Where do you look for a date?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 12:54 pm

I am very close to giving up on meeting the person I want to meet. I had a set of criteria that any potential girlfriend must meet. Only two people met those criteria, and one of them was under 18--a relationship with that girl would be illegal.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 1:09 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am very close to giving up on meeting the person I want to meet. I had a set of criteria that any potential girlfriend must meet. Only two people met those criteria, and one of them was under 18--a relationship with that girl would be illegal.

Tim

Actually, legal age of consent varies from state to state. For instance, in North Carolina it's 16 while its 17 in New Jersey. So you should do some research on the subject matter.

As for the gamer stereotype, that's somewhat outmoded. While games like Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering still condemn you to ostracism (unless you're really cool anyways), videogames have become really socially acceptable; see for instance the Halo Frat Party Phenomenon.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 1:20 pm

In both Texas and Idaho, the age of consent is 18. It is 16 in Montana.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 1:52 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am very close to giving up on meeting the person I want to meet. I had a set of criteria that any potential girlfriend must meet.

Then you are very close to enlightment, grasshopper. When you get rid of those criteria, then you'll be relationship ready.

- Emerson

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 2:20 pm

There's a difference between being picky and having standards. The difference is primarily one of magnitude.

That said, I think this thread is going off-topic from where to meet women to whether or not we're doomed.

[EDIT] I realized something I forgot. Within bus distance is an all-female college. The only problem is no males are allowed on campus except on weekends.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2006, 4:05 pm

MagicMike wrote:
There's a difference between being picky and having standards. The difference is primarily one of magnitude.

I would seriously take a look at those magnitudes though. I'm not saying you're wrong to have 'standards' but if in the past you have refused invitations on the basis of said magnitudes then I suspect this is where you are falling down.

One last thing - what about learning a language? Taking up a language class/club. Languages tend to be a hive for women. Find one that interests you too. I took Japanese and there was a 50% mix of male/female and of course you have to pair up to practice speaking ;) And you naturally get talking about what you like/dislike because that's part of the course! German/French seem to have much larger %'s of females. At least in the UK...

Hope it helps

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 5:28 pm

That is the best idea I've heard yet. I'm definitely interested in taking German or Japanese.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 7:56 pm

My criterion?

Human.
woman.
alive.
age doesn't matter.
religion doesn't matter....well sightly, but even if she doesn;t have a religion, but does blieve, I'm good.
weight....anything over 200 lbs I don't go for.
personality counts big time.

see, that's my criterion. that's what it should be for alll males and females.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 7:58 pm

Gamester wrote:
My criterion?

Human.
woman.
alive.
age doesn't matter.
religion doesn't matter....well sightly, but even if she doesn;t have a religion, but does blieve, I'm good.
weight....anything over 200 lbs I don't go for.
personality counts big time.

see, that's my criterion. that's what it should be for alll males and females.

The world would have poisioned itsself with its own waste by now from over population if everyone lived by that.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 8:32 pm

Again. Is there a protocol for picking up dates at an all-female college that is within bus distance of your college?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2006, 8:39 pm

JJ wrote:
One last thing - what about learning a language? Taking up a language class/club. Languages tend to be a hive for women. Find one that interests you too. I took Japanese and there was a 50% mix of male/female and of course you have to pair up to practice speaking ;) And you naturally get talking about what you like/dislike because that's part of the course! German/French seem to have much larger %'s of females. At least in the UK...

Bingo! I've been thinking about learning a new language for a while now so if I have to leave this increasingly unpleasant and badly-run country of ours I'll have more options. At the moment learning Portuguese is the favourite. What I've seen of Portuguese culture, I like. The nice beer and ladies might help, too. :)

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 6:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
... I've been thinking about learning a new language for a while now so if I have to leave this increasingly unpleasant and badly-run country of ours I'll have more options. At the moment learning Portuguese is the favourite. ...

... and is the language of Brazil. I like the idea of travelling to Brazil. 8)

I think taking any sort of humanities/arts class would be a good place to start.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 6:21 pm

That was the idea. There's no point learning German for example - where do they speak that apart from a few countries in central Europe and Namibia? I don't generally like the Spanish, I don't think I'd like France so Portugal looks like a good bet from where I sit. :)

eet_1024
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2006, 9:52 pm

MagicMike wrote:
Again. Is there a protocol for picking up dates at an all-female college that is within bus distance of your college?

No actual 'protocals'.

Few suggestions that'll help you 'score' some points:
1) Be friendly - Get to know the person, not the body
2) Don't get distracted by her body
3) Don't be disappointed if you don't meet anyone that you would like to hang out with
4) Make sure you're having fun
5) Share your interests

Things to talk about:
Majors, classes, etc.
Focus on why you or her choose certian class or major.
Be curious, but don't pry.

Initial contact - Introvert aproach:
Take a book
- you'll need something to do while you get aclemated
- choose one that you'll be will to talk about
Find a social place to hang out (ie Cafeteria)
Every once in a scan the room
If you make eye contact with a friendly face, smile back
If she's still interested (friendly), approach and say hi.
After you say hi, if she's not interested, move on
----
If approached, be friendly, inviting, and don't freak out

That's the theory of it. The trick is to be warm and friendly.
If your sad or pissed off, you're better off staying home and having fun with a video game.

Most important. Don't consider your social experiences as successes or failures. But be open to learning with practice.

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2006, 10:48 pm

In palm trees.

HAR HAR HAR

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 11:03 pm

MagicMike wrote:
You're 16; you're in high school where half the "dating" is done for social status. Wait until college because even if you find someone in high school, it probably won't last if you both go to different colleges.

How about doing something physical like mini-golf or bowling? When one of you falls over, then the other will be there to lend you a hand or perhaps help you laugh it off then.