Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

I am annoyed by a certain stereotype about aspergers people. It is popular on the internet. It is that people with aspergers are generally overweight and greasy, and sit around playing video games in a basement all day long. Has anyone else heard this?

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 3:59 pm

I don't take any pride of being an aspie, It really decreases your quality of life, NT's are happier, maybe some people are just jealous, but I could tell the same about myself :( . Damn sometimes I'm so envy other's lives that I feel like complete worthless trash, I feel too weak to be one of them.

Last edited by Dizzee on 09 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

No, but that stereotype would annoy me too

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:13 pm

I know a lot of NTs who are like that, especially around my age.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

Well I have to say that my brother could be described like this in his preteens. He is not diagnosed with AS, but he does have some traits of it. Plus plenty of Comp Sci/Math/Science students I have encountered in university could also be described the same way, though most would be NT if anything. I have met Comp Sci students/students very much into computers who are like this and I suspected had AS.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

Well I must say it is a stereotype because I'm an Aspie and I'm actually slightly underweight and I don't sit around playing videogames all day. I have 2 Aspie friends and they're not at all like that either, they're healthy and active. But the boy who lives just a few doors down the road from me is NT, is in his 20s but is very overweight, doesn't do anything, probably just sits around in his house all day (not sure what he does). Also one of my brother's friends is like that aswell, and he's also NT.

I wish they wouldn't pass all these stereotypes on to Aspies.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Oh yeah, the ones I was talking about weren't overweight, and did spend some time doing productive Comp Sci things or math. It's a stupid stereotype.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:38 pm

This is not an aspie trait, it's just a nerd stereotype that has been moved to aspies as stupid bigots on the Internet like the insult autistic as they interpret it as calling someone nerd and ret*d at the same time. I think the stereotype came specifically from Chris-Chan.

I'm underweight, as far as I can tell most aspies are.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:39 pm

I'm a big, healthy Aspie and I don't sit around and play video games all day. If I do play video games, I like to play the exercise type games that are made for the Wii Balance Board. I'm not greasy either. I take a bath, washing every part of my body every day of the week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

I feel that those Internet need to lay off us Aspies and leave us alone. I also don't "live in my parents basement", either.

EtreOptimiste
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

Glad to say I've never heard that stereotype before. On the other hand, I often read on the web that Aspies are very loyal and are incapable of lying. That's definitely not true!

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I am annoyed by a certain stereotype about aspergers people. It is popular on the internet. It is that people with aspergers are generally overweight and greasy, and sit around playing video games in a basement all day long. Has anyone else heard this?

Honestly, I've seen more NTs that are like this - most of the people with AS or autism that I've met, seen, heard of, etc. were not like this. I've never heard that stereotype applied to people with AS or autism before - although I've heard it applied to gamers.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

Check this video out. I went to an Aspie support group in high school. It was kind of lonely, because it seems the kids ( not to be mean) were pretty out there even by aspie standards.

There was this one kid whose special interest was furries, and looked he never saw light of day cause he was too busy drawing gross furry drawings.

Also there were plenty of kids who looked like the boys in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOCw9InXPKM

booksandcats
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2012, 6:01 pm

I haven't heard that one, or any stereotypes about people with asperger's.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:39 pm

Oh no! We're all gonna turn into Jabba the Hutt! Crawl for your lives!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:01 pm

I thought people with Asperger's were supposed to be a normal weight or even underweight because of their sensitivity to food flavors and textures and stuff. That is one stereotype I would NOT mind having. I no longer live with my parents but I do spend maybe 90% playing games or browsing the internet on my computer. it's just that I have virtually nothing else to do in life now and it is passing me by faster than a speeding train, and the so-called city I live in is too boring and isolated for words.