many are good and how many are not so good at math.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

I'm very bad at math. It just doesn't come naturally to me.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jul 2012, 3:50 pm

I bossed Maths until the age of 16, representing my school in a European Maths competition (ladies, please, restrain yourselves). Then for the next year I found it boring and I was only doing it because I had to take a fourth subject for a year, so I didn't do as well.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

I don't know what to vote. I can't "answer any math problem", but my math skills have always been, for the most part, a good deal better than my peers, and I've usually needed little practice to pick up new math skills. At the same time, I'm not really into math. Beyond the math classes I took in university, I have not tried teaching myself more.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2012, 3:52 pm

Math was one of my worst classes until around 6th grade, then something clicked and I was really really good at it from then on. Right up until calculus, when an incomprehensible teacher killed it for me.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

I put "I'm terrible at math." But I'm probably actually falling under "I have a math disability," due to my NVLD. When I was younger I was in private school, and did reasonably good at arithmetic, but the teachers spent a LOT of time individually with me to make sure I "got" stuff. That and I'd study flash cards with my mother an hour a night sometimes, etc. Arithmetic is sorta easy, as it's almost more rote memorization, ie, you can get through long division with just having times tables memorized. Like at school, we even did things called "Mad Minute" sheets, where it was 1 minute, and 50 times table problems, and I'd not do too bad at them, I wasn't top of the class, but I was definitely higher middle, usually getting like 40ish problems done in a minute.

Once I got to pre-algebra in middle school I failed miserably, and they gave me a D- just to let me advance to 9th grade. 9th grade math in SPED, I was basically prealg, and failed that. Oddly enough, in business math and statistics, I did great, it's very concrete and just relies on basic arithmetic, and it's more real life concepts to work with, too. I could do story problems better than just seeing numbers.

Last edited by 1000Knives on 07 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trinket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

Atomsk wrote:
I don't know what to vote. I can't "answer any math problem", but my math skills have always been, for the most part, a good deal better than my peers, and I've usually needed little practice to pick up new math skills. At the same time, I'm not really into math. Beyond the math classes I took in university, I have not tried teaching myself more.

that's why I put the "and/or" in there

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

I consider myself to have a ''math disability''.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

trinket wrote:
that's why I put the "and/or" in there

Ahhh, I didn't notice that. Voted that option now.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

got a 740 of 800 in math on the PSAT's.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

Special interest in mathematics. Arithmetic is useful but silly.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

I was terrible at math in grade school and when I first went to college. However, I was under a lot of stress and anxiety during that part of my life so I had a lot of difficulty learning anything. When I went back to college in my early 30's I found that I was quite good at math and got as far as completing Calculus I before I had to quit school again because of too many things going wrong in my life at the time.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

I was average in math up until high school. Algebra? Forget it. Geometry came easier to me.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I put "I'm terrible at math." But I'm probably actually falling under "I have a math disability," due to my NVLD. When I was younger I was in private school, and did reasonably good at arithmetic, but the teachers spent a LOT of time individually with me to make sure I "got" stuff. That and I'd study flash cards with my mother an hour a night sometimes, etc. Arithmetic is sorta easy, as it's almost more rote memorization, ie, you can get through long division with just having times tables memorized. Like at school, we even did things called "Mad Minute" sheets, where it was 1 minute, and 50 times table problems, and I'd not do too bad at them, I wasn't top of the class, but I was definitely higher middle, usually getting like 40ish problems done in a minute.

Once I got to pre-algebra in middle school I failed miserably, and they gave me a D- just to let me advance to 9th grade. 9th grade math in SPED, I was basically prealg, and failed that. Oddly enough, in business math and statistics, I did great, it's very concrete and just relies on basic arithmetic, and it's more real life concepts to work with, too. I could do story problems better than just seeing numbers.

I'm pretty much the polar opposite of this.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:56 pm

Depends what you mean. I'm good at understanding and writing proofs of clearly-stated theorems. Not so good at adding up numbers in my head.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:27 pm

Cannot remember a number for 3 seconds. What's my phone number? Even when I write it down, I get it wrong. Yeah, high school was a real party.

EQ: 6.