For the people who saw TDKR, did you feel weird...????

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2012, 8:48 am

..knowing that a mass shooting happened at the midnight screening of it?

I don't know, it's just that from me, I was so looking forward to this film ever since TDK in 2008, and I was so excited when I saw all the trailers and how awesome they looked with Bane's chant. So when the film was finally realeased, I didn't get a chance to get tickets, but went online anyway so see the response to it. Did not expect to see that a shooting would happen at midnight screening of it by a man who calls himself the Joker. 8O

Now I just get this weird feeling whenever I see something about TDKR, particulary when you google it, the reports of the shooting come up more than the movie itself. I don't know I think when it was something that you have looked forward to nearly all year, it is such a letdown and a horrific moment when something like this happens. Especially when it's hard to know if the movie will still do good or not at the theaters.

Don't get me wrong, obviously the shooting of innocent people is a lot more tragic than a higly-anticapated film that might end up doing badly. My deepest sympathies to all the families. It's just that I am from Ireland, so when I hear of mass shooting, it's either at schools or shops or places like that. This is the first time for me where I heard of a shooting happening at a cinema at a film that nearly the whole world was waiting for the past 4 years, and also the first time a shooter would take inspiration from the character from the last film.

I am hoping to go next weekend to see it, but for me....I don't know just something won't sit right with me going to it, knowing how somethng like this happened. But by god, I am still going to see that film, not going to let one sick man win and scare me off going to the cinema, which is something I deeply love.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 9:18 am

I knew this and went to see the film anyway. But then I live in a country with not many guns.
I would still go to it even if in America. If it's your time to die it's your time to die. Not worried.
I feel sorry for the producers, directors and all the people that put the work into TDKR, too. A genuinely decent film not getting it's ticket sales because of one madman.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2012, 10:33 am

We're going to see it in 2 hours. It does feel a bit weird, not because I think it could happen again, but just that I feel weird trying to enjoy a movie when I know that such a horrible tragedy just happened around it. It's almost like I shouldn't enjoy it.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:02 am

McAnulty wrote:
We're going to see it in 2 hours. It does feel a bit weird, not because I think it could happen again, but just that I feel weird trying to enjoy a movie when I know that such a horrible tragedy just happened around it. It's almost like I shouldn't enjoy it.

Just go and enjoy it :) after all, should everyone in the world feel obliged not to enjoy ice cream if we have an "ice cream killer"?

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:13 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
McAnulty wrote:

Just go and enjoy it :) after all, should everyone in the world feel obliged not to enjoy ice cream if we have an "ice cream killer"?

I just feel that the whole film will be tainted by those shootings in the States, that still doesn't mean it won't gobble up at the box office. Once everything boils over, it'll clean up.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 3:51 pm

I don’t think the movie will be hurt that much.

I went to a noon showing and the cinema was packed (the movie got a standing ovation when the credits rolled, by the way).

The Cineplex was showing the movie on at least 5 screens and there were very long lines for each.

It’s a real shame that some evil douche killed a bunch of people at a showing of the movie, but it really has nothing to do with the movie itself….

….and it is a great movie. It would be a shame to let this evil, isolated act spoil it for you.
:?

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
I don’t think the movie will be hurt that much.

I went to a noon showing and the cinema was packed (the movie got a standing ovation when the credits rolled, by the way).

The Cineplex was showing the movie on at least 5 screens and there were very long lines for each.

It’s a real shame that some evil douche killed a bunch of people at a showing of the movie, but it really has nothing to do with the movie itself….

….and it is a great movie. It would be a shame to let this evil, isolated act spoil it for you.
:?

Same here, the screening i attended last Friday was packed to the rafters, and even when the credits roll, there was a huge standing ovation.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

I took my neice who is visiting for the summer to see the midnight showing of The Dark Night Returns. She loved the movie. After we went out to eat at a all night diner. We had a blast. After we got home I read about the shooting and, felt kind of guilty because grandma might have been worried. In the end I think it was worth it. We're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to a theater (my driving lol) then to die in a theater from some random nut job. We'll probably go back and see another movie in a week or two.

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2012, 2:53 am

I still fail to understand the reasoning behind this.

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2012, 6:31 am

Tiranasta wrote:
I still fail to understand the reasoning behind this.

Understand what? Why I would feel weird seeing the film? It's because it is now linked to the Colorado shooting that's why. I don't think that is too hard to understand... :?

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:57 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
I knew this and went to see the film anyway. But then I live in a country with not many guns.
I would still go to it even if in America. If it's your time to die it's your time to die. Not worried.
I feel sorry for the producers, directors and all the people that put the work into TDKR, too. A genuinely decent film not getting it's ticket sales because of one madman.

You shouldn't really say that. 8O

I kind of thought beforehand that "What if some psyscho really thinks he is The Joker or Bane?" and it happened. :cry:

I hope no one is like that where I live...