Anyone interested in playing a free MMO as a group?

Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 3:36 pm

Pondering wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Pondering wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
Pondering wrote:
NeueZiel wrote:
I'd be interested in Wakfu -maybe-, I like how it looked. Its too bad Ragnarok Online isn't free to play anymore, I use to love that game!
Ragnarok online is free, hosted under Gravity Corporation. Wakfu is actually P2P, but I think it may* have a free trial.

Oh well gee that's pretty damn cool then. I might have to check out RO again sometime for nostalgia, that game was so grindy but I loved it.
Go for it... Although I'll wanr you, if you don't like bots... They will most likely take away from your experience. The game is filled with them, especially now since the "Classic" server has been released... Bots going nuts trying to get the upper hand before everyone else and GM's almost do nothing about them.

That game was swarmed with bots when I stopped playing in 04. I'm not surprised at all. RO has always been the very definition of grindy. The GMs have always been crappy, I remember God-Poing aka Christy Kay, I wonder if she ever moved on to greener pastures.
Gm's are even worse. There are less of them and they are more careless. Trying to get bots banned in any game under Gravity is nearly useless. It so rarely happens a bot is banned. Each of their games are dying, even Ragnarok, which is quite possible one of the reasons they made the Classic Server. You might like it though, it's how it was a lonnnng time ago, but the game is still P2W, and bot filled. I'm not finding anything about Christy Kay on the forum. It's weird how this company works. They have tons of bugs/glitches in each of their game, yet they are buying old and generic games from other people while ignoring the other game's problems... Surely they are making decent profits to be doing such a thing, but the games they have now simply are not improving neither is the population which for each game is dwindling.

I'm downloading the client now actually..wow I remember when it use to take all day to download. Already at 70%! It really doesn't sound like Gravity has changed a lot at all, the bots were always rampant in RO, I think at one point a guild member even showed me how to set one up so I could get some decent cards for my swordie. Those were the days, I remember leech groups in GH Graveyard with a hundred AFK acolytes and mob training a hunter fly over to them :P. It was the big cross, people called it. Many times RO was just a glorified graphical version of IRC, part of what made it fun (back then at least).

Christy Kay, I dunno if you do know who she is, but she was this korean gal that uhh..sponsored iRO a lot when it came out? That was a little bit before I started, but when an announcement had to be made she would always start with "Dear all user...". She was a GM too, I don't really know 100% of her significance, a lot of people who played more than me had some weird grudge against her but everyone else just thought she was the silly head GM that had a poor grasp of the english language. Really not something to laugh at but we were all immature kids and some of the stuff I heard was really funny. Once a kid apparently went missing and she logged onto the game to ask said kid if he was playing because his parents were looking for him :lol:.

So yeah, hearing your complaints, I'm not surprised at all. Gravity has always been very incompetent.

All I care about is killing monsters and wearing cute hats afterall.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

It honestly sounds like RO is going to end up like most Korean F2P mmo's... Going the way of Nexon, I would say.

It's a sad era for gamers, honestly. >.<

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

ZpykeEboto wrote:
It honestly sounds like RO is going to end up like most Korean F2P mmo's... Going the way of Nexon, I would say.

It's a sad era for gamers, honestly. >.<

Probably. RO was my only korean mmo but I know someone who played a nexon game and his account was hacked or something. Really, a cash shop and lots of bots doesn't bother me a whole lot with RO, the main thing I love about the game are the visuals and "cute chibi Diablo" style of gameplay.

Ragnarok Online-2 has ZERO appeal to me whatsoever, I dunno if its been canceled or what. I don't want big 3d open world RO, just give me my 2d sprites, monster hats and playstation era 3d please.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:25 pm

ZpykeEboto wrote:
DFO doesn't count as skill to me, honestly, because it's so incredibly unbalanced, laggy and just a general nexon game. XD

By stun locking and juggling... we aren't talking Street Fighter tiers of that, are we? Where you can start performing infinite combos that kind of ruin the fun?

