Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

26 Jul 2012, 4:56 pm

I think I have a sudden new special interest in MS Access. Anyone else use it?

I just got a trial version and have created a sales database and am in the process of creating forms and coding some functions into them. Gonna hammer away at that for a few more days then go onto some .net app programming



MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,444

26 Jul 2012, 5:55 pm

Did some stuff in it around 1999 in an office that was copying and pasting hundreds of Excel spreadsheets to use as templates. Moving to Access was an easy and huge improvement in productivity over that.



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

26 Jul 2012, 6:09 pm

I've been using Access since v 2.0, which had the very first OLE embedding interface. Ask me anything you'd like about it. (Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of data modeling!)

Access is still the best roll-it-out-as-fast-as-you-can database. But once you get going, start looking into more advanced DBA magic that you can get with pro DBs, like mySQL, SQLServer, or Oracle.


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.


Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 May 2007
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,456
Location: Hiding in plain sight

26 Jul 2012, 8:03 pm

Obsession with Access could be very profitable. Nice!


_________________
When I lose an obsession, I feel lost until I find another.
Aspie score: 155 of 200
NT score: 49 of 200


lafingman0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Location: Lew, ME

26 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

Find what you like to do and then figure out how to make money doing it.



Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

27 Jul 2012, 5:06 am

For years I developed Siebel software, but always had to do some microsoft stuff too. I used Access years ago at work. But for the past two years or so have only done bits and pieces. so it is stimulating getting back into it.



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

27 Jul 2012, 8:42 am

Here's a couple books that could help out a future DBA. To save $, focus on the last version of Access than what's out, since there are rarely radically new features in the newer versions anyway:

Access I/O

This is huge and has everything. If you have the time, and if your passion is strong enough, read this. You will become a complete master.


Excel & Access
Data Analysis with Excel

These are "money" books, in that they will help you make money. Read these if you have the time. In my career, I've found that recalling some arcane book's coverage of some esoteric concept has saved people's necks many, many times. Reading these money books has been the reason that I have a reputation as a miracle worker.


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.


Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

27 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
Here's a couple books that could help out a future DBA. To save $, focus on the last version of Access than what's out, since there are rarely radically new features in the newer versions anyway:

Access I/O

This is huge and has everything. If you have the time, and if your passion is strong enough, read this. You will become a complete master.


Excel & Access
Data Analysis with Excel

These are "money" books, in that they will help you make money. Read these if you have the time. In my career, I've found that recalling some arcane book's coverage of some esoteric concept has saved people's necks many, many times. Reading these money books has been the reason that I have a reputation as a miracle worker.


Hi thanks for those links I may get the book if my obsession continues.

I am at a point in my career where I need new skills and I think microsoft products are more interesting than oracle which is what I been working on.

Today I have extended my database and now have about 12 tables, I am making a dummy sales and marketing system and getting back into coding VBA.

But can I ask I have my forms all tested and working how I want but I now want to open up the database in "user" mode so that the access ribbon and controls are not visible. Is there an easy way to do that? I only have the trial version of 2010.



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

27 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
But can I ask I have my forms all tested and working how I want but I now want to open up the database in "user" mode so that the access ribbon and controls are not visible. Is there an easy way to do that? I only have the trial version of 2010.


Try using this site as a resource: DatabaseDev

This is the introduction to securing an Access 2010 DB. It's a lot of work, but will pay off on step # 7 where you can control which forms and viewable items that a user can see. Don't worry if you can't get it all done in an hour--there's a reason that DBAs are paid the big bucks.

Good luck!


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.


Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

29 Jul 2012, 8:15 am

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
But can I ask I have my forms all tested and working how I want but I now want to open up the database in "user" mode so that the access ribbon and controls are not visible. Is there an easy way to do that? I only have the trial version of 2010.


Try using this site as a resource: DatabaseDev

This is the introduction to securing an Access 2010 DB. It's a lot of work, but will pay off on step # 7 where you can control which forms and viewable items that a user can see. Don't worry if you can't get it all done in an hour--there's a reason that DBAs are paid the big bucks.

Good luck!


Thanks I looked at the site and tried to follow the steps on this page: http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_security.html

But I cannot find the system.mdw file and I wonder if its because I have the trial access 2010 version.

