Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

I've got small question: is anyone here rides motorcycle?

How do you deal with engine sound?

and with riding between cars?

not forgetting about the balance? and gears shifting?

Or maybe I should just forget about such activity, cause motorcycles are not for Aspies?

Jinx_fxdi
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

I cant drive a car, but riding is easy for me. Not really sure why, but it seems that the faster I ride the more my "world" around me matches up with my brain. Been doing it my whole life, 30+ years. I do ride like a nut, and I do not suggest anyone to just "jump out there"- it is not something I learned, it is what I was raised doing.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

Nah. Driving a car is dangerous enough for me.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

<--- Used to have a Chinese scooter, a Shanghai Shenke 50cc machine. Fun while it lasted, but was regulated to a top speed of 35 mph. Useless on city streets.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2012, 7:54 pm

When I was young I rode motorcycles. My favorite was a small road bike, 125cc 4 stork. It was very quite.
The noise was like riding a bicycle, just roaring wind. Since Florida had a helmet law, I could not hear much and nothing from the motorcycle.

Back in the 70's and 80's in Florida people drive much better than where I live in the North currently. I do not like cars, motorcycles or bicycles passing close..

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

I have a small fleet of 50s , though I had an 1100 that I rode round trip So Cal-Springfield MO in 2008. I rather enjoy the sound of a 2-cycle exhaust at reasonable levels and they don't vibrate nearly as bad as the cammers. I went with motorbikes after I concluded it's more difficult to back into things

Most of my stuff qualifies me to ride in the nearly empty bike lanes locally

People are amazed when I tell them about riding my Tomos from here to the Bay Area

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:35 pm

I am a very experienced motorcyclist, and ride almost every day.

I grew with motorbikes from 10 years old, starting by riding around the back yard on a minibike. I rode a motorbike to school from 15yrs old. So, 38years on bikes

To me its second nature, but I am good with sports and very coordinated.

It comes down to starting off small, as well as knowing your limitations and potential. Be careful, never ride when tired or upset

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm

I ride dirtbikes. 2 strokes only! 4 stroke motorcycles are for pansies! Unless its a crotch rocket lol I had a CR250r which "was" a beast. RIP. YZ are probably my favorite though. If I had a crotch rocket I would probably kill myself cuzi i am a speed and adrenaline junkie! Ill stick with dirt!

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2012, 12:21 am

I drive a car and a quad bike but never a motorbike. Ive had the experience of being a passenger on a friends motorbike which my old neighbours thought I was in a bikey gang which was quiet funny which Im not.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 8:14 am

Been riding for 20 years, 15 on the street. I wear ear plugs, the wind rushing threw your ears will quickly drown out the engine nose unless you've got loud pipes. Both will do permanent damage if you don't wear some kind of ear protection.

I would suggest if you are clumsy or accident prone that you take very serious consideration of the dangers of even a minor accident. I do find that I can apply my super focus to riding and that keeps me from spacing out which would be bad and makes me alert to what other cars are doing. It's just one long physics problem :D

Having been in a motorcycle accident and knowing lots of other people that have been in them to you have to weigh the risk with the reward. If it's something you think you'll really love and you think you'll have the ability to be a relatively safe rider then I think it's worth it.

Get a small light bike and it will be easier to balance. Gear shifting doesn't take long to learn, it's pretty easy and become second nature after a little riding. Before you buy a bike take a riding class where you actually ride bikes and it's not all classroom.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

Than you so much for all the advice :D

I'm thinking about small motorcycle, like Rieju MRT (125ccm, or maybe only 90ccm) - to learn how to ride, and then about something bigger for longer travels

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

There are two types of riders

those who have fallen
those who have yet to fall

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:14 pm

Surfman wrote:

those who have fallen

Yes, wear a helmet and gear! All the guys that think they are to cool for gear don't last long.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

GreenShadow wrote:
Than you so much for all the advice :D

I'm thinking about small motorcycle, like Rieju MRT (125ccm, or maybe only 90ccm) - to learn how to ride, and then about something bigger for longer travels

Are you city or rural? 125 will get you around on slower roads but get at least a 250 for anything over 50 mph. Some of the newer bikes are really light. You might be surprised. If you take a class where you actually ride you'll get a better feel for what you want.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

jonny23 wrote:
Surfman wrote:

those who have fallen

Yes, wear a helmet and gear! All the guys that think they are to cool for gear don't last long.

too right, I've seen a helmet crack and a metal reinforced leather jacket worn through, if it had been his head or skin..

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:33 pm

DrPenguin wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
Surfman wrote:

those who have fallen

too right, I've seen a helmet crack and a metal reinforced leather jacket worn through, if it had been his head or skin..

The two things I was thinking as my head was bouncing down the road after dumping my bike at 60 mph where "Thank god BOUNCE BOUNCE I've got BOUNCE BOUNCE this helmet on! BOUNCE" and "I wonder if there are any cars coming?"