Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 236

13 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

What do you think about Aides if you have them? In middle school ( and elementery) I had them because I needed them. But I hated having them ( especially in middle school.) Just having them made me feel mentally impaired, and I thought the kids would not want to include me based on me having them. I was sometimes resistant to them, and My special ed teacher had to give me a talking to about it.

Just the thought of being in a resource room, and being "different" or having some "mental impairment" was hard for me. I was in denial about having aspergers, ( even though I had a diagnosis and IEP proving it) until early college quite frankly.

Does anyone here have aides? How do you like them? Feel about having them?



cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 200
Location: Ontario

14 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

I admit, I lol'd when I saw the title of this thread. No useful comments, though.



muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,500

15 Jul 2012, 11:06 am

Aspertastic424 wrote:
What do you think about Aides if you have them? In middle school ( and elementery) I had them because I needed them. But I hated having them ( especially in middle school.) Just having them made me feel mentally impaired, and I thought the kids would not want to include me based on me having them. I was sometimes resistant to them, and My special ed teacher had to give me a talking to about it.

Just the thought of being in a resource room, and being "different" or having some "mental impairment" was hard for me. I was in denial about having aspergers, ( even though I had a diagnosis and IEP proving it) until early college quite frankly.

Does anyone here have aides? How do you like them? Feel about having them?



I have the same sentiments, I had a bunch of aides through 6th and 7th grade. Did okay in 8th grade and beginning of high school, then had to move to a 6500+ person school in my new town lol. That was hard.

Got a new aide for 10th grade.



Yeah, it does really make you feel alien.


_________________
"I watched a change in you, It's like you never had wings, now you feel so alive"


Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 236

15 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm

Hey muslimmetalhead. The aide is their because you need it.

But you dont have to have one, if you really work your hardest. For now work with the aide, take initiative in the class, and do basically the same stuff the aide does. Really really try and learn, and take as many notes as you can. The aide will be impressed with you as will your family.

I know its hard, and ideally you wouldnt have one. But try hard and show that aide what you can do!



muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,500

16 Jul 2012, 11:21 am

Aspertastic424 wrote:
Hey muslimmetalhead. The aide is their because you need it.

But you dont have to have one, if you really work your hardest. For now work with the aide, take initiative in the class, and do basically the same stuff the aide does. Really really try and learn, and take as many notes as you can. The aide will be impressed with you as will your family.

I know its hard, and ideally you wouldnt have one. But try hard and show that aide what you can do!



Haha thanks but I currently don't have an aide, we're rying the first few weeks without one.


_________________
"I watched a change in you, It's like you never had wings, now you feel so alive"


Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 236

17 Jul 2012, 11:09 am

Remember to try as hard as you can! :D



Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 249
Location: Australia

28 Jul 2012, 12:59 am

Hahaha i want humanity to rise up, Aides for everyone world wide :thumleft:



infilove
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 655
Location: North Charleston SC

21 Aug 2012, 2:02 am

i had an aid shadow me all day everyday when i was in 1st to 6th grade. i didn't really like it because i thought it was kind of embarrassing having a specialize teacher assistant shadow, fallow, and watch me all day. it made me feel very different compared to everyone else because no body else had one just me and it made me almost feel kind of hopeless and almost wanted to be stubborn do to how it made me feel. looking back i think it did help a lot, however it think feelings i got of feeling none independent and normal was a huge drawback and to tell you the truth i almost felt like i needed an aid more in highschool and college where work is more harder and takes more keeping track of.


_________________
James Hackett

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28


blue_rose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 7

24 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

In elementary school I was assigned an aide to help me organize my cubby (in 2nd grade we each had a bin to put school supplies in, and this bin went in a cubby). Apparently I didn't know how to keep mine neat, so they sent someone to teach me how to do this. Is this the kind of aide everyone's talking about? Or a different one?

--Carrie



PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2012
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 322

07 Sep 2012, 5:18 pm

Hahaha I've never even been offered in my school you basically have to be in care or labeled having ADHD even though you don't to even be offered that kind of help I wasn't even part of the learning support department of the school in the whole of my first year- like I say they are all the badly behaved pupils that get help in classes never the ones who need or deserve it!


_________________
~Pixie~


Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,767
Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

10 Sep 2012, 12:56 am

cammyyy wrote:
I admit, I lol'd when I saw the title of this thread. No useful comments, though.
Aides, not AIDS. :lol:


_________________
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably a Team Fortress 2 reference.
http://failofcompleteepicness.blogspot.com/
http://self-fulfilling-destiny.tumblr.com/


LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 562

10 Sep 2012, 5:29 pm

They had someone follow me around all through middle school. I. Hated. It.

And I got bullied a LOT MORE than I would have been without them. I was in a situation where it was cool to pick on me - but most of my classmates at some point pulled me aside and flipped on the earnest switch, started asking what I wanted to do when I grow up because I was "so smart" then would call me retarded if other people were around.



infilove
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 655
Location: North Charleston SC

10 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

you had an aide in middle school? that sucks!


_________________
James Hackett

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28


Embertayle
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 15

16 Sep 2012, 7:42 am

You might want to rework the title of this thread, it could be read in a very different way than you intended. :wink:

I had a couple in middle school.

I didn't care very much. During that time, I lived in my mental world of fantasy books and Pokémon. As long as they didn't bother me, I didn't notice them.



muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,500

16 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

Embertayle wrote:
You might want to rework the title of this thread, it could be read in a very different way than you intended. :wink:

I had a couple in middle school.

I didn't care very much. During that time, I lived in my mental world of fantasy books and Pokémon. As long as they didn't bother me, I didn't notice them.


Aside from the bolded...OMG Twinsies!!


_________________
"I watched a change in you, It's like you never had wings, now you feel so alive"