Page 17 of 17 [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
What's the goal of the "calorie-counting" unless it's to limit said calories, aka dieting?

Curious.

It's basically half a diet. Or just being aware of calories. IE, how water has zero calories and cola has 100 per 8oz, so if you do not want to gain weight, do not drink Coca Cola as it's unneeded calories. Basically, it's a diet without as clear parameters.

I'm just not sure how calorie restriction isn't a diet by definition.

Again. Curious.

to his Interest."

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:01 pm

nostromo wrote:
My wife has been doing calorie counting and walking and lost 4-5Kgs over the last month or two. She doesn't call it a diet, its just knowing what she's eating, being aware of portion sizes and substituting less energy dense foods, e.g. she likes to eat biscuits with cups of tea, she worked out its mainly a tactile thing so munches on carrots now.

I have been doing this too, since March when I was in a changing room with two mirrors and saw that I had the beginnings of rolls of fat at the sides of my back. I eat carrots too! They're great for those times when you really want to chomp on something. :)

I've been walking and also been more active around the house, so for example, if I find myself thinking about eating and I realise it's about something to do rather than because I'm hungry, I clean my kitchen instead. I'm slimmer, fitter, look and feel healthier and my house is cleaner and tidier too! :D

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:20 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
What's the goal of the "calorie-counting" unless it's to limit said calories, aka dieting?

Curious.

It's basically half a diet. Or just being aware of calories. IE, how water has zero calories and cola has 100 per 8oz, so if you do not want to gain weight, do not drink Coca Cola as it's unneeded calories. Basically, it's a diet without as clear parameters.

Again. Curious.

I'm making similar changes to my own diet and calorie counting, ie, being aware of the calorific value of foodstuffs has helped me to make changes to my diet, and work towards
my short term goal of losing some weight. In the longer term, my diet will continue to be informed by my increased awareness of what I am eating. It seems that Nostromo's wife and I share our approach to diet and exercise, and I have been consciously making the point
that I am not "on a diet" or "dieting". I have assessed my diet - defined as the foods a person usually eats - and have made changes to my diet.

There is more than one definition of diet which may be one's usual diet - long term and
habitual - or a diet, often referred to as being "on a diet" which is a short term change of eating habits to achieve a certain goal, and discontinued when that goal has been achieved. As a verb, "dieting" is normally used in relation to intentional weight loss.

For me, calorie counting has helped me to review portion sizes, make informed choices about what, when and how I eat. It is a rough guide, not a constant weighing and measuring.

I have been being intentionally mindful about my eating and exercise habits, more in tune
with why I eat and what I eat. It has been very beneficial for me, not least because the excruciating stomach pains I was experiencing regularly about 3 -5 times a month have stopped. I have had stomach pains once since I changed my diet - after eating out with friends - and the pain wasn't as bad and didn't last as long.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:30 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Curious.

Again. Curious.

Quote:
di·et1    [dahy-it] Show IPA noun, verb, di·et·ed, di·et·ing, adjective
noun
food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:35 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Curious.

Again. Curious.

Quote:
noun
food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

So is eating "less energy dense", lower-calorie foods in order to lose weight not #2 generally, and #3 specifically?

I've always defined diet similarly to #2- a deliberate restriction of some type or amount of food in order to achieve a specific purpose.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:45 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Curious.

Again. Curious.

Quote:
noun

So is eating "less energy dense", lower-calorie foods in order to lose weight not #2 generally, and #3 specifically?

I've always defined diet similarly to #2- a deliberate restriction of some type or amount of food in order to achieve a specific purpose.

I guess it's a #3.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

Gotcha. I guess I'm just out of touch with pop culture-
apparently "diet" has a much more narrow meaning culturally than it used to.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Well in scientific texts or literature, you speak of, say, a certain animal having a "diet" of whatever, the animal's not trying to gain or lose weight, it's just its natural diet.

Yay definitions of words.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:12 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Well in scientific texts or literature, you speak of, say, a certain animal having a "diet" of whatever, the animal's not trying to gain or lose weight, it's just its natural diet.

Yay definitions of words.

Yes, in the very broad zoological context, an organism's "diet" simply means the whole of what that organism consumes.

In terms of the field of human nutrition (that being the relevant field),
deliberate intake restriction to achieve a specific purpose is essentially-synonymous with "diet" or "being on a diet".

Hence my confusion. :D

to his Interest."

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 9:23 am

I thought Honey has no sugar in it?

I know it has glucose, but isn't it a small amount?

I use it for my teas sometimes...I wonder if that's a good idea now.

I don't tend to eat chocolate/fizzy drinks any more as well. (I had one chocolate this week, and it was very small)

To Americans, I suggest using the Imperial Stones and Pounds weighing rather then the sole Pounds as a measurement.

I am just below 16 Stone and that sounds far better then 224 pounds, right?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:20 am

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:
I thought Honey has no sugar in it?

I know it has glucose, but isn't it a small amount?

I use it for my teas sometimes...I wonder if that's a good idea now.

I don't tend to eat chocolate/fizzy drinks any more as well. (I had one chocolate this week, and it was very small)

To Americans, I suggest using the Imperial Stones and Pounds weighing rather then the sole Pounds as a measurement.

I am just below 16 Stone and that sounds far better then 224 pounds, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

Third paragraph. And don't kid yourself, honey is as much sugar as sugar is.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

mv wrote:

I see, thanks for the insight, but why is it like that when it's more naturally made?

Can I never enjoy anything sweet without it being sugar? :cry:

Edit: Here's what I found if you look at the harmful bacteria in the honey.

" Honey, corn syrup, and other sweeteners may contain spores but the spores cannot grow in a highly concentrated sugar solution"

mv
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 8:56 am

CrazyStarlightRedux wrote:
mv wrote:

I see, thanks for the insight, but why is it like that when it's more naturally made?

Can I never enjoy anything sweet without it being sugar? :cry:

Edit: Here's what I found if you look at the harmful bacteria in the honey.

" Honey, corn syrup, and other sweeteners may contain spores but the spores cannot grow in a highly concentrated sugar solution"

I don't understand your question. Sugar (cane sugar) is also naturally made. Hell, cyanide is naturally made. :lol:

And yes, apparently honey is the only known food that does not spoil, for the reason you listed (they've found unspoiled honey in the Pyramids). However, don't give natural (unpasteurized) honey to a baby or small child, once the spores are out of the sugar solution (which would happen in digestion) the child could get very sick or even die.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 9:58 am

Stevia doesn't seem bad really.

Me personally, I'm honestly coming to the conclusion my problem is just not eating enough to fuel what I do. Strange paradigm shift there. I'm seriously considering like...a whole pizza everyday, then hit the weights and ice hard.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 12:18 am

1000Knives wrote:
Stevia doesn't seem bad really.

Me personally, I'm honestly coming to the conclusion my problem is just not eating enough to fuel what I do. Strange paradigm shift there. I'm seriously considering like...a whole pizza everyday, then hit the weights and ice hard.

Over here, they have separated the bitter and sweet parts of stevia. So you can buy the sweet part (marketed as Natvia) without the bitter part now - it's great for baking.

As far as I know, stevia has been the only sugar substitute that has shown not to have adverse physical effects (unlike aspartame and others), although it still the sweet taste of it still has some neurological effect on the brain, but nothing like the amount that sugar itself does.