Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2012, 8:40 am

How do I turn off the noise? It's not in my head, it's all around me. Even in the quietest room in the house, late at night, the ambient sound levels at 45 dB - quiet but enough that I can notice and be annoying.

I guess it depends on what noise it is, too. Upstairs, my daughter's fan was running so that was probably a tenth of a dB. Fans themselves don't bother me (ah, white noise) but a fan on a floor vibrating bugs the ever loving crap out of me.

The can rattling in a cup holder in the car - especially with coins in the cup holder makes me want to kill. (not really)

Funny how certain noise - even really loud ones are okay with me like firework salutes/reports (the really LOUD ones) or my own loud music but someone else's loud music in a car down the street and all I can hear is the bass of the downbeat...UGH!

Motorcycles with aftermarket mufflers...I measured one the other day at 121 dB! "It's for safety!" The majority of the really loud motorcycle riders don't wear helmets.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 9:02 am

I'd recommend decibel reducing hearing protection, except it'll just make you more sensitive in the long run. I was wearing my ear plugs so often my ear canals weren't getting any air and I kept getting ear infections. Now I wear over the ear protection with a microphone that allows me to hear normally but dampens sounds over 85 decibels. People at work make fun of me, but I just laugh with them. Why not? It's nothing personal.

When I am at the store and don't want to look like I just walked off the Tarmac, I have noise cancelling earphones and my iPhone.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

jeve
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

I hate noise.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

Due to health issues, I have an irregular wake/sleep schedule, so I need to have white sound going if part of my sleep time is going to be during the day or evening, to quiet the noise from neighbors. No, they are mostly not too noisy, except for the guy next door with the motorcycle, but even regular moderate noise is hard to sleep with. I get my white noise from a fan or by tuning the radio to static. It does help, even when it doesn't drown out the sounds completely, because the moderate neighborhood noises tend to blend into the white sound, so they are less intrusive on my sleeping. Unfortunately, the motor cycle is not a moderate noise. :(

I do agree with Aharon. Over the ear noise cancelling head phones should help. And Aharon was right about in the ear plugs. They will cause infections if used too much.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 12:28 pm

All noises annoy me unless it's noise I want, like the TV/music etc.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm

I'm much the same way.
My brain has gotten good at quieting the everyday stuff into the background, but if my stress levels are up I get super irritated at noises.

I don't like loose change in my pockets either.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 12:43 pm

kraven wrote:
I don't like loose change in my pockets either.

Oh God this drives me nuts if I've forgotten my wallet, only took out my bank card with me, took cash out of the ATM, spent the cash and then I'm left with change. I often end up just holding it in my hand or holding it in my hand while my hand is in my pocket.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

That's what I do too. I hold it in my hand or toss it in the tip jar, tell the cashier to keep the change, etc.
I have a jar of coins at home that I suppose is like a little ritual for me to do, dumping the coins in there. Taking them to the coinstar or whatever to cash them in annually is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

kraven wrote:
That's what I do too. I hold it in my hand or toss it in the tip jar, tell the cashier to keep the change, etc.
I have a jar of coins at home that I suppose is like a little ritual for me to do, dumping the coins in there. Taking them to the coinstar or whatever to cash them in annually is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard.

Yeah, it's often why I mostly buy things with my bank card wherever I can. But yes, I also put all my change (except any 10p's, 20p's 50p's, £1's and £2's go in my wallet when I get home) into a money jar.

A lot of the time I've given taxi drivers and restaurants and hairdressers and stuff HUGE tips, just because I hate all this change, even if I've had crap customer service from the person.