First appointment tomorrow-need advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2012, 8:17 pm

I'm supposed to have my first appointment tomorrow to discuss diagnosis. I'm so nervous, I don't know what to do. I keep wanting to cancel, but I know I'd regret it. I don't know what to say when I get there, or what kinds of questions she'll ask, or what lists to take...any advice from those of you who have already gone through this process is appreciated.
8O

nubbins
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2012, 9:30 pm

I'm in the same boat--going to see the doc tomorrow to talk about the ASD thing. He doesn't know yet, no diagnosis. I have a couple of tests I found here, etc. I'm bringing those. I don't know what to expect either. I think it's an idea to just focus on letting what will be be--and to have something to look forward to after the appointment (having a doughnut, playing a PC game--something you enjoy).

Also--she's a professional and knows how to deal with this sort of thing, what questions to ask, getting you to talk. You just need to be yourself. But. Don't hide anything.

If you have questions--write them down. That way, if anxiety makes you forget--you'll have them!

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2012, 9:36 pm

nubbins wrote:
I'm in the same boat--going to see the doc tomorrow to talk about the ASD thing. He doesn't know yet, no diagnosis. I have a couple of tests I found here, etc. I'm bringing those. I don't know what to expect either. I think it's an idea to just focus on letting what will be be--and to have something to look forward to after the appointment (having a doughnut, playing a PC game--something you enjoy).

Also--she's a professional and knows how to deal with this sort of thing, what questions to ask, getting you to talk. You just need to be yourself. But. Don't hide anything.

If you have questions--write them down. That way, if anxiety makes you forget--you'll have them!

Thanks...I think I'm going to take couple of tests as well, along with a list of symptoms I've come up with. Hopefully it goes well. I don't think I know how to relax though, but I'll try :P good luck with yours

ker08
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2012, 9:55 pm

Mine's on Monday. It's 90 minutes, and I keep waffling back and forth between, "that's so long, what am I going to talk about" to "how could he possibly know enough to diagnose me in that short amount of time?"

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm

ker08 wrote:
Mine's on Monday. It's 90 minutes, and I keep waffling back and forth between, "that's so long, what am I going to talk about" to "how could he possibly know enough to diagnose me in that short amount of time?"

She said she was going to see me 2-3 times before making her final diagnosis, so we'll see. Yeah, 90 minutes doesn't sound like too long. Good luck.