CDL Truck driving and hygiene questions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lafingman0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2012, 2:49 am

I have been looking for a job for awhile and applied to a truck driving company nearby thinking the regional driving would be home every night. Well they called me back and it seems it isn't and I could be away for a week or two at a time, maybe even a month.

That isn't a big issue for me. The issue I have is I need to shower every morning otherwise I don't feel like I can function at all. I also pretty much need a hand shower (detachable shower head) and good pressure to get clean. And after doing some research of truck driving it seems that sometimes they go a couple days without showering especially if they are not owner-operators.

They are going to call me back within a couple days and give me the results of the background check and go over the details on orientation, which is a 48 hour bus trip. I really don't want to do the bus either because that means no snower/sleep etc. I did a 36 hour bus trip once, did not like it one bit.

They are offering to train me for my CDL for 150 bucks but I would have to do the job for at least a year. I would rather not go and sign up if I would not enjoy the job at all and end up getting stuck in that job. I'm not sure how to say no because I'm pretty sure unemployment would kick me off if I did. (Talked to my mother about this and she said she doesn't see it as a 'job offer' as I have to pay to be trained :P, not sure if that would fly - lol)

Anywho - just wondering if anyone has any experience with commercial truck driving and being able to shower daily (or not). Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry if the post seems scrambled. Lots of questions about this running through my mind. :P

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

Most truck stops have showers.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

Long haul operators can go a while without showering. Truck stops have showers, but from what I know they're not created equal, and some truckers prefer to stink rather than use the trucker showers. You might look into "hub trucking" (called something like that) where you drive to a "hub" each morning and deliver from the hub, then go home at night. You might have to move to a big city to get such a job, but at least you wouldn't be a long haul trucker fighting the weather, having to sleep at highway rest stops to avoid being bugged by truck stop hookers, etc.

lafingman0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2012, 6:44 pm

pezar wrote:
Long haul operators can go a while without showering. Truck stops have showers, but from what I know they're not created equal, and some truckers prefer to stink rather than use the trucker showers. You might look into "hub trucking" (called something like that) where you drive to a "hub" each morning and deliver from the hub, then go home at night. You might have to move to a big city to get such a job, but at least you wouldn't be a long haul trucker fighting the weather, having to sleep at highway rest stops to avoid being bugged by truck stop hookers, etc.

That would sound more reasonable. Living in Maine though we don't really have big cities and may not have those available, although I guess I could ask.

I would not want to be bothered when trying to sleep either. People know how ugly I get when they wake me up while I'm trying to get my beauty sleep. :roll:

I have also been doing some research on the company hiring - Prime inc. I've been reading a lot of bad reviews about them. Some of these reviews make it sound like a pyramid scheme.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2012, 1:16 am

A number of truck stops let you pay for showers there.

Thus, you could shower at any truck stop you desire.

Usually it's under/around $1. Some truck stops have laundry services too.