What to play together with a 10 year old boy with autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

bnoble
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

HI- I will be visiting my 10 year old nephew and wanted to know what a 10 year old boy with autism might like to play with or do together with me- an adult--he likes music and words. Can anyone remember what they liked to do at 10?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:47 pm

Music and words? Teach him your favorite songs. Listen to music together. Ask him what music he likes. Does he play an instrument? Get him to play some for you.

Does he like to play Scrabble and other word games?

Your visit will probably be upsetting his routine at least a little; so do be sensitive to his stress level. Don't force him too far out of his comfort zone or he'll have trouble interacting. Join in with what he is doing--that makes it easier for him to interact.

But do remember that he's a ten-year-old boy, and your nephew, first and foremost; he's a unique person and autism can't define who he is. So don't take anything for granted. Meet him, get to know him, let him be himself without any assumptions. Hopefully you will make a new little friend. It's always nice to have a friendly uncle you can trust and have fun with.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

bnoble
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

THank you Callista- your response is very helpful and I appreciate it!

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

Yeah, if anything autism makes him more specifically unique. We're all off in our own little worlds so hard sometimes.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm

Here's an idea. Ask him what he would like to do and then do it.
My son would say Lego's or video games.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2012, 8:42 pm

Yes, if you would spend time with him playing his favorite toys, games or other special interest items that would be very flattering to him and he might be able to tell you what he knows about his favorite things, and may do well with one on one attention from a compassionate adult. He is ten, let him take the lead :) Most ten year olds I know have lots of ideas and would love some attention from a family member.

wintermutetower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

Kids interests are always in flux. When I have to deal with kids, it's easier to just see what they're up to once you're there. I remember being into a lot of things when I was a kid, but one thing that would totally offend me was when some family member that I didn't see very often often figured I was still into the things I was into the last time I saw them. At that age, a year or two was a huge fraction of my life, and that someone would still think I liked Polly Pocket after a whole entire summer or whatever was an affront on my dignity. Kids are sensitive to that kind of thing, let him take the lead.