Questioning child symptoms - aspergers?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

Hi,

I wanted to start by saying that your son sounds very similar to my son - there are certainly some AS traits there.

As far as the obsessions go, my husband and I tend to go along with it - as long as there isn't anything harmful or inappropriate going on, I see no reason why we can't go and join him in his world because more often than not, he needs to be a part of the 'real world'. We also try and appreciate the obsession because we never know what the next one might be (good or bad).

All the best with your evaluation,

Marms
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

geribell wrote:
MomofThree1975 wrote:
I agree with everyone that you should get an evaluation.

Apart from that, does he have any sensory issues? I think you also need to have some sort of sensory issue to get a diagnosis of ASD.

Thank you, when you say sensory issue, could you give me an example please? I can't say I've noticed anything in this regard, but maybe I'm just not understanding what kind of issues may come under this category.

My daughters sensory issues started, although I didn't know it, when she was 6 mo old. She would gag on certain textures of baby food. She would then throw up. She never took a pacifier. Then, not until she was around 4 did the nightmare of seams in socks start. It progressed to tags, seams in clothing, scratchy jeans, shirts etc. she is sensitive to light and loud noise, never liked to be tickled and bumps and scrapes hurt her more than normal. I just found a bra that she can almost tolerate. Her dr says that because of her OCD that her brain focuses on the way things feel. She is just starting a low dose of Prozac to help with the obsessive thoughts. Good luck to you. I wish I would have gotten her help years ago.