Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2012, 10:33 pm

Im 15 years old and I need a job. I think it would be nice to have extra money to buy different things. I have decided to look for a job but I have a few problems.

Problem 1: Not many people will hire a 15 year old.

Problem 2: I would SUCK at working with people and customers.

Problem 3: I have learning issues and I cant spell very well or do math. Not really even simple adding and subracting, I can learn it all but I forget it the next day. So what should I do? What worked for you guys??

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm

What about working in a kitchen? (For a restaurant/fast food chain) The work is mostly preparing food and cleaning. No customer interaction necessary. No complex math skills required either.

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2012, 10:42 pm

Would they allow that? I have had no training or anything in the way of cooking.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm

Usually to work in a restaurant preparing food you usually need to be trained. Fast food they'll take anybody, but just a warning, you are expected to be trained on all jobs so you'll eventually at some point have to interact.

I personally didn't like working at a restaurant, I worked at an Italian place as a buser. And I absolutely hated it as I didn't have a time to relax it was constantly clearing tables or doing dishes. And I couldn't do it as perfectly as I wanted to. Also I was expected to smile all the time and often had to be reminded of that even while carrying a bucket full of silverware.

My therapist recommended that I find a place where as I can file or alphabetize papers as I enjoy that and it's quieter. That might work if you don't want to really socialize.

But next summer I plan to work for the local school district as a teachers assistant for kids in the special education program.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2012, 12:51 am

Well, in any job you have to interact, but in a busy kitchen there's not a lot of it.
Of course you have to be trained, but if it's fast food it should be fairly simple.
(I worked as kitchen staff before in a restaurant, I enjoyed being hidden from the public while I prepared the food. Only interaction was from my co-workers, which wasn't that stressful.)

Or, how about a library?
It's quiet, little to no interaction.

marginalized
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2012, 2:21 am

The restaurant suggestions are good, but the position I think you should look for is busboy. I was a busboy my senior year of high school. As a busboy, your job is to keep the tables clean. Most of your time is spent sitting at a table alone cleaning it up, or waiting for a table to be open so you can clean it. Of course you will have other duties specific to your restaurant, but mostly you would be interacting with tables, plates, cups, silverware, and not people. I liked it, maybe you would too. Good luck.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 6:39 am

My first job was cooking for a pizza delivery place that only offered delivery or take-out. You only have to interact with customers on the phone or when they come to pickup their order. The social demands are WAY lower than working in a full blown restaurant.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

Cleaning, Dishwashing, Paper Round, Leaflet Delivery, Fruit Picking, Packaging or Shelf-Stacking.

None of these have much customer interaction, but you should still be polite and helpful.

These jobs should be OK, but realistically these are the only plentiful jobs for teens anyway :) None of these jobs need more than 1-2 days on the job training.

Jason.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

I would suggest a job where you are doing mostly following directions and things are set in a routine. I used to volunteer at the library in high school. I loved it, not only because I found good books. I would check books in and out, and put them back on the shelves. I also helped in the school cafeteria. I would be selling the pastries and snacks. Even though it was busy and there were a lot of people, there was really little interaction. I mean, someone would tell me they wanted some cinnamon rolls, I would give them to them, and they gave me a dollar, and I gave them change. The most complicated thing was when they asked me how much a bag of chips or brownies or whatever cost. That was as complicated as it got. They both needed little training, like a few minutes to show me how to check in a book and such.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 2:18 pm

Learn the IT trade. No people, unless you end up working as helpdesk or tech support in which case I'm truly sorry because those people get basically crapped on.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Work and finding a Job]

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 10:47 pm

I work as a stock boy at Winn Dixie, the job ain't too bad (my bosses are but thats them, not the work). The extent of my interacting with costumers is helping them find the peanut butter or coffee. There are two main parts to the job, stocking, which is putting things on shelves (my favorite part), and blocking, which is moving things to the edge of the shelf with the labels facing out (my least favorite). It's by no means a career, but it's a job.

Reesie20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2012, 3:52 pm

You could bus tables in a restaurant. That's what I do. It can get very stressful and obnoxious, however the worst part is working "as a team" with the waiters/waitresses and when it gets noisy. Otherwise, you get to do your own thing and just clean tables. I like it because it is a routine and you are responsible for your own work and nobody else's. Just beware that it gets loud and if you have sensory issues that can become a problem. Also you will get yelled at by the waiters occasionally and that is also quite unenjoyable. It's tolerable though, and it's money.