But I have managed to save an executable database that opens on the main page and does not show the navigation pane or the access ribbon, so that is a start.



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

29 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Thanks I looked at the site and tried to follow the steps on this page: http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_security.html
Ah, that might be the case. I know the trial version is gimped, so this makes sense.

Quote:
But I have managed to save an executable database that opens on the main page and does not show the navigation pane or the access ribbon, so that is a start.

Good job. It's a good idea to keep poking around a new tech once you start getting used to it, so see what else you can do.


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.


Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

29 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Thanks I looked at the site and tried to follow the steps on this page: http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_security.html
Ah, that might be the case. I know the trial version is gimped, so this makes sense.

Quote:
But I have managed to save an executable database that opens on the main page and does not show the navigation pane or the access ribbon, so that is a start.

Good job. It's a good idea to keep poking around a new tech once you start getting used to it, so see what else you can do.


I used to work on Siebel so I have now created my own mini version of Siebel with the Access DB. But I will probably have to buy Access to do what you suggest.

Can I ask does Access get used a lot in industry for main systems? My experience with it in the past has been as a simple one of DB that is used by a department or as part of a project etc. Does access have enterprise wide capability? to be used like oracle or sql server?



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

29 Jul 2012, 12:05 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I used to work on Siebel

So did I. :)
I worked on the CRM extensions, which were new at the time.

Quote:
But I will probably have to buy Access to do what you suggest.

See if you can get the student version, since it has most of the features but still works well enough.

Quote:
Can I ask does Access get used a lot in industry for main systems? My experience with it in the past has been as a simple one of DB that is used by a department or as part of a project etc. Does access have enterprise wide capability? to be used like oracle or sql server?

Access is used for all of the small ad-hoc databases, but never for the main source. It's too limited to be used enterprise-wide--the main limitation being that the entire DB has to be sent over the network wire to have multiple read/write.

If you want to get real DBA skills, you have to choose one of the big DBs like Oracle or SQL Server. Note that mySQL is a nice in-between DB that can do all that you need, big or small. Plus it's completely free.


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.


Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,922

30 Jul 2012, 5:34 am

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
I used to work on Siebel

So did I. :)
I worked on the CRM extensions, which were new at the time.

Quote:
Can I ask does Access get used a lot in industry for main systems? My experience with it in the past has been as a simple one of DB that is used by a department or as part of a project etc. Does access have enterprise wide capability? to be used like oracle or sql server?

Access is used for all of the small ad-hoc databases, but never for the main source. It's too limited to be used enterprise-wide--the main limitation being that the entire DB has to be sent over the network wire to have multiple read/write.

If you want to get real DBA skills, you have to choose one of the big DBs like Oracle or SQL Server. Note that mySQL is a nice in-between DB that can do all that you need, big or small. Plus it's completely free.


What did you think of siebel? I think its a great system but I did it for 10 years and I think its starting to have had its day. It is getting too broad, trying to cover all business areas now.

What do you think of the IT function nowadays? Businesses seem a lot more clued up to it than they used to and the business side are taking a more accounting attitude towards it. I always did software development but now when I get interviewed they are expecting I have lots of people skills etc, its not enought to be technical minded.



AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 227
Location: CT, USA

30 Jul 2012, 7:33 am

Robdemanc wrote:
What did you think of siebel? I think its a great system but I did it for 10 years and I think its starting to have had its day. It is getting too broad, trying to cover all business areas now.

Siebel is/was a very well organized sales tool. Moving it over to other silos was incorrect, as it soon became too unwieldy to optimize and maintain. That was v 6, but I'm guessing not much changed in the later versions.

Quote:
What do you think of the IT function nowadays? Businesses seem a lot more clued up to it than they used to and the business side are taking a more accounting attitude towards it. I always did software development but now when I get interviewed they are expecting I have lots of people skills etc, its not enought to be technical minded.

IT is dead. Any job that is technical only is now outsourced to India. You can go into the field, but don't expect to pull in the $ that was had back in the 90's.
The jobs today are all part IT/part business relationships. You have to have good people skills, etc. I changed careers 5 years ago when that started happening. (I've switched to researching autism.)
If you want a job in IT, I wish you well.


_________________
Dum vita est, spes est.