1) Then you either didn't get very deep into the game or only played it once it was ruined. Bare bones DFO was incredible, with skill meaning as much as equipment for all classes but ranger (who were damn good without pro stuff, but totally broken when pro weapons mixed with their solid % based attacks) until nexon did it's thing and introduced stupid powerful avatars that only the most paying players could get their hands on and let you pick stats on avatars, making it impossible for anyone who didn't play to get avatars or enter the economy because they couldn't afford the best (only) avatars or get cheap avatars.

2) No way. You'll only one combo groups of enemies if you're fairly powerful for the area and you know what you're doing, especially after the first 15 or so levels. During the first 15 or so levels, you don't quite have a whole set of leveled skills, so things are easier.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

I played DFO from the start. I hated that in dungeons, even though my Priest did the most contribution, it's rank was crap.
That, and the lag was horrid.

Maple used to be what RO sounds like, except it's really hard to enjoy it now, since there's SO MUCH pressure on leveling and getting these uber statless gear. Unique players are gone, and it paves way to the cash whoring aspect. You can still get unique "avatar" cash items, but their cash only. There's no way to get them without cash. Though they added a nx trading option, the trade rate is still ridiculous according to my friends that still play. Mainly because of the hackers, meso farmers, bots and merchant guilds that boost prices.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 5:14 pm

ZpykeEboto wrote:
I played DFO from the start. I hated that in dungeons, even though my Priest did the most contribution, it's rank was crap.
That, and the lag was horrid.

I do always forget that it started with that terrible ranking system. That was fixed pretty quickly, though, and every class could pretty easily get a decent rank in PVE.

Okay, but, are people interested in Dragon Saga? Are people still interested in playing together? I miss my MMO social group. =/

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

I would love to try it out, actually. But not today.

And I will be forming my own guild. It'll be a guild that's symbiotic in nature. Friendly, giving and receiving to each other. A community that doesn't play just mmo's. One that can play weird and obscure or old games. One that will create community built guides and wiki's for games that don't have them yet.
If you're interested in that sort of comradeship... to be Nakama, if you get the reference, essentially, then hit me up.

Also, I've been trying out Elsword recently. It's kind of fun, but I don't like the sticky combos. That is, you must press all buttons for combos up front without pause. Just because you see an animation play, doesn't mean you can let it play some till you decide which button to next combo into. That's annoying to me, but meh. Maybe it'll be minor.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 5:28 pm

Would you be interested in just leading the WP guild? If you're willing to manage the guild both here and within the Dragon Saga community, I think I have all of the in game gold necessary. I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, but, if I do, I'll fund the guild founding as soon as you meet any other requirements.

EDIT: This is, of course, assuming more people are on board.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2012, 7:16 pm

I would love to. I guess the name would be WrongPlanet?

I always loved the name Harga Blarga, but it can be an offshoot later, I suppose. =P

But uh, I'd be a bit nervous. My last guild was a disaster. I had kids and non-teamplayers and immature jerks and those who got caught up in it. It was hard as my first attempt to manage being lenient but also trying to keep order. Constructive criticism would be nice, instead of just ignoring it and then blowing up at me later. =/
Though, my ex keeps telling me I did nothing wrong, there's still my paranoia in me. XD

Which would we play first, anyways?

Oh, I also forgot something important. Does Dragonica Online have IP restrictions between countries?

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

ZpykeEboto wrote:
I would love to. I guess the name would be WrongPlanet?

I always loved the name Harga Blarga, but it can be an offshoot later, I suppose. =P

But uh, I'd be a bit nervous. My last guild was a disaster. I had kids and non-teamplayers and immature jerks and those who got caught up in it. It was hard as my first attempt to manage being lenient but also trying to keep order. Constructive criticism would be nice, instead of just ignoring it and then blowing up at me later. =/
Though, my ex keeps telling me I did nothing wrong, there's still my paranoia in me. XD

Which would we play first, anyways?

Oh, I also forgot something important. Does Dragonica Online have IP restrictions between countries?

I can help manage things. Just think of it like a Chronicles of Narnia thing. If you were confident, you wouldn't be right for the job.

I'm not 100% about Dragon Saga's IP policies, but there is a EU version. There aren't many games without some degree of region lock, though.

