Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Macgumerait
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I dont know if this is the right forum or not for this subject, but I need to post this somewhere, as it is preying on my mind.

For many years, Ive been suffering from undiagnosed depression, stemming back to my childhood. In January, I sought medical intervention from my GP in a bid to battle this crippling condition. Having aspergers reinforces the negative and dark thoughts that spin around in my mind.

Since January, Ive been on various medications, including some antihistimines (Atarax, Chloropoxidine, etc). From May, I was on 10 mg of Citalopram, which was upgraded to 20 mg last month.

My question to everyone out there, with aspergers, is how do you know when the "benefits" of antidepressants kick in? Reading many forums, I keep on coming across how people start to revert to their "normal" selves before depression set. Having been depressed since my childhood days, how am I suppose to recognise an "improved mood" consequently?

One of my fears is that I am immune to antidepressants as I am unable to recognise mood changes, subtle or obvious.

Please share your experiences, and feel free to advise.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 6:25 pm

I'm on Citalpram too, which ironically is not supposed to be useful for Aspergers yet works for me. It takes about a month for antidepressants to begin working.

Like my doctor told me, usually the person taking the medication does not recognize when it begins to work, but the people around them see a difference.

postoffice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

I have dealt with the same. I think I have taken everydrug out there
Got so tired of them I just quite them all and I don't go to my GP for them
Just have to find a doc that understands and that's not easy either

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Aug 2012, 12:14 am

postoffice wrote:
I have dealt with the same. I think I have taken everydrug out there
Got so tired of them I just quite them all and I don't go to my GP for them
Just have to find a doc that understands and that's not easy either

Same here. I thought some antidepressants & anitipsychotics helped me for a bit after I started them but my depression would spike after a while & things would get changed again & the cycle would continue. My depression didn't get better till I weaned myself off all the meds & started trying to work on myself more; joining WP, learning about my AS & issues & things helped pull me out of my slump. My depression was caused by environmental factors & life issues instead of just being a chemical thing which is why addressing the issues helped

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:16 am

The only psych drug I've ever tried was Citalopram. I had a psych tell me to try it for a month or so. It didn't make me feel better, and I felt less sharp on it I guess. I tried it in middle school, so a long time ago, but I didn't feel any improvement on it.

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

I think most people with AS that are depressed have reasn(s) and only when those are fixed/edradicated/healed...will they/we stop being depressed. As mush as I think and I think(attempt) of every possible outcome/solution/reason... Anti depressants don't stop me from thinking... When I solve a problem I feel SO GOOD.

For those that are depressed because of a chemical embalance medication will most likely help. For those that are depressed as a result of negative things... meds will most likely not help but do help some and do push some over the edge.

Inositol seems to help me with anxiety and stress headaches. Help... not eliminate.

Oh and I read a thread on here about taurine; I plan to try it soon.