Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

Hey everyone,

a kid, one of my intense interests was roads and road maps. Now that Im an adult and have a car, I found that I absolutely love driving. Most people I know take a trip to actually get somewhere, and get there as quickly as possible. Call me weird but the exact opposite is true for me. I start driving with no destination in mind, I just drive.

For those of you familiar with the New England area, you know that the fastest way to get from Maine to Boston is I-95, Route 1 in Maine in the summer is not what most would consider a good time. Well, I guess Im not like most people. Yesterday I drove 13 hours just for the heck of it. I started in Bangor maine with the goal of going as far as Portland via the back roads. I got just ouside of Portland and said, screw it, lets go to massachusetts. I ended up in my old town of Salem MA. I stopped for lunch and headed back. I took Route 1 the ENTIRE way, I encountered some of the thickest traffic but did not mind one bit. I found it incredibly relaxing.

A trip that takes a normal person about 4 hours on the interstate took me just under 9 hours going up the coast. If i had the spare cash I would have done it again today.

I dont get it, so many people detest driving especially in heavy summer saturday traffic, but i love it!

Maybe i am crazy, i drove 500 miles because i had nothing better to do

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

I love to drive and have a fascination with maps and actually work on a major historic roadway and love it.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:20 pm

That's funny, I took almost the exact opposite route once in 2003 (from Newburyport, MA to Bangor via backroads) for the same reasons, and with the same result.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
That's funny, I took almost the exact opposite route once in 2003 (from Newburyport, MA to Bangor via backroads) for the same reasons, and with the same result.

So you know what Im talking about!

One reason I love the slow route is that Ive always been a history/Americana buff. Those old roads are the route right through our nations history. before there were interstates, those roads were the highways. I love the scenic small towns of new england.

Southbound i took route 202 from Bangor to Augusta 201 to Brunswick and Route 1 from Brunswick to Portland. I took the 95 from Portland to Danvers because I felt like moving a little faster for a while.

Northbound i took 1A out of salem, picked up route 62 in beverly and then got route 1 from danvers all the way to Bangor. Danvers to Portland took four hours, In Ogunquit ME the bicycles were moving faster than the cars.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2012, 8:07 pm

When I lived in Ohio, I used to do the same thing. I would drive for hours, and go through rural Pennsylvania and back. I would go driving almost every weekend, but it was always at night. For me, everything is much more relaxing and interesting at night.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 8:39 pm

I don't go to Pennsylvania. I have a problem with PA.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

I don't drive but I love road trips. I like being the navigator as I love maps. I used to have a really good road trip buddy but that person and I have moved on. I miss road trips!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

I also enjoy road trips. My family used to go on a lot of road trips when I was growing up. Those were some of the best days of my life.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2012, 9:11 pm

I enjoy road trips and I like planning ahead of time, not while I drive. Given the choice, I would take a car even if it took two hours longer than a plane, I hate the TSA and cramped, stuffy commercial airlines. That being said I don't enjoy driving in traffic so this usually results in driving at night.