Also, I wish we could get interest back up. I'm ready to jump on DS, but I want more than us two committed to it. =/

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2012, 7:32 pm

I think we can get more people if we make a new topic with the actual name. That'll be more certain than a "maybe."

Also, my oversea friends are going to download and try the US version tomorrow, so we shall see, if they get to it.

Elsword, however, has no restrictions, as I've already tested it. But honestly, I'm a little interested in DS, because El's sticky combos annoy me a bit.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 1:42 am

What do you guys think about Eden Eternal? It's really easy for me to run and it seems decent. Aeria Games itself I've heard bad things about though, lots of dysfunction from them, but Eden Eternal seems decent at least.

Only cons I can see is you can't wear your armor for everyone to see, only your weapon. All costumes are IM based, but you can make them look a bit different from other people with color changes on three different areas of the costume... And you can buy costumes from other players with in game currency.

I've played Dragon Saga. I quit it though. Figuring everything out like where to go, level, find quests and what not seemed unorganized. It was also difficult finding people to party with, they seemed to not want to talk or do anything with someone. I couldn't find my way in the game so I just quit after level 14 or so I think. The population should be a bit larger now, since the Asian version was recently closed. Many of them have migrated to the NA servers. Another thing I don't like is how mostly young kids play the game, at least that's what it seemed like to me.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2012, 6:09 am

Pondering wrote:
What do you guys think about Eden Eternal? It's really easy for me to run and it seems decent. Aeria Games itself I've heard bad things about though, lots of dysfunction from them, but Eden Eternal seems decent at least.

Only cons I can see is you can't wear your armor for everyone to see, only your weapon. All costumes are IM based, but you can make them look a bit different from other people with color changes on three different areas of the costume... And you can buy costumes from other players with in game currency.

I've played Dragon Saga. I quit it though. Figuring everything out like where to go, level, find quests and what not seemed unorganized. It was also difficult finding people to party with, they seemed to not want to talk or do anything with someone. I couldn't find my way in the game so I just quit after level 14 or so I think. The population should be a bit larger now, since the Asian version was recently closed. Many of them have migrated to the NA servers. Another thing I don't like is how mostly young kids play the game, at least that's what it seemed like to me.

F2P games will always be infested with the young, though some can be mature for their age.
As for the grouping issue, I believe this is what we're trying to solve by getting a group together here.

I've seen videos of Eden Eternal. It looks interesting, I just don't think it's unique enough for me. But that's just my opinion. Feel free to play it, just saying I don't want to join a group for that game.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:14 am

ZpykeEboto wrote:
Pondering wrote:

F2P games will always be infested with the young, though some can be mature for their age.
As for the grouping issue, I believe this is what we're trying to solve by getting a group together here.

I've seen videos of Eden Eternal. It looks interesting, I just don't think it's unique enough for me. But that's just my opinion. Feel free to play it, just saying I don't want to join a group for that game.
Yeah, about uniqueness... None of these games listed are really unique, besides possibly Wakfu, but it's a dying game and heavily limited to F2P. Finding a unique game in this day and age is incredibly difficult, then finding one that is that's also a good game is even harder to do.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2012, 6:17 am

Pondering wrote:
ZpykeEboto wrote:
Pondering wrote:

Yeah, about uniqueness... None of these games listed are really unique, besides possibly Wakfu, but it's a dying game and heavily limited to F2P. Finding a unique game in this day and age is incredibly difficult, then finding one that is that's also a good game is even harder to do.

Well, if it were just a standard platformer, maybe. Though, it is a 2.5D platformer-RPG. However, I just think EE is too much like the standard WoW formula of combat and progression. I have to admit, though, I haven't heard anything about their latest updates, so maybe they added a lot more areas and things to do/collect. At the time I saw it, there was just the one mount, for example.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:03 am

Pondering wrote:

A few things:

1) I'd rather not play a point and click combat game, but I'll do whatever, if you can get more people on board.

2) How does the combat and part synergy get later in the game? The only thing point and clicks are really good at is complex party synergy.

3) There was a recent, large patch to dragon saga that (series of links time!) updated the graphics and mapping and navigation interface, and added a new combo system.

4) With the asian population migrating in and starting with a WP guild, the party situation should be improving.