Page 16 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

AngelRho wrote:
TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
If it is really true that God left NO EVIDENCE, it just proves that He is thorough in carrying out His will.

The problem is not only is there no evidence that a flood happened, but there IS evidence that a flood did NOT happen. So why is that?

There IS evidence that a direct supernatural intervention did NOT happen? What kind of evidence? PHYSICAL evidence?

I did NOT say there is evidence a direct supernatural intervention did NOT happen. I said there IS physical evidence that a global flood has not occurred. We don't find evidence of the sort to be expected if a global flood did happen, but we DO find evidence (of many different types) of the sort to be expected if such an event did NOT occur. Did I make myself clear enough now?

AngelRho wrote:
That would indicate AT SOME POINT some individual organism or two from whence your other "populations" came from. Without some kind of origins hypothesis, you have no mechanism for evolution. No life=no evolution.

But I was not talking about the origin of life. I was talking about how life evolves once it starts. Heck, if you're gonna use that argument, it is just as silly to dismiss evolution because it does not address the ultimate origin of the universe either. But it doesn't have to. It applies to and explains part of reality but does NOT answer every possible question humans can ask. What you (and many creationists assume) is if evolution cannot explain everything then it explains nothing. You're asking for a theory of everything, and science might actually be able to provide that someday, but evolution is NOT a theory of everything.

As for the populations issue, again you just don't understand biology apparently and I am growing very weary of trying to explain it to you. Once life starts and reproduces, you have a population. That population evolves and diversifies to occupy different environmental niches. Over time you go from pond scum to human beings. THAT is what all the evidence of the physical world tells us, every observation and measurement of every branch of science all corroborate this. Many different lines of evidence all converge and point to the same reality. So how does that fact prove the creationist point, especially those who subscribe to the Special Creation in one week with all species (or "kinds") created separately instead of evolving from earlier species?

Btw, evolution does not conflict with the Bible. It says creatures produce after their kind, and it is true. Any offspring of parents will greatly resemble the parents, but over time, the shifts in allele frequencies within a population may result in a new species. So you could say the ultimate "kind" of creationists is pond scum, and yep, looking at some people nowadays, I can see the family resemblance (sarcasm alert, but maybe not really!) oh btw, that last joke is not directed at you AngelRho, but at humanity in general!

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 10:37 am

AngelRho wrote:
That would indicate AT SOME POINT some individual organism or two from whence your other "populations" came from. Without some kind of origins hypothesis, you have no mechanism for evolution. No life=no evolution.

Two Aomeba's came together from the Primordial Ooze.

:)

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:36 am

Quote:
Without some kind of origins hypothesis, you have no mechanism for evolution

Without a universe no scientific theory would exist. Fortunately they don't individually have to explain the universe before they get down to business.

But everything we've seen within the universe has had a naturalistic explanation. Betting against more of that is just the god of the gaps again. That poor old guy has been run ragged looking for hiding spots. That is the meager, broken down diety of the fundamentalists. He doesnt have the power to just set things in motion and leave it be. They imagine that he has to show up every morning with a crowbar to open the flowers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

compiledkernel wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Two Aomeba's came together from the Primordial Ooze.

:)

Two Aomeba flowed into a bar one day.

ruveyn