Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

What exactly is the fundamental purpose of smart dress? Why do people go and dress in very smart dress in certain occasions which looks uncomfortable when they can wear tracksuits or similar and be comfortable?

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

I guess the main reason would be to create a better visual representation of yourself. For example, in a job interview if you are in a suit and are well groomed, it will give the impression to the employer that you take good care of yourself and that you have a professional attitude. It can also be for vanity reasons, such as going to a nightclub or party were the basic premise is to draw others to you purely based on your appearance. I only dress smartly if that is the appropriate dress code, interview, funeral, etc.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 8:03 am

i do not understand it either. i do not get why dressing in a certain way will impress people and i do not understand why one should want to impress people. i do not know why an uncomfortable suit indicates professionalism. it makes more sense to dress casual and be comfortable whilst interacting with others or working.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2012, 9:11 am

I find it pretty ridiculous too. And it's not like it actually makes people look better either; it's just that everybody's arbitarily decided that wearing a certain configuration of clothing is somehow more impressive, but really it just looks ridiculous.

It's probably just a form of posturing - i.e. 'look at me - I can wear really uncomfortable and impractical clothing and not be bothered by it. This means that I'm really resilient or something.'

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 10:19 am

Formal dress is a kind of costume for the performance of one's social role. Its style and apparent cost conveys one's socio-economic status, among other information, in a nonverbal way. "Comfort" is not the highest goal of costume.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

I don't have a problem with Formal dress when you go somewhere special everythings too casual these days you dress up to go to a nice restaruant and other people go in sloppy tracksuits. :roll:

BroodQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

illusionary power...

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 3:12 am

I never got it either. Why wear uncomfortable attire to go somewhere? If your presence is really wanted, then it should be just as wanted in comfortable clothes as it is in expensive, uncomfortable ones. I don't think you should necessarily dress in rags, but something clean should be fine. Then again, as C-3PO once said: "Sometimes I just don't understand humans".

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 4:15 am

BroodQueen wrote:
illusionary power...

+1

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 8:58 am

I enjoy when people are dressed in smart clothing which is smartly and tidily worn, yet I say this as someone who doesn't like the idea of judging by appearance. I believe people's clothing should be a matter of their own choice and their own comfort. Therefore, I see smart dress as a positive if it is what people choose to wear purely of their own accord, and are being themselves. Not being what others want them to be in order to dress to impress.

Amethyst
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2012, 9:51 am

Keeno wrote:
I enjoy when people are dressed in smart clothing which is smartly and tidily worn, yet I say this as someone who doesn't like the idea of judging by appearance. I believe people's clothing should be a matter of their own choice and their own comfort. Therefore, I see smart dress as a positive if it is what people choose to wear purely of their own accord, and are being themselves. Not being what others want them to be in order to dress to impress.

I think people should wear what reflects the real them, because wearing clothes that is someone else's idea of smart won't make them feel comfortable, and that could affect the way they think, work etc.
Some people can look good in smart clothes if the clothes are well made. Unfortunately a lot of clothes are cheaply made these days, so they don't look so good and certainly don't feel good to wear.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 9:59 am

I don't know how to dress formally......but when I have attempted it is uncomfortable, I don't think I could put up with a job that required that kind of dress.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I don't have a problem with Formal dress when you go somewhere special everythings too casual these days you dress up to go to a nice restaruant and other people go in sloppy tracksuits. :roll:

lucky for me I cannot afford to go to a nice restaurant........don't think I could afford the formal clothes required either.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 1:42 pm

Amethyst wrote:

I think people should wear what reflects the real them, because wearing clothes that is someone else's idea of smart won't make them feel comfortable, and that could affect the way they think, work etc.

Definitely.

Just thought of a saying here. Dress to impress (if you want to anyway), don't dress under duress.

:D

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

Colinn wrote:
I guess the main reason would be to create a better visual representation of yourself.
LMFAO!

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 6:47 pm

richardbenson wrote:
LMFAO!

Am I missing something here, whats funny